benefits

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:33 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: benefits

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Quote:
Although the manufacturing sector's share of both employment and the UK's GDP has steadily fallen since the 1960s, data from the OECD shows that manufacturing output in terms of both production and value has steadily increased since 1945. :
the statement in the first half (in red) cannot be associated with the second half of the statement (in blue) because the time spans are different (to make the figures look good) and do not relate to the reality

unless you are suggesting that in the 1960's the output\value of 40+ Austin A40's is the same as one Rolls Royce of today ?

put 3 economists in a padded cell and get 5 answers.?

Pop round to Willenhall, The Home of Locksmiths - you will only be able to get a new key cut if you pop into Minitman who major in shoe repairs.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:38 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
the statement in the first half (in red) cannot be associated with the second half of the statement (in blue) because the time spans are different (to make the figures look good) and do not relate to the reality

unless you are suggesting that in the 1960's the output\value of 40+ Austin A40's is the same as one Rolls Royce of today ?

put 3 economists in a padded cell and get 5 answers.?

Pop round to Willenhall, The Home of Locksmiths - you will only be able to get a new key cut if you pop into Minitman who major in shoe repairs.
The statement is pointing out that whilst manufacturing now has a smaller share of UK GDP, it has still grown in both production and value. This would imply that other sectors (services) have grown at a faster rate.

I mentioned before that the type of manufacturing has moved up-market and no longer employes the droves in making low-value items (like door locks). This doesn't mean that manufacturing has disappeared in the UK, merely that it has had to adjust to globalization. Unfortunately we have not been as successful as the Germans or Japanese in doing this when it comes to manufacturing, but have probably been more successful when it comes to services like banking.

I just don't buy into the typical Daily Mail gloom of "UK has gone to the dogs/hell in a handbasket, paedo immigrant knife-crimers on every corner, dole-scrounging foreigners taking our jobs (?)" and so on. The UK still seems to me to be a great place to live and quite a lot better than I remember it in the past.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:13 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

The statement is pointing out that whilst manufacturing now has a smaller share of UK GDP, it has still grown in both production and value. This would imply that other sectors (services) have grown at a faster rate.

I mentioned before that the type of manufacturing has moved up-market and no longer employes the droves in making low-value items (like door locks). This doesn't mean that manufacturing has disappeared in the UK, merely that it has had to adjust to globalization. Unfortunately we have not been as successful as the Germans or Japanese in doing this when it comes to manufacturing, but have probably been more successful when it comes to services like banking.

I just don't buy into the typical Daily Mail gloom of "UK has gone to the dogs/hell in a handbasket, paedo immigrant knife-crimers on every corner, dole-scrounging foreigners taking our jobs (?)" and so on. The UK still seems to me to be a great place to live and quite a lot better than I remember it in the past.
Yes the UK is a great place to live, some parts better than others, but the same could be said about just about every country. its all +ve and -ve balancing each other out.
Yes there seems to be an increase in certain crimes, by people from certain countries - here we have woman missing presumed dead who comes from a former SovBloc country. 2 years ago an English girl was raped by someone from a similar country. But they arent all killers and rapists - my next door neighbour is a former Ghurka from Nepal with his family, he works shifts at local hospital. I know some Brits who I wouldnt trust at all.
All we ever get to hear about is the negative stories, and not the positives becuase they don't make good copy no headlines.

I feel proud that so many people from so many countries want to come here to live and share what I have here. I know I wouldnt get the same treatment and financial support in their home countries.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I take it that's your view of the UK from a safe distance....USA I believe.

I'm not saying that the UK is all bad, but it's bad enough for most of us here to have left... with no intention of returning.

Yes there is a huge problem with street crime in the UK, I wouldn't have walked anywhere at night there, here I wouldn't think twice about it!

Yes there is also a huge problem with dole scroungers and benefit cheats, and they are not for the most part foreigners either, they are often British born!

