Banning

Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banning

I'd like to know what the process is and what recourse do people have when they are banned. It just seems that any thread to discuss these matters is just closed down.
People, for instance, often say things in private mails which they believe to be just that...Private. There are some really selfish, unpleasant views aired publicly here but someone says something out of turn privately and is banned (Without warning?). There may, of course have been some justification for the actions. On the other hand it may just be a form of forum Tourettes;-). This thread will probably be banned or instantly closed. There seems to be a kangaroo court system in place which is not appealing! I'm staying off posting on British Expats (If I'm not banned now;-)) for a month as a silent protest.
I will read any posts public or private to explain this move against one of our most interesting members.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:08 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banning

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I'd like to know what the process is and what recourse do people have when they are banned. It just seems that any thread to discuss these matters is just closed down.
People, for instance, often say things in private mails which they believe to be just that...Private. There are some really selfish, unpleasant views aired publicly here but someone says something out of turn privately and is banned (Without warning?). There may, of course have been some justification for the actions. On the other hand it may just be a form of forum Tourettes;-). This thread will probably be banned or instantly closed. There seems to be a kangaroo court system in place which is not appealing! I'm staying off posting on British Expats (If I'm not banned now;-)) for a month as a silent protest.
I will read any posts public or private to explain this move against one of our most interesting members.
I'm not quite sure what you mean
We dont close down threads that dont break the rules. We dont permanently ban people without warning, and in fact as I said personally I have only used this in extreme circumstances twice in 6 years! It's not a question of saying something "out of turn" at all. There is no Kangaroo court. Can you imagine what the forum would be like without any moderation at all?

Its not fair to discuss the individual case you refer to in public or private. That ban came from the highest level, and I can assure you that Sue does not do things like that lightly. It was also at the end of a number of constant reported posts and complaints over a period of time. So in effect we were reacting to the members complaints as well.

As usual in moderation you are damned if you do and damned if you dont. For instance this thread is against the forum rules. I've left it, but I know full well that it may well turn unpleasant. I hope not.

I'm not quite sure why you are leaving the forum in protest, as you mention there may well have been justification. I'm sorry you choose to do so, but I can assure you that the picture you paint is not the reality, because we very rarely ban people unless forced to do so. We try to moderate fairly, but we are human beings and cant be perfect all the time!

I have to add that although I had no choice but to concur with the ban, I have spoken to bil offline a number of occasions and got on well with him.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 24th 2011 at 10:22 am. Reason: Added a bit :-)
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:34 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

They hardly ban people on a whim do they? I mean I've been here since 06 and I'm still here!
Attached Thumbnails Banning-banningpolice.jpg  
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:35 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that the decision will not have been taken lightly. It must be a thankless task being a moderator. Someone will always disagree with yiur actions, or inactions.

I think people are just a little disappointed that an interesting member will be posting here no more. But I'm sure the reasons for his ban are valid.

(To Rugbymatt: I've been here since 2006 too!).
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:39 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I have much sympathy for the moderators although I am also sorry about the case in question. The mods have to do what they think is right and are not really at liberty to discuss why - as Mitzy says damned if they do - damned if they don't.

A question which can be ignored if you like - is this ban permanent or temporary?
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:40 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
They hardly ban people on a whim do they? I mean I've been here since 06 and I'm still here!
But you've been banned temporarily haven't you? Perhaps bil will be back sometime.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah ... how has that happened

Originally Posted by jimenato
I have much sympathy for the moderators although I am also sorry about the case in question.

A question which can be ignored if you like - is this ban permanent or temporary?
Actually, I'm sorry too and I know that Sue was upset also
Well, the ban afaik is permanent
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:27 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic, but for once you may appreciate it Mitzy

I was wondering if you took this place in with your camera when you were up near Teruel ?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=alb...w=1093&bih=443

I watched a Spanish TV Doc. on it last night, seems to be a fascinating place, though possibly getting a tad touristy now.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

I was wondering if you took this place in with your camera when you were up near Teruel ?

I watched a Spanish TV Doc. on it last night, seems to be a fascinating place, though possibly getting a tad touristy now.
Pity we missed that programme bet it was excellent. The photo´s are great. Thanks.

Rosemary
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:43 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Ive been to Albaraccin twice now, for as you know I love the area up there. I have a lot of pics of it, but I'd better not put them on this thread
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I have much sympathy for the moderators although I am also sorry about the case in question. The mods have to do what they think is right and are not really at liberty to discuss why - as Mitzy says damned if they do - damned if they don't.
Agree, given that we don't know exactly what happened, we're hardly in a position to pass comment, one way or another. No way would I ever want to be a mod, it's a thankless task, so I'm happy to go with whatever they decide, it won't have been easy.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:22 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree, given that we don't know exactly what happened, we're hardly in a position to pass comment, one way or another. No way would I ever want to be a mod, it's a thankless task, so I'm happy to go with whatever they decide, it won't have been easy.

I agree.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:40 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
The person concerned has had plenty of warnings, and the private conversation that took place between us, was just that private. Therefore I am not going into details, but needless to say the banning was warranted and that is all I am going to comment on the matter. You are quite entitled to ask questions, in private, but even then I will not divulge a conversation I had personally with another member. All I ask is that you remember I did not make the decision lightly, and there are two sides to a story.

Thanks
Old Nov 24th 2011, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the need for moderation but I am against permanent banning.

Some sort of warning showing against the members name when they post, possibly with a rising scale, then a short ban and only if that does not work a full ban.
That would give other members a chance to understand what is happening and possibly give them a chance to offer advice to the poster or maybe even back off a little and stop provocation.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 2:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
The person concerned has had plenty of warnings, and the private conversation that took place between us, was just that private. Therefore I am not going into details, but needless to say the banning was warranted and that is all I am going to comment on the matter. You are quite entitled to ask questions, in private, but even then I will not divulge a conversation I had personally with another member. All I ask is that you remember I did not make the decision lightly, and there are two sides to a story.

Thanks
You are always completely fair to all of the members of BE and you would never do anything that would bring the forum into disrepute. More importantly you make contact with people and listen to what they are saying, mediate and try to find helpful sollutions. If none of this is effective and a person is not taking the rules into consideration, is disrespectful of others or refuses to see the difficulties they are causing you have no alternative but to evaluate the situation once again and accept that you have been forced to be more heavy handed than you like to be. You and the moderators do an excellent job and I for one want to thank you for all of your hard work.

Thanks.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.