Being Hacked

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough
Default Being Hacked

I left my login on the other day by accident. I don't normally. I don't know how it happened. It may well be unconnected but someone tried to hack my email account today. I had a spoof (but very realistic) email from Paypal.

I have incredibly high security and firewall etc, all checked by a computer co. too!

I wish to close this account, I don't know how to. If I don't manage it you will see me disappear for a while anyway. If you can close me down I'd be grateful. I will come back, with a new email address and name - you'll know its me. I'm told its all fine, but I can't be reassured, especially when its a call centre from India and it takes 10 minutes to explain what has happened and be understood.

I can't see where to unsubsribe on here. I'm too stressed to find it.

Mrs Teapot. (need something stronger than tea right now).
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:32 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Hacked

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
I left my login on the other day by accident. I don't normally. I don't know how it happened. It may well be unconnected but someone tried to hack my email account today. I had a spoof (but very realistic) email from Paypal.

I have incredibly high security and firewall etc, all checked by a computer co. too!

I wish to close this account, I don't know how to. If I don't manage it you will see me disappear for a while anyway. If you can close me down I'd be grateful. I will come back, with a new email address and name - you'll know its me. I'm told its all fine, but I can't be reassured, especially when its a call centre from India and it takes 10 minutes to explain what has happened and be understood.

I can't see where to unsubsribe on here. I'm too stressed to find it.

Mrs Teapot. (need something stronger than tea right now).
Don't worry. It's spam.

We had 4 such emails come in today from paypal. I found them in bulk and just deleted them.

P.S. Did I say spam?....What I meant was scam!

We get the same cr*p from Barclays almost daily.....an email asking us to log in and confirm passwords, etc.

Last edited by MnM; Apr 3rd 2007 at 8:41 pm. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

It didnt ask for passwords etc.

It said a bloke in usa was filing a complaint against me, ebay sale, and he claimed he had paid me, and i hadnt sent goods. Of course, I was really tired, unwell and read it in a hurry. Got really cross and thought rude thoughts (like you do). Then I stupidly clicked the link (yep) that said click this link (with paypal logo of course) if you dispute this. All i said was i dont have a paypal account any more and i think this is bogus.

Now I'm wondering if ive been hacked. Nothing has happened since.

Im outta here. im not happy. be back in few weeks with different address and different name. (you'll know its me, ill give you hint).

no point asking me questions. Im gone.

ps; what i cant understand is my security is set so very high AND ive had it checked by a professional.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Any emails you receive that you are not expecting like the one from paypal, just ignore and delete them.
No Bank or similar company would contact you by email and ask for your account details.
If that is the first one you have had you are very lucky, just bin them, dont reply or they will know your email account is live and send you more.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:59 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

It didnt ask for passwords etc.

It said a bloke in usa was filing a complaint against me, ebay sale, and he claimed he had paid me, and i hadnt sent goods. Of course, I was really tired, unwell and read it in a hurry. Got really cross and thought rude thoughts (like you do). Then I stupidly clicked the link (yep) that said click this link (with paypal logo of course) if you dispute this. All i said was i dont have a paypal account any more and i think this is bogus.

Now I'm wondering if ive been hacked. Nothing has happened since.

Im outta here. im not happy. be back in few weeks with different address and different name. (you'll know its me, ill give you hint).

no point asking me questions. Im gone.

ps; what i cant understand is my security is set so very high AND ive had it checked by a professional.

HEY WO WO
Your panicing over nothing !!! Its just spam emails i have had and still get like 10 a day ..
Honestly teapot like MnM says we all get them , just junkmails hoping you click onto HSBC or ebay or paypal and give them info they want ..
Just click them and Delete them , dont even bother opening them ...
Trust us its nothing to panic over ..

NO Banks email you .. They rely on people like you who panic ... Trust us

My emails include
The Rev Sangha needing my help to get 20 million out of Nigeria
Barclays telling me my identity has been compromised and i need to reconfrm password !! I have never banked with Barclays
Ebay telling me my offer is accepted I dont even use ebay have no account even ..
PayPal telling me my account needs updating I dont have Paypal account.
Nat West bank telling me to uprgrade my online banking details Again have no NatWest bank accounts ..

Do you see what i mean its all a scam .. so stay on and dont worry just delete them ,dont even read them
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I fell foul for the same of thing a few years ago

Received and email from paypal saying "click here to confirm account details or your account will be suspended" so I did then found out that someone was trying to advertise stuff and obtain money for non existent goods - anyway long and short of it was paypal got wise to it and then really suspended my account in time which was total pain for me but then my own fault for responding to fake email

paypal - ebay or whoever will always address emails to you personally - not (as in my case) Dear Paypal Customer or anything similar
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:07 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Any emails you receive that you are not expecting like the one from paypal, just ignore and delete them.
No Bank or similar company would contact you by email and ask for your account details.
If that is the first one you have had you are very lucky, just bin them, dont reply or they will know your email account is live and send you more.
I am also finding this a bit worrying,at the weekend I encountered a lot of problems with this system due to various things I rang PC world tech guys,they suggested I start from scratch,so I had to reinstall everthing.That was fine,I have bought the Norton 360 online,ever since I am recieving several e mails saying Iv won this or that,or they ask If I want to be taken off their mailing lists to reply with my email address, which I havent done,I keep deleting them.But this is a concern because it only started after I bought the 360.Most of the emails state that they are from Norton Spam Iv also had ones offering cheap insurance ect.How can I be sure that this is safe and how do you get rid of these coming in
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

I'm still here. I'm tired, I'm really unwell and im fed up (not like me at all).

