Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bank account opening? advice required if poss

Bank account opening? advice required if poss

Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future
Default Bank account opening? advice required if poss

I opened a CAM bank account in 2004 but removed all but a few euros from it in 2005 as we were back in the UK. I informed them of each move we made (twice) via email which they acknowledged.

I informed them recently that we were coming back to live in Spain and to confirm that we could attend for new cards etc. At this point they said they could not reply to us without a letter from our UK bank and faxed from the bank (very difficult when it is internet only)

Anyway finally got them to tell me that the account had been closed anyway and I would need to open another one.
I asked if I could open this from the UK and they said it could be done. So I requested one via email but got no response so wrote to them. Again no response. Phoned them Today but they no say I must apply at the branch in person.

Is this correct?
Are there any banks operating in the Alicante region who accept applications via the internet or at least allow applications from the UK
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account opening? advice required if poss

Originally Posted by campolife
I opened a CAM bank account in 2004 but removed all but a few euros from it in 2005 as we were back in the UK. I informed them of each move we made (twice) via email which they acknowledged.

I informed them recently that we were coming back to live in Spain and to confirm that we could attend for new cards etc. At this point they said they could not reply to us without a letter from our UK bank and faxed from the bank (very difficult when it is internet only)

Anyway finally got them to tell me that the account had been closed anyway and I would need to open another one.
I asked if I could open this from the UK and they said it could be done. So I requested one via email but got no response so wrote to them. Again no response. Phoned them Today but they no say I must apply at the branch in person.

Is this correct?
Are there any banks operating in the Alicante region who accept applications via the internet or at least allow applications from the UK
This has been the subject of previous thread(s). Some good suggestions were made to this very question last time.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:59 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you just go and open a.n.other account when you get to spain? Open a Nationwide flex account to give you access to cash via any cash machine.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:26 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Why don't you just go and open a.n.other account when you get to spain? Open a Nationwide flex account to give you access to cash via any cash machine.
I dont think they will they be able to arrange direct debits for bills with a foreign bank account. Nationwide is good for travelling, but wont necessarily give you all you need if you are living here
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Do internet banks allow you to open accounts online?

Ing direct are always advertising their "cuenta naranja". I don't know if banking rules would allow you to open in from another country, but someone else might know.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

We opened an account with Banco Popular via a London agent before coming to Spain. Google and it will be there somewhere.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Thanks for the replies.

I already have a Nationwide flex account so am covered in that respect.

I wanted to be able to give utility providers and insurance companies, SUMA etc my account details as some of them will want payments before we get to Spain (cannot get over in the mean time).

I notice Bankinter offers a facility to apply online then send relevant docs to them but they don't have a branch where I will be so would struggle to get to them for the cards etc later on.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You can bank with SOL Bank online, and the system is brilliant. You could have a look on the site to see if you can apply on line
They dont charge for transferring funds into your account from the UK
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont think they will they be able to arrange direct debits for bills with a foreign bank account. Nationwide is good for travelling, but wont necessarily give you all you need if you are living here
I did not explain that very well. I meant use the Nationwide for access to cash until he has set up his account in spain