Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ball Park Figure

Ball Park Figure

Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

earlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant futureearlyoap has a brilliant future
Default Ball Park Figure

Me again
Yes I know we said we would rent first and we will. But on the buying front. We have been reading the forum and on the buying front.
If we seen something for sale say 100k for the sake of the argument.
I know its hard but with negotiations and all fees what would you guess would be the final cost for us.
Second question as a cash buyer how long would the hole process take from viewing to getting keys
Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ball Park Figure

Originally Posted by earlyoap
Me again
Yes I know we said we would rent first and we will. But on the buying front. We have been reading the forum and on the buying front.
I know its hard but with negotiations and all fees what would you guess would be the final cost for us.
Second question as a cash buyer how long would the hole process take from viewing to getting keys
Allow around 13% for fees etc. When we purchased it took 4-5 weeks from having our offer accepted.

Buying and selling costs are expensive so you need to be as sure as you can be that you have bought the right price for you.
You should look ahead and ask yourselves whether the property will suit you as you get older. eg proximity of shops, transport, walkability and the like.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Me again
It depends where you are buying and who you are buying from. In Alicante province the sales tax is 10% of the purchase price and you can add between 3% & 5% for legal fees, NIEs, bank charges, survey etc. It's a bit cheaper if your purchasing fully legal property on an urbanisation as opposed to a country property on rustic land.

If you are buying from a Brit you can usually negotiate a lower price, depending on circumstances. The Spanish are less likely to give a discount. We've noticed that the prices are starting to creep up, along with the number of sales, in our area. Having said that, I would rent first to confirm that the area you are looking at is right for you. It would cost an extra 20% to buy & sell if you get it wrong.

Good luck
Old Nov 11th 2017, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Me again
At that price level think an extra 15K in expenses.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

You could also argue that if a place is on sale for €100k, it would be likely that you could buy it for 10% less - the same as the cost of legals and taxes. As a general rule, try thinking that the price you see in the agent's ad ought to be the price you end up paying all in.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
You could also argue that if a place is on sale for €100k, it would be likely that you could buy it for 10% less - the same as the cost of legals and taxes. As a general rule, try thinking that the price you see in the agent's ad ought to be the price you end up paying all in.
True. I suppose the simple and safe rule is to add 15% to whatever you finally purchase it for? Please also do not forget that some property purchases later generate a 'bump' from the Taxman if HE doesn't think you paid enough, having regard to the cadastral calculation they use. That's why the old 'black money' under declaring trick means the purchaser is only then fooling themselves short term!
I think 15% on top of your purchase price will do it.