Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC 'Living in the sun'

BBC 'Living in the sun'

Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default BBC 'Living in the sun'

Hello!

Not sure if any of you guys get BBC1 in spain, there is an interesting program on BBC1 everyday at 11.00am called Living in the Sun about british people moving to spain and starting businesses buying property etc,
also good for people here in the UK moving there!

Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC 'Living in the sun'

Originally Posted by featherbum
Hello!

Not sure if any of you guys get BBC1 in spain, there is an interesting program on BBC1 everyday at 11.00am called Living in the Sun about british people moving to spain and starting businesses buying property etc,
also good for people here in the UK moving there!

Not having a moan at you but.......
Yeah lots of us watch it, biggest load of wotsit on the box.
Totally gives the wrong impression and has probably caused lots of heartache for a lot of expats.
Its only just lately on the news each morning they have started giving warnings of real life in Spain etc.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info will tune in.

pwwm
Old Feb 13th 2007, 11:34 am
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jdr
Not having a moan at you but.......
Totally gives the wrong impression and has probably caused lots of heartache for a lot of expats.
Its only just lately on the news each morning they have started giving warnings of real life in Spain etc.
JDR - why do you think the program is so bad and misleading - surely they are featuring real people in Spain.

Life can be really hard in Spain, I'm the first to say that (from experience) but just interested in your thoughts.

My only knowledge of the program was when my wife called me in to see 10 mins as there was a couple we knew who were being featured. They are still going and very happy with life in Spain.

Mark
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GCM
JDR - why do you think the program is so bad and misleading - surely they are featuring real people in Spain.

Life can be really hard in Spain, I'm the first to say that (from experience) but just interested in your thoughts.

My only knowledge of the program was when my wife called me in to see 10 mins as there was a couple we knew who were being featured. They are still going and very happy with life in Spain.

Mark
Maybe its just me, but I dont think programs like that cover the ground as they should do, also they are usually out of date.
They paint it a bit too rosy and I am sure people think "yeah thats easy, lets go"
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:21 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

I guess they are just doing their job - making an entertaining show.

Hopefully most people would do lots of research as well - places like this forum - but you are probably right they are just jumping on the plane as fast as they can get out of the UK.

Here's a point - if people can't make a go of it in the UK is there any reason why they are going to make a go of it in Spain?

Spain is harder in my opinion to succeed.

Mark
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by GCM
I guess they are just doing their job - making an entertaining show.

Hopefully most people would do lots of research as well - places like this forum - but you are probably right they are just jumping on the plane as fast as they can get out of the UK.

Here's a point - if people can't make a go of it in the UK is there any reason why they are going to make a go of it in Spain?

Spain is harder in my opinion to succeed.

Mark
You are probably right, it is very difficult to get started here, unless you are retired or semi.
If not, you really need to get a job with a contract, this eases the situation 75% steady income, health cover etc.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

On one of the programmes a house they showed had no deeds, and Amanda Lamb made light of this saying it was not a problem, was commonplace in Spain, and could probably easily be sorted out.

Whilst that may be true, what message does that send out to prospective buyers ..... no deeds, no problem?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Whilst that may be true, what message does that send out to prospective buyers ..... no deeds, no problem?
The same as they say getting a phone line is "no problem"

I watched a programme once and the estate agent was advising on how easy it was to knock this wall down, put in a pool here, extend the roof terrace there - no mention of architects plans or obtaining permission from the town hall
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Living in the sun!!!!!!
I'd do them under the trade descriptions act.

It's done nowt but rain here for about the last three weeks, I've forgotten what the sun looks like
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Living in the sun!!!!!!
I'd do them under the trade descriptions act.

It's done nowt but rain here for about the last three weeks, I've forgotten what the sun looks like
It´s wonderful here in Chiclana. Really warm and sunny. Kids down the road were swimming in the pool today.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
It´s wonderful here in Chiclana. Really warm and sunny. Kids down the road were swimming in the pool today.
Inland, nr Seville. I have just lit the fire.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

QUOTE]

After today's episode : what do you think the explanation is : for the BBC's current infatuation with ostentatious million-pound homes ?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if the arts and crafts girl from todays programme is still in Spain ? I always wonder after watching these move to Spain programmes what happens once the cameras stop rolling
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Ray51
QUOTE]

After today's episode : what do you think the explanation is : for the BBC's current infatuation with ostentatious million-pound homes ?
I cant comment, I didn`t watch it, I was at a carboot buying some second hand stuff. ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.