benefits

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

baz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nicebaz259 is just really nice
Default benefits

Hi all, I am not sure if I can put this question with out being labeled a racist or bigot but here goes, if I return to the UK will I be eligible to the same benefits/grants as a immigrant from another country. I have heard I will have to wait six months before I can apply for any benefits/grants, does anyone know the rules.
Baz
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:23 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: benifits

Originally Posted by baz259
Hi all, I am not sure if I can put this question with out being labeled a racist or bigot but here goes, if I return to the UK will I be eligible to the same benefits/grants as a immigrant from another country. I have heard I will have to wait six months before I can apply for any benefits/grants, does anyone know the rules.
Baz
depends on the benefit, housing and council tax are available from day 1, others may have time rules, disability certainly does unless, of course, you are already receiving it, but even then you may be re assesed as rules have changed. Not sure about employment as we returned as pensioners.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:17 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Baz
I know a married couple in their late 50s who recently went back - they expected everything to be handed to them

they are now living with in-laws, and getting 'a few quid' a week
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:02 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

problem for someone of working age returning to the UK is that they will have to jump the hurdle marked "Intentionally unemployed" because at some point you will have had to give up a job, in the uk to go to sp or in sp to go to uk.

then if you have any money, in excess of £8k or £16k dependent on the benefit, which may include an unsold house in sp, you will not be entitled.

may I suggest you have a good read of
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fits/index.htm
and try the online benefits calculator at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Do...gory/DG_172666

It seems so easy that peoples from other countries just dump themselves in UK and get £thousands in benefits and support. It isnt always like that, but then they may be seen to have less than you.

sri can't help much further
rgds
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
problem for someone of working age returning to the UK is that they will have to jump the hurdle marked "Intentionally unemployed" because at some point you will have had to give up a job, in the uk to go to sp or in sp to go to uk.

then if you have any money, in excess of £8k or £16k dependent on the benefit, which may include an unsold house in sp, you will not be entitled.

may I suggest you have a good read of
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...fits/index.htm
and try the online benefits calculator at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/Do...gory/DG_172666

It seems so easy that peoples from other countries just dump themselves in UK and get £thousands in benefits and support. It isnt always like that, but then they may be seen to have less than you.

sri can't help much further
rgds

Whilst I agree and think this is the right thing, I know of many who have gone back, kept their property in Spain as a holiday home and have claimed all the benefits they can get.

One particular couple still use their Spanish home for multiple holidays yet are able to claim every benefit possible in UK!!! They also rent out their Spanish property when they can!!! Grrrrrrr!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:42 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

That is because they have not told the truth...it is benefit fraud
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Whilst I agree and think this is the right thing, I know of many who have gone back, kept their property in Spain as a holiday home and have claimed all the benefits they can get.

One particular couple still use their Spanish home for multiple holidays yet are able to claim every benefit possible in UK!!! They also rent out their Spanish property when they can!!! Grrrrrrr!
I have understood they don't count the value of the property you use as your primary residence but do count any additional property. Or not if you don't tell them about it.

with the collapsible walls between govt depts nowadays they are able to make links between different claims.
when working in that area last year I found that local council tax depts have been known to carry out check against the electoral roll when people are claiming the single persons credit for CT.

I know of one "couple" who officially live apart, he has his name on the ER at another place on the other side of town, but they live together as man and wife 24/7. That way she gets the single parent benefits and they have a good living with his earnings.

many people are not on the Electoral Roll as a consequence of the Poll Tax, as it was seen as a way to check how many adults were living in a property.
I know that may be mis-use of the ER but it can and does happen as the ER is publically available.

presumably retaining a property in SP is a good example of tax evasion rather than tax avoidance. But its not in the uk guv !
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Baz
No one here has a comprehensive knowledge of the benefit system in the UK at this time and it is impossible to generalise as each persons circumstances are different as to your eligibility.
Why don't you phone the DWP or go online and get it from those who know directly?
You could also speak to them about any concerns you have regarding immigrant claimants.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:34 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: benefits

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
No one here has a comprehensive knowledge of the benefit system in the UK at this time and it is impossible to generalise as each persons circumstances are different as to your eligibility.
Why don't you phone the DWP or go online and get it from those who know directly?
You could also speak to them about any concerns you have regarding immigrant claimants.
What about "DWPinSpain" - he should know if anyone does
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: benefits

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What about "DWPinSpain" - he should know if anyone does
Yes he does but I doubt that checking this forum is high on his priorities!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:09 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've heard, and everybody seems to be talking about it around here, nobody tells the absolute truth when applying, or even anywhere near it.

I know of people running businesses here in Spain and they're in receipt of all sorts of allowances from the UK, and have even brought their free 'mobility' cars over from England, one's got a seven-seater with which he does airport runs.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:45 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Baz
Healthcare you can have straight away, just register with a Dr.

As regards means-tested Benefits, you will have to pass the Habitual Tesidency Test( the same as anyone else who has lived out of the country). You will need to demonstrate that you have come to the UK to live for the forseeable future. This can be proved by showing a rental/mortgage agreement, having a job offer, signing on to the electoral roll, opening a bank account etc. Basically you have to be able to show that you have not just come to the UK IN ORDER TO claim Benefits.

It is possible, although unusual, for a returning Brit to fail the HRT. In this case you WILL have to wait six months for means-tested Benefits.

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 29th 2011 at 7:50 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:51 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
From what I've heard, and everybody seems to be talking about it around here, nobody tells the absolute truth when applying, or even anywhere near it.

I know of people running businesses here in Spain and they're in receipt of all sorts of allowances from the UK, and have even brought their free 'mobility' cars over from England, one's got a seven-seater with which he does airport runs.
It is possible quite legitimately to claim certain sickness/disability Benefits whilst living in the EU (although not mobility allowance).

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 29th 2011 at 7:53 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

If anyone knows of Benefit Fraud here please report it to the DWP fraud line.
However, be sure to have your facts right as it may cause a heap of misery if incorrect.
Likewise report those if you know of anyone working and not declaring income for tax evasion
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:11 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Seems as if it will be a free for all anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15120522

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.