Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BANCO SABADELL NIGHTMARE

BANCO SABADELL NIGHTMARE

Old Feb 2nd 2020, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

RobertMelting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BANCO SABADELL NIGHTMARE

Hello, I was working in Spain for a few months last year and left suddenly without closing my account.

I emailed twice asking my branch contact to close it but it turns out she didn't. I have since received emails telling me I owe Sabadell almost 300 euros in debt.

I paid that today but still can't close my account as I no access to my old phone number that is connected to my account.

They say they can't do anything nor stop my empty dormant account being charged and accuring debt.

Any suggestions what I should try?

I'm thinking of putting all my documents in a brown envelope and sending to head office asking they close account. I did this when I lived in France and it worked.

It's causing me lots of stress as you can imagine. I have very little money and these charges are pushing me to the brink.
​​​​​

​​​​
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BANCO SABADELL NIGHTMARE

The account can only be closed in person I am afraid. This happened with my 80 year old mum. She had an account but we could not get at the money or close it without going to spain. Then they insisted on actually doing it in the branch it was opened which was another part of spain. Eventually I managed to close it but only because I could speak Spanish with the head of the branch but it was a complete pain. However, to be honest, one of the upshot of Brexit is that there is nothing they can really do to you if you have no money of assets in spain!
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

They're actual *******

I wish I'd never even paid what I owed them.

Guess I'm just going to have to get into hundreds if not thousands of debt.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Well you should only be being charged monthly for having an account which shouldnt amount to a huge amount a year. You could just pay it then go over and close the account etc. If you borrowed or have direct debits then that really is something you need to address immediately. If you just want to it go away then I would bite the bullet and just close it in person or else you will just worry for years
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly try to get the account changed to an account that has the new government maximum allowed charge of €3 a month, that will limit your exposure until you can close it, as to weather leavening the EU will stop institutions chasing you for money no one knows yet, I personally would doubt it, good luck, hope you get it sorted
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 6:48 am
Just Joined

i just don't have the money for any of this unfortunately.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobertMelting
i just don't have the money for any of this unfortunately.
It should only be a phone call to your branch or an email asking for the account to be changed to the minimum fee account, at least it limits your expenses until you can sort something out
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 1:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It might be an option to switch to a bank which would allow you to close on line? I don't know which banks would but hopefully someone else will?

It is not just some Spanish banks who can be jobs worth, with painful T&Cs. I had a similar issue in reverse. When in Spain, I wanted to close old UK Nationwide savings accounts. They insisted that I must visit the branch to close the accounts in person.

Last edited by missile; Feb 3rd 2020 at 1:24 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 8:46 am
Just Joined

lukehousehunting is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobertMelting
Hello, I was working in Spain for a few months last year and left suddenly without closing my account.

I emailed twice asking my branch contact to close it but it turns out she didn't. I have since received emails telling me I owe Sabadell almost 300 euros in debt.

I paid that today but still can't close my account as I no access to my old phone number that is connected to my account.

They say they can't do anything nor stop my empty dormant account being charged and accuring debt.

Any suggestions what I should try?

I'm thinking of putting all my documents in a brown envelope and sending to head office asking they close account. I did this when I lived in France and it worked.

It's causing me lots of stress as you can imagine. I have very little money and these charges are pushing me to the brink.
​​​​​

​​​​
First I would escalate this in the bank and ask to speak with the manager of the branch. You should be able to send a certified letter with a copy of your identifcation that you opened the account with and any other proof of ID that they ask for. If it is still not possible to close by phone or mail, maybe you can try giving a Power of Attorney to someone who you know that lives near the branch and they can close it on your behalf?
Old Feb 4th 2020, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

@ lukehousehunting
I think you missed the bit where he said
"I have very little money and these charges are pushing me to the brink"
Old Feb 5th 2020, 6:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

……….. , maybe you can try giving a Power of Attorney to someone who you know that lives near the branch ……..
I believe you have to be in Spain to do that
Old Feb 5th 2020, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I believe you have to be in Spain to do that
Plus it costs money in notary fees which the OP may not have.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

We have not really had any problems with Sabadell we tried to shut down an BBVA account once in person ,but they would not except any ID other than passport in person we had every other ID on us but no passport that was 6 months ago.I fill any banking problem like the above or any other usually has to be carried out in person with passport to save many visits and stress