Those of us who enjoy being expats here in Spain are often accused of wearing rose tinted glasses, but my observation is that it's those that are disgruntled with their expat life that seem to regard the UK as still being the land of milk and honey.
There seems to be a complete unwillingness to acknowledge just how bad and disfunctional the country has become, but there are none so blind as those that don't wish to see!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet

I'm not saying that the UK is all bad, but it's bad enough for most of us here to have left... with no intention of returning.

Yes there is a huge problem with street crime in the UK, I wouldn't have walked anywhere at night there, here I wouldn't think twice about it!

Yes there is also a huge problem with dole scroungers and benefit cheats, and they are not for the most part foreigners either, they are often British born!

Those of us who enjoy being expats here in Spain are often accused of wearing rose tinted glasses, but my observation is that it's those that are disgruntled with their expat life that seem to regard the UK as still being the land of milk and honey.
There seems to be a complete unwillingness to acknowledge just how bad and disfunctional the country has become, but there are none so blind as those that don't wish to see!
I do live in the US at the moment - crime and illegal immigration are far higher here. I would have no problem returning to the UK (apart from the negative attitude of the locals) and may do so at some point in the future, although I enjoy living in California at the moment. I still own a house in London. None of my friends or relatives appear to have been burgled or assaulted, they all seem to be doing quite well and taking plenty of holidays.

I have just spent the past 2 weeks in the UK, I was in Sussex, London, Daventry, Liverpool, Billingham & Newport. I was walking at night in many of these places and did not feel threatened, even when on my own after midnight in Waterloo station.

I have been in the UK three times in the past 12 months, on each of these occasions it didn't seem a bad, dangerous or dysfunctional place to be. I'm sure one can find rough areas, but that has always been the case and is the same in any country.

I don't agree about it being a huge problem with dole/benefit cheats - its a great issue to prod people into foaming-mouthed rants about and the tabloids do their best to ensure a regular supply. In reality it is a very small percentage (did someone earlier post 0.2%?).
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:32 pm

must agree Meg

and when returning I always find that streets I remember as being wide and open are the exact opposite. I first experienced it after my first trip out to the Far East at 17 and its held true every time going home since then. The place seems to shrink whilst I am away.

Although some seem to think the riots were bad, what they don't realise is that similar goings on are daily and nightly occurances in some parts. Just no one was killed in the riots. Where kids carry a Knife to protect themselves at school, where schools have metal detectors on the entrances and issue access cards to the kids so they can be tracked in the building. I was involved in such a system over 10y ago.

Sometimes I think of our grand parents and parents, who felt they were leaving our country in our safe hands, just worries me that we have betrayed their trust.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

must agree Meg

and when returning I always find that streets I remember as being wide and open are the exact opposite. I first experienced it after my first trip out to the Far East at 17 and its held true every time going home since then. The place seems to shrink whilst I am away.

Although some seem to think the riots were bad, what they don't realise is that similar goings on are daily and nightly occurances in some parts. Just no one was killed in the riots. Where kids carry a Knife to protect themselves at school, where schools have metal detectors on the entrances and issue access cards to the kids so they can be tracked in the building. I was involved in such a system over 10y ago.

Sometimes I think of our grand parents and parents, who felt they were leaving our country in our safe hands, just worries me that we have betrayed their trust.
Yes it's very sad, in my own small Lancashire town the centre is a no go area at night...even for the police who's station is opposite.
CCTV cameras are in operation and bright yellow boxes incorporating panic buttons are everywhere.

Even in daylight it's not a good place to be, you have to walk past the pub where all the dole and benefit cheats hang out... when they are not working on the quiet!
They are often drunk and shouting abuse to anyone that passes... and fights often spill out onto the street.
The town is dieing on it's feet, no work and no hope for many only a life on benefits to look forward to.
The town is falling into decay, it's a sad shadow of it's former self as I remember it.... when King Cotton ruled and there was respect for people and property.

