Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BBC Iplayer etc thru Proxy Server?

BBC Iplayer etc thru Proxy Server?

Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

mrs-mop is on a distinguished road
Default BBC Iplayer etc thru Proxy Server?

Is anyone managing to do this? and if you are, how??
Thanks

Just seen an advert on here for my-private-network, anyone use them? any feedback about them?

Last edited by mrs-mop; Feb 15th 2009 at 8:13 am.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Iplayer etc thru Proxy Server?

Originally Posted by mrs-mop
Is anyone managing to do this? and if you are, how??
Thanks

Just seen an advert on here for my-private-network, anyone use them? any feedback about them?
There was a long discussion about this a few weeks ago on the forum.

It seemed that very few people managed it and it was far to technical for me

Try searching the forum
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guesswork
There was a long discussion about this a few weeks ago on the forum.

It seemed that very few people managed it and it was far to technical for me

Try searching the forum
Look on th Aussie forum under bbc's i player on in The Lab bbc iplayer
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

thanks I am just checking it out now
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:05 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

proxy servers do work - but you will end up chasing new configurations as the proxy servers can change their server settings every hour / day / week.

one of the ways is to purchase a "hide my IP" package - which hide your spansih IP internet address number from the players...
or go with a ssytem that enables you to connect to a UK server make the playters think you are connecting via a UK not spanish ISP (i think something like VPN tunnel..?)
of course i cannot say if these systems will last as the broadcasters may well start to clamp down on such services.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:50 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

scroll down this page for some information.
http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/ind...howtopic=97429
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I have never been able to get a proxy server to run with any degree of reliability and the BBC and ITV are getting more adept at blocking them.

I think a better answer is to lobby the BBC to restrict its service by the need to enter a TV licence number rather than by geographical location. There is an entry on their web site to the effect that they are developing an iPlayer for worldwide use but it has been there for some time and nothing has yet happened.

Even if and when it does the content is likely to be restricted to such an extend so as to render it pretty useless.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all, I realise these questions have all been asked numerous times before but the situation changes so quickly I thought it was worthwhile to get the latest news from people in the know. I have tried to use proxy servers in the past with no success at all. It would be nice if we could get access with the restriction of a licence number if they would allow people to buy a licence when abroad, more money for them, us being legal, everyones happy (I suppose the problem with that is the broadcasters in your present country not being happy that you aren´t using them and they will claim the sole right to broadcast a particular program in their country). I may well end up purchasing a method to use my computer but I don´t want to pay for a company that doesn´t provide the service they promise. I understand I may pay for a service that may become defunct or closed down as the BBC or whoever close their net but there is no option with that (sorry PCguy I am in a block of flats and my neighbours won´t let me put up a dish!). I have TDT and can change numerous programs to English but it´s not that I want less Spanish TV it´s just I want English TV, Corry, Strictly etc not American TV!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:56 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

you can always try the torrent / downloading method (using a torrent client like vuze or bitlord)
thebox.biz or uknova have uk programes available for download usually within about an hour or so of them being broadcast...but these sites are registration only and operate a fair play / ratio based service.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

I have tried it and succeeded however the way I did it stopped working after 2 or 3 months and I have a feeling the BBC sussed it out. The method I used made the ITV player also work.
Basically you cant just use a UK proxy, you have to do it via Firefox and download 2 firefox add ons. Greasemonkey and foxyproxy.
Greasemonkey disables the "BBC IPLAYER IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO PLAY IN THE UK" message and foxyproxy fools the player into thinking you are in the uk.
Anyway like I said this method doesn't work anymore.

There is another method that does work but its a little more tricky to set up.
This method does work but because you have to keep updating a working uk proxy then it isnt as user friendly as the first method.
You can set it up from here.
http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

active uk proxies from here.

http://www.aliveproxy.com/gb-proxy-list/

None of these methods can be used via Internet explorer so you will need to download a firefox browser.

Last edited by spainboy; Feb 15th 2009 at 11:10 am.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spainboy
I have tried it and succeeded however the way I did it stopped working after 2 or 3 months and I have a feeling the BBC sussed it out. The method I used made the ITV player also work.
Basically you cant just use a UK proxy, you have to do it via Firefox and download 2 firefox add ons. Greasemonkey and foxyproxy.
Greasemonkey disables the "BBC IPLAYER IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO PLAY IN THE UK" message and foxyproxy fools the player into thinking you are in the uk.
Anyway like I said this method doesn't work anymore.

There is another method that does work but its a little more tricky to set up.
This method does work but because you have to keep updating a working uk proxy then it isnt as user friendly as the first method.
You can set it up from here.
http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

active uk proxies from here.

http://www.aliveproxy.com/gb-proxy-list/

None of these methods can be used via Internet explorer so you will need to download a firefox browser.
I have been using successfully for two months VPNUK, it cost £8 Per month and you can share with up to another 6 people, so cost is about a £1 per month, works on BBC/ITV/ CH4 and Ch5 on demand,
the quality is good and no buffering delays etc, infact as good as if in the UK,
the payment is monthly so no contracts to worry about and you can stop it at anytime. recommend you pay by PAYPAL and not a Credit Card as they can be difficult to stop regular payements from !!!,
Some content cannot be shown over the internet due to contractual reasons, IE premiership football, but apart from that very good service with live support online!! It easy to set up , just download a small program, add passwords etc and off you go, they even offer a free set up service for you,
www.vpnuk.info

Just for info, BBC channels are currently off the air, but ITV (Currently showing Corrie, and Ant & Dec on ITV2) the others are working ok

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Feb 15th 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
I have been using successfully for two months VPNUK, it cost £8 Per month and you can share with up to another 6 people, so cost is about a £1 per month, works on BBC/ITV/ CH4 and Ch5 on demand,
the quality is good and no buffering delays etc, infact as good as if in the UK,
the payment is monthly so no contracts to worry about and you can stop it at anytime. recommend you pay by PAYPAL and not a Credit Card as they can be difficult to stop regular payements from !!!,
Some content cannot be shown over the internet due to contractual reasons, IE premiership football, but apart from that very good service with live support online!! It easy to set up , just download a small program, add passwords etc and off you go, they even offer a free set up service for you,
www.vpnuk.info

Just for info, BBC channels are currently off the air, but ITV (Currently showing Corrie, and Ant & Dec on ITV2) the others are working ok
Ah the beeb is backup showing Allo Allo!!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Are you talking about something different? Is the TV iPlayer not the same as radio which is available outside of the UK and where any programme can be accessed at any time? It sounds as though you are talking about current output being streamed on the internet in real time rather than video on demand. Could you clarify please.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Are you talking about something different? Is the TV iPlayer not the same as radio which is available outside of the UK and where any programme can be accessed at any time? It sounds as though you are talking about current output being streamed on the internet in real time rather than video on demand. Could you clarify please.
Yep, Watchingthe Ireland game(9-24) at this very moment, normally without VPN or Proxy, the cast would be be barred, but as you are on a VPN, there is no way for the originating site to Identify where I am or who I am.
read the info on the webpage given, what it says is what it is!!!
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

My method is guaranteed to make BBC iplayer work outside the UK of course if you set it up correctly.
In fact im watching a programme on it right now.!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.