Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Barbecue chimney spark guard?

Barbecue chimney spark guard?

Old May 22nd 2010, 8:03 pm
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
fionamw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: near Colmenar, Prov de Malaga
Posts: 5,174
fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Barbecue chimney spark guard?

Finally have a massive hood (metal) made for our bbq; however the chap making it almost laughed when I asked would it have a spark guard on top of or in the chimney..... since the purpose of it is to ensure we don't set the campo ablaze every weekend, I'd have thought such a guard was quite important. Hey ho. Anyway, does anyone have any idea if such a thing exists in Spain, or have one & can point me at where to get it, or a cheaper bodgit version? To stop or minimise the sparks coming out of the top of the chimney.... metal mesh? Something like that? All suggestions (except don't have barbecues) gratefully received.
fionamw is offline  
Old May 22nd 2010, 9:00 pm
  #2  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbecue chimney spark guard?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Finally have a massive hood (metal) made for our bbq; however the chap making it almost laughed when I asked would it have a spark guard on top of or in the chimney..... since the purpose of it is to ensure we don't set the campo ablaze every weekend, I'd have thought such a guard was quite important. Hey ho. Anyway, does anyone have any idea if such a thing exists in Spain, or have one & can point me at where to get it, or a cheaper bodgit version? To stop or minimise the sparks coming out of the top of the chimney.... metal mesh? Something like that? All suggestions (except don't have barbecues) gratefully received.
Well, technically speaking there are a number of problems with spark guards. They can tar and soot up which blocks the flue, and should they then catch on fire, they can spread sparks far and wide.

I don't know how much of a risk barbecues are. After all, if a small bonfire is a risk, then why aren't barbecues as bad?

If you want to make one, use two layers of fine mesh spaced two inches apart and make them easily dissembled to clean.
bil is offline  
Old May 22nd 2010, 10:11 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
fionamw's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: near Colmenar, Prov de Malaga
Posts: 5,174
fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbecue chimney spark guard?

Originally Posted by bil
Well, technically speaking there are a number of problems with spark guards. They can tar and soot up which blocks the flue, and should they then catch on fire, they can spread sparks far and wide.

I don't know how much of a risk barbecues are. After all, if a small bonfire is a risk, then why aren't barbecues as bad?

If you want to make one, use two layers of fine mesh spaced two inches apart and make them easily dissembled to clean.
Ref paras 1/2... yip small (& bigger) bonfires are a risk, but they're banned around here after April 30 so bbqs are - or should be - the only possible risk apart from glass in the verge, etc. I don't know the stats but I know how dry the campo gets and how frightening it was to see the hill ablaze last year, so I don't want to be the one culpable.
So... what's fine mesh? Is two 'layers' enough? How frequently to clean if bbqs generally weekly/fortnightly?
fionamw is offline  
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:18 am
  #4  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barbecue chimney spark guard?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Ref paras 1/2... yip small (& bigger) bonfires are a risk, but they're banned around here after April 30 so bbqs are - or should be - the only possible risk apart from glass in the verge, etc. I don't know the stats but I know how dry the campo gets and how frightening it was to see the hill ablaze last year, so I don't want to be the one culpable.
So... what's fine mesh? Is two 'layers' enough? How frequently to clean if bbqs generally weekly/fortnightly?
The spark guards I have seen on the chimneys of thatched cottages are very fine indeed. Try googling.

I found this ' Spark arrestors on the flues should be treated with caution because they can clog and restrict the flow of flue gases. A stainless steel welders spark guard mesh made in two sections is my personal recommendation, the inner tube being fixed so that the flue brush enters it, an air gap to trap debris and allow cooling and the outer tube removable to allow for manual cleaning. '

Here's a pic. http://www.fluesystems.com/cowls/inf...k_arrester.htm

best to google spark arrestors, as spark guards refer to the prevention of sparks from open fires. I'm guilty of sloppy terminology I'm afraid.
bil is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.