And that's not being negative, that is actually the way it is in many small towns up and down the country, it's just a miracle that there are not more riots!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 6:18 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this post, with the proviso that I'm also commentating as someone who left the UK many years ago, and my regular visits home will not mean that I'm as informed as those commentators still living there. I nearly added 'poor sods', but this is not the Daily Mail comment section, is it?

But the UK is the second biggest economy in the EU, the City of London is the trading centre of Europe and probably the world, and our benefit bill is no higher than Germany's, who have just as many immigrants.

We're still punching above our weight for a country on the periphery of Europe and with a large eurosceptic population fuelled by people who won't forget the war, not even the Boar War.

Our work ethic is not much different to the Germans, and if we had wholeheartedly joined in the European experiment, we would have been just as prosperous as they are. And, thinking of our immense advantage through the City of London, even more so.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Are you comparing like with like? I have been robbed on the street in Spain but not the Uk.

What about the black economy in Spain!

I am not an expat and just do not see your version of the Uk.

but there are none so blind as those that don't wish to see!
Is this self analysis?

Last edited by johnnyone; Oct 3rd 2011 at 7:31 am. Reason: Colour added,spacing added
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry .... I'm not one of those that is disgruntled with expat life .... but I still think the UK is a great place to live, and having just travelled the whole length of the country I appreciate it even more. I do accept it has its problems, but all countries have their own set of problems and challenges.

I was bought up in the countryside of Warwickshire and moved to Birmingham in my late teens to work. In all my years there, spending a lot of time in the less salubrious areas playing competition pool, I cant think of any time I felt seriously threatened or worried. I was (and am) quite happy to wander around the streets. The only thing I probably feel strange is the amount of people compared to what I am used to now.

Most cities are the same ..... Barcelona, if you want to cite a Spanish City. Feel safe wandering around there? Do you hug your handbag to your body, because if you leave it behind your back, it probably will be empty. Alicante .... the number of people I have heard of being robbed there (including a member of my family)!

I lived in the countryside again for the last years I was in the UK. Crime wasn't an issue there. I didn't worry about leaving my front door open. I have a place in the suburbs of Birmingham now ... again, I walk to the shops when I am there ... it's not a problem. I don't go into town at 11 pm on Saturday night for sure, but that's common sense!

I don't regard the UK as the land of milk and honey .... but it's clear to me that nowhere is. Some people escape the UK because they don't have a good life there, but at the end of the day wherever you you go the saying same sh!t, different place applies.

People (not aimed at you Meg) are very quick to criticise the UK, and maybe thats because it's the country they know well. Many countries have the same problems, it's just maybe that you dont know quite so much about the problems and challenges that face that country. As I said, same sh!t .........
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

must agree Meg

Well actually, there were the 3 young men killed in Birmingham during the riots, let's not forget. I thought the reaction and community leadership shown by one of their fathers was superb. And another elderly man who is reported to have challenged a looter in London died after being attacked, I seem to remember.

I've just come back from spending a few days in Madrid and really enjoyed strolling around the streets at night watching and listening to the street entertainers (some of them excellent, mariachi bands and tango musicians/dancers, for example). Never once witnessed overt drunkennesss or fighting - a far cry from Manchester city centre on a Friday night. Last time I was in Madrid the Puerta del Sol was full of down and outs begging, this time none at all, I assume the police have moved them on but I went to many different areas of the city and didn't see a huge number of beggars, although I expected quite the opposite given the economic crisis here in Spain.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm sorry .... I'm not one of those that is disgruntled with expat life .... but I still think the UK is a great place to live, and having just travelled the whole length of the country I appreciate it even more. I do accept it has its problems, but all countries have their own set of problems and challenges.

I was bought up in the countryside of Warwickshire and moved to Birmingham in my late teens to work. In all my years there, spending a lot of time in the less salubrious areas playing competition pool, I cant think of any time I felt seriously threatened or worried. I was (and am) quite happy to wander around the streets. The only thing I probably feel strange is the amount of people compared to what I am used to now.

