Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

Old May 21st 2014, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC IPLAYER Radio App - seems to work in Spain

Originally Posted by mfh
Actually the first time I tried downloading it t was from my PC using your link I then tried to download it just using wifi on my phone with data turned off using your link (actually I did not need to turn data off as I hardly ever use my hone for surfing) anyway IMO its something to do with Nexus as the first message I get is 'none of your devices are compatible'

I have spoofed the Google play store for some apps before but like I mentioned, I always forget and then gmail gives me grief for a while. As I said I'll try next time I'm in the UK
Shame, I like the Nexus despite its quirks. Well good luck either way.
Old May 21st 2014, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
As far as I know, you cannot access the UK Google Playstore from a Spanish IP address.

If you use a VPN it works fine.

BBC iPlayer (TV) can only be downloaded from the UK and I think the same applies to all the other UK specific apps. It's the same problem with IOS but once you have managed to set up a UK Apple ID you can access the UK Apple App store without a VPN.

Once you have managed to download the apps you do need a VPN or SmartDNS to actually use them, apart from BBC Radio iPlayer which works anywhere.

BBC iplayer radio app can be downloaded as an app without VPN as long as your address with your iTunes account is in the UK I know because I have done it. I listen to the BBC radio every day using the app without VPN. Today a friend couldn't download the app because her address with iTunes is Spanish
Old May 21st 2014, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Agnes
BBC iplayer radio app can be downloaded as an app without VPN as long as your address with your iTunes account is in the UK I know because I have done it. I listen to the BBC radio every day using the app without VPN. Today a friend couldn't download the app because her address with iTunes is Spanish
Thanks for the info Agnes. Im sure itll help those with an Iphone know if they can install or not. Its great news that it also works once installed on an Iphone too It maybe the same reasoning might apply to Google regarding the UK address. At the end of the day its a great app. And at least people know that if they do manage to install it on their mobi, itll work with no probs. Cheers

Last edited by t2uds; May 21st 2014 at 10:01 pm.
Old May 22nd 2014, 6:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Agnes
I think that is pretty much what I just posted.

If you live in Spain and want to set up a UK iTunes account, you must give an address in the UK but more importantly, you must have a credit card that is also registered to that address. That is not always possible and without a payment method that they can approve you cannot set up an account.

However, there is a way around it.

You go to the UK iTunes store and try to "buy" a free app. It will ask for your UK Apple ID (which of course you don't have) but there is an option to create a new account. This time, because you are trying to buy a free app, a new payment option appears "None". If you select this you will then create a UK account.

Of course, having no payment method precludes you from getting any "paid" apps, but this can be solved by getting someone else who has a "proper" UK account to send you a gift voucher. From then on, any payments needed will be made from your credit balance.

Note that you must use a different email address on each account.
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Sadly I dont use Itunes. As my original post was for the Android Iplayer Radio and how it works within Spain. And as theres been a bit of Itunes chat of how that works. To keep methods from getting muddled too much. Its worth recapping that the people that have downloaded/used Iplayer Radio from the link I provided (while within Spain, on a Spanish contract & not on a VPN) are on Android & not an Iphone, and did so from the Google Store using a Spanish IP Address. Simples.

So if youre on Android. Just click the link (Airplane Mode with Wifi enabled)
and see if it works for you.
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t2uds
Sadly I dont use Itunes. As my original post was for the Android Iplayer Radio and how it works within Spain. And as theres been a bit of Itunes chat of how that works. To keep methods from getting muddled too much. Its worth recapping that the people that have downloaded/used Iplayer Radio from the link I provided (while within Spain, on a Spanish contract & not on a VPN) are on Android & not an Iphone, and did so from the Google Store using a Spanish IP Address. Simples.

So if youre on Android. Just click the link (Airplane Mode with Wifi enabled)
and see if it works for you.
I had it on this morning, listening to a bit of Jezza, you broke me in less than 24 hours !
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I had it on this morning, listening to a bit of Jezza, you broke me in less than 24 hours !

Haha

Im happy it worked for you and youre enjoying Mr Vine. I snoozed off to the On Demand version of "The Unbelievable Truth" (comedy panel show) last night. Quite good!