Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

bank account in spain

bank account in spain

Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

dougyzf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bank account in spain

Im going to be setting up a bank account shortly what banks are best to use? and the easiest to set up? im moving to the Malaga area.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:54 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bank account in spain

Originally Posted by dougyzf
Im going to be setting up a bank account shortly what banks are best to use? and the easiest to set up? im moving to the Malaga area.
SOL Bank
Prestige account has a number of additional services available such as translation, getting leccy connected, medical helplines, locksmiths ... and the staff all speak English.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: bank account in spain

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
SOL Bank
Prestige account has a number of additional services available such as translation, getting leccy connected, medical helplines, locksmiths ... and the staff all speak English.
We are with Banco Andalucia (Grupo Banco Popular) at the moment and they have a great account for anyone paying in a pension direct. No charges and lots of other goodies as well.

We are changing our main account to Solbank Prestige but will keep the Banco Andalucia account for Kath, see other threads for the discussion on separate bank accounts at death!

I reckon these are the best two at the moment.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougyzf
whatever bank you choose check out their charges

Im with Barclays and they charge me annualy, quarterly and then monthly !!! and after some recent "discussion" they have refund most of the charges back to me. They also charged me for paying in and drawing out (at the same time) cash from proceeds of house sale - again this was negotiated and reduced from a 1000€ to 200€ charge

had the same the Banesto a few years back

so shop around
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
They also charged me for paying in and drawing out (at the same time) cash from proceeds of house sale - again this was negotiated and reduced from a 1000€ to 200€ charge

had the same the Banesto a few years back

so shop around
Yep, it took me three banks before I finally got one that didn't charge for payments and receipts.
You do get charges from SOL, but overall I think its worth it.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it took me three banks before I finally got one that didn't charge for payments and receipts.
think I will be changing to Bank Caixa soon, hubby has an account with them and doesnt get charged for anything
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Solbank Prestige is €21 a qtr and thats it but from what I read you must have a balance of €150 in your account. Banco Andalucia is free if you pay your pension in direct.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:26 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Solbank Prestige is €21 a qtr and thats it but from what I read you must have a balance of €150 in your account. Banco Andalucia is free if you pay your pension in direct.
Well ..... I used to pay £12 a month with RBS in the UK for the same kind of account
Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

We spent time in Spain 2004-2005 and were with Sol Bank. They were very good at our local branch. A few hiccups but generally they were good. That was until we were pulling out of Spain and moving back to the UK. Their attitudes changed, the charges got piled on and they were no longer as friendly. I remember us leaving the bank with not so nice memories. They were very money grabbing and time over we would go elsewhere.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:47 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
We spent time in Spain 2004-2005 and were with Sol Bank. They were very good at our local branch. A few hiccups but generally they were good. That was until we were pulling out of Spain and moving back to the UK. Their attitudes changed, the charges got piled on and they were no longer as friendly. I remember us leaving the bank with not so nice memories. They were very money grabbing and time over we would go elsewhere.

I don't think they can "pile charges on", as all the charges you pay are contracted in your bank account agreement, and they have to notify you of any changes to them. What charges did they make to you?
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well ..... I used to pay £12 a month with RBS in the UK for the same kind of account
I think that compared to most UK banks premium account charges the Solbank €84/£66 pa is a bargin and I for one am more likley to use the add ons which I don't with my UK premier account
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

If you have a UK Halifax Acct the go Banco Halifax, efficient and hardly any charges inclusive of foreign transfer.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:40 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spain
think I will be changing to Bank Caixa soon, hubby has an account with them and doesnt get charged for anything
I have an account with La Caixa and this month(for the first time) i went 20 euros overdrawn I went to the bank and they said "don`t worry, when your salay comes in at the end of the month you will be in the black again". NO CHARGE Can`t say any better than that.