Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is it a bad time to make the move

Is it a bad time to make the move

Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a bad time to make the move

Morning all. I have seen on the news (as has everyone) that Spain is in economic crisis. My partner and i had planned to move out to Estepona with our daughter. However the economy has made us wary. The plan was we would rent out our property here and rent over there. My husband reckons we wont find work out in Gibraltar (where we want to work) unless we are based over there but i am dubious of going out without a job to go to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a bad time to make the move

Come over for a holiday and see / test the situation first hand
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liznat1811
Morning all. I have seen on the news (as has everyone) that Spain is in economic crisis. My partner and i had planned to move out to Estepona with our daughter. However the economy has made us wary. The plan was we would rent out our property here and rent over there. My husband reckons we wont find work out in Gibraltar (where we want to work) unless we are based over there but i am dubious of going out without a job to go to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
Gibraltar isnt Spain and as far as I know the job situation there has nothing to do with Spain either

The better news is that things have gotten a lot cheaper in that part of Spain over the last few years, especially rents which are at almost half the price of a few years ago
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

We did this last September and aside from daughter being accident prone and ending up in Gib A&E we all loved it. Infact since then my daugther has asked when we can go back but we cant really make a decision based on a 3 yrs olds wishes.
I am looking at flights to come over in a couple of weeks and hoping to stay with our friend.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Come over for a holiday and see / test the situation first hand
Good advice.
If you can get work, whether in Gib or even in Spain, it must be one of the best times to make the move - rents are supposed to be very good value at the moment. Plus the buyers have the upper hand in the market, but as many advise here, best to rent and get the lay of the land first.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricketman
Gibraltar isnt Spain and as far as I know the job situation there has nothing to do with Spain either

The better news is that things have gotten a lot cheaper in that part of Spain over the last few years, especially rents which are at almost half the price of a few years ago
We were looking at Gib for work due to the fact its not spanish. We have looked at rents over in Estepona and would easily cover rent, utilities and food with the rent we get from our place here. I guess i am just one of those stupid people who always worries about what other people think etc
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point

If you need to work, then getting work might be a problem. There is really no point at all moving out with no job to go to. In any case, I might be wrong, but new rules mean that if you don't have an income of some description, you would struggle to legally become resident and get all the paperwork you need to become resident. But there are people with much more knowledge than me on this.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Good advice.
If you can get work, whether in Gib or even in Spain, it must be one of the best times to make the move - rents are supposed to be very good value at the moment. Plus the buyers have the upper hand in the market, but as many advise here, best to rent and get the lay of the land first.
I am DEF renting - too much of a chicken to buy out there. My husband if he had his way would fly out tomorrow with us in tow and not look back lol
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

cricketman would you like to rephrase your post
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

cricketman would you like to rephrase your post
"In that part of Spain"... I was referring to Estepona, not Gibraltar!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I am DEF renting - too much of a chicken to buy out there. My husband if he had his way would fly out tomorrow with us in tow and not look back lol
Also remember that you would have to have healthcare sorted out as well, if the work was in Gib, then you wouldn't qualify for Spanish healthcare and would have to make arrangements for private cover. Living in Spain you would be taxed in Spain on all your worldwide earnings, including UK rent. With the faact that the worldwide ecconomy is struggling, then I would suspect that Gib is in the same situation, if Germany can announce they are having problems, then anywhere will have them.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Liznat1811 when looking at accommodation you also need to factor in other costs / problems.
Gibraltar is in general more expensive and the housing less attractive, but you will save a fortune on traveling expenses.
Schooling for your daughter?
Traveling time leaves less family time.
Language is much easier.

etc. etc.

Just read mikelincs post so tax and healthcare easier in Gib if resident there.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Feb 19th 2013 at 9:56 am. Reason: added after mikelincs
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Also remember that you would have to have healthcare sorted out as well, if the work was in Gib, then you wouldn't qualify for Spanish healthcare and would have to make arrangements for private cover. Living in Spain you would be taxed in Spain on all your worldwide earnings, including UK rent. With the faact that the worldwide ecconomy is struggling, then I would suspect that Gib is in the same situation, if Germany can announce they are having problems, then anywhere will have them.
This is all very true. When i have spoken to my friend she made it sound soo easy!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 when looking at accommodation you also need to factor in other costs / problems.
Gibraltar is in general more expensive and the housing less attractive, but you will save a fortune on traveling expenses.
Schooling for your daughter?
Traveling time leaves less family time.
Language is much easier.

etc. etc.
This is true also! We did contemplate Gib to live as well but both said we couldnt actually live in Gibraltar.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is true also! We did contemplate Gib to live as well but both said we couldnt actually live in Gibraltar.
A lot of people live in Gib Monday to Friday and leave for their freetime

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.