I did open the email. I even clicked on their link, which took me to a bogus email to paypal. I said I dont have paypal account anymore and i think this guy is bogus and i pressed send. Then afterwards the penny dropped.

They got me when i was vulnerable.

Would anyone worry that I have clicked on their link. What is the worst that can happen then, before I close my email account please.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

You only need to be concerned if, when you clicked the link in that email that took you to a spoof site, you entered personal information that you use elsewhere than at eBay.

If the info you entered is only used at eBay (username/password) simply contact ebay security team from their web site and ask them to suspend that account.

Despite all that you don't need to worry about cancelling your user id here or on other community forums - you can change the email address associated with the user id from the "My Profile" section, and obviously the password, if you feel it would make you happier.

That said scammers are only interested in getting financial information from you, or abusing your eBay account. They're not going to be interested in forums you use.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:21 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandy44
I am also finding this a bit worrying,at the weekend I encountered a lot of problems with this system due to various things I rang PC world tech guys,they suggested I start from scratch,so I had to reinstall everthing.That was fine,I have bought the Norton 360 online,ever since I am recieving several e mails saying Iv won this or that,or they ask If I want to be taken off their mailing lists to reply with my email address, which I havent done,I keep deleting them.But this is a concern because it only started after I bought the 360.Most of the emails state that they are from Norton Spam Iv also had ones offering cheap insurance ect.How can I be sure that this is safe and how do you get rid of these coming in
You wont stop them its just something you have to live with Every day i click them and delete and still they come .. They cant harm the PC in any way as long as you NEVER open them just delete them ..

I get about 20 a day nowdays seems theres millions of them sending them , and what makes it worse is that they are getting a lot fall for it ??
Heard today on telly a Vicar got duped for £ 11,000 as a Reverand Nigerian origin guy ,said he needed money to release a million he had stuck in his fathers estate as if right Well this Vicar thought that if he helped him get the money out that the Reverand would build a home for the homeless with the money !! Yea sure he would right ..
Anyways yep he is now in debt to £ 11,000 what a suprise right !

So once again dont panic ..
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:22 pm
Banned

I'm still here. I'm tired, I'm really unwell and im fed up (not like me at all).

I did open the email. I even clicked on their link, which took me to a bogus email to paypal. I said I dont have paypal account anymore and i think this guy is bogus and i pressed send. Then afterwards the penny dropped.

They got me when i was vulnerable.

Would anyone worry that I have clicked on their link. What is the worst that can happen then, before I close my email account please.
Nothing will happen just get loads of junk emails . Like we all do
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandy44
That was fine,I have bought the Norton 360 online,ever since I am recieving several e mails saying Iv won this or that,or they ask If I want to be taken off their mailing lists to reply with my email address, which I havent done,I keep deleting them.But this is a concern because it only started after I bought the 360.Most of the emails state that they are from Norton Spam :
Norton is crap for a personal pc, may be OK for office use and networks, but slows your computer down considerably.

Strangely, when I didn't renew my Norton a month ago I got a virus alert saying my pc had been infected, which it hadn't. I have now removed Norton completely and installed AVG and the pc is noticeably faster. And AVG is free AND recommended by quite a few in the know computer people I know.

Mrs T, do not worry about the email or hacking .... I get regular messages from ebay and paypal telling me I need to give my details again .... as long as you don't give them any bank account info its fine. Just delete anything like that
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Okay, so i've changed my password on here. Guess what, I had the same password as my ebay account that i havent used for months. Hmmmmmm. interesting. Especially since I left this account open all night the other night, by accident of course.

Funny though, coz my settings are so high I dont get any spam. seriously. NOw I do though. Grrrrrr.

So I clicked opened the mail and on the link. I did not give a name, a number an email address anything. Except my email addres will have shown.

Do you think im safe to continue banking online. Specially with what im in the middle of doing at the moment (dont even want to say it outloud, but we all have it common here, wink ).

Talking about me pooping myself. Im really not well and so i can think straight.

Im so angry too. not like me at all. Grrrrrrrrr (you're all scared now).

thanks for your advice folks, all of you. Can you answer my query in this please?

Ta very much.

yours ps: ive closed my ebay account. im not interested in using it anymore anyway.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

by the way, you are all advising me not to open any. well i opened this one AND i clicked on the link. I did not give personal info. Now what might happen? Please?
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, so i've changed my password on here. Guess what, I had the same password as my ebay account that i havent used for months. Hmmmmmm. interesting. Especially since I left this account open all night the other night, by accident of course.

Funny though, coz my settings are so high I dont get any spam. seriously. NOw I do though. Grrrrrr.

So I clicked opened the mail and on the link. I did not give a name, a number an email address anything. Except my email addres will have shown.

Do you think im safe to continue banking online. Specially with what im in the middle of doing at the moment (dont even want to say it outloud, but we all have it common here, wink ).

Talking about me pooping myself. Im really not well and so i can think straight.

Im so angry too. not like me at all. Grrrrrrrrr (you're all scared now).

thanks for your advice folks, all of you. Can you answer my query in this please?

Ta very much.

yours ps: ive closed my ebay account. im not interested in using it anymore anyway.
Mrs T, you have been spammed with presumably an attempt to get your bank details. If it makes you feel any better, change all your passwords but its unlikely you will have problems other than more spam.
Its only what happens to us all many times a day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.