Most cities are the same ..... Barcelona, if you want to cite a Spanish City. Feel safe wandering around there? Do you hug your handbag to your body, because if you leave it behind your back, it probably will be empty. Alicante .... the number of people I have heard of being robbed there (including a member of my family)!

I lived in the countryside again for the last years I was in the UK. Crime wasn't an issue there. I didn't worry about leaving my front door open. I have a place in the suburbs of Birmingham now ... again, I walk to the shops when I am there ... it's not a problem. I don't go into town at 11 pm on Saturday night for sure, but that's common sense!

I don't regard the UK as the land of milk and honey .... but it's clear to me that nowhere is. Some people escape the UK because they don't have a good life there, but at the end of the day wherever you you go the saying same sh!t, different place applies.

People (not aimed at you Meg) are very quick to criticise the UK, and maybe thats because it's the country they know well. Many countries have the same problems, it's just maybe that you dont know quite so much about the problems and challenges that face that country. As I said, same sh!t .........
An unbiased reasoned post.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I've just come back from spending a few days in Madrid and really enjoyed strolling around the streets at night watching and listening to the street entertainers (some of them excellent, mariachi bands and tango musicians/dancers, for example). Never once witnessed overt drunkennesss or fighting
Thats the point though isn't it .... we share our experiences here, and they are different. I havent experienced what you mention it in Birmingham, you haven't in Madrid .... but I bet you there are areas of Madrid you would be worried about walking down the street at night in, as there are in Birmingham UK.

Yet for some reason some people say the UK is a complete disaster area and a terrible place to live .. they forget that this kind of think happens all over the world every day
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Well actually, there were the 3 young men killed in Birmingham during the riots, let's not forget. I thought the reaction and community leadership shown by one of their fathers was superb. And another elderly man who is reported to have challenged a looter in London died after being attacked, I seem to remember.

I've just come back from spending a few days in Madrid and really enjoyed strolling around the streets at night watching and listening to the street entertainers (some of them excellent, mariachi bands and tango musicians/dancers, for example). Never once witnessed overt drunkennesss or fighting - a far cry from Manchester city centre on a Friday night. Last time I was in Madrid the Puerta del Sol was full of down and outs begging, this time none at all, I assume the police have moved them on but I went to many different areas of the city and didn't see a huge number of beggars, although I expected quite the opposite given the economic crisis here in Spain.
Yes Lynn, you are right, I regret that I forgot that incident, which is seen by many of having been a deliberate targetting of certain ethnic stores and not part of the mainstream rioting activity.. More may come out when the people concerned end up in court.
As to the father, yes, he was proud, he was eager to see that there was no eye for an eye response be people not directly related to those who died. All respect to the man who was hurting deep inside.
rgds
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats the point though isn't it .... we share our experiences here, and they are different. I havent experienced what you mention it in Birmingham, you haven't in Madrid .... but I bet you there are areas of Madrid you would be worried about walking down the street at night in, as there are in Birmingham UK.

Yet for some reason some people say the UK is a complete disaster area and a terrible place to live .. they forget that this kind of think happens all over the world every day
I can remember a dead body or two floating in monsoon ditches of Singapore, the way the cab drivers became an instant rioting mob when some soldier or sailor "forgot" to pay a couple of dollars for his ride.
Sector 6 of Cape Town that was moved enmass to become the New Town of Soweto.
Parts of Hong Kong where gwailo's didnt walk at night, where even a taxi driver wouldnt venture with a gwailo in the back.
Parts of Manila where anyone with a white face was a target.
There are places in every country, in every city (and sometimes even more rural areas) where it is not safe to go.

In most parts of the UK I feel I can walk free whenever I want, but even in broad daylight the other day whilst driving through one part of this town I could see I was being watched, I was different, I wasnt one of them...
Perhaps it is because it is my Home Country that makes me feel safer, where as in another country there would be an inner feeling that this is not home, this is foreign, and this is picked up by the locals, especially if there is no common language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.