Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Backpaying SS to get cover

Backpaying SS to get cover

Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backpaying SS to get cover

Originally Posted by cricketman
That's not true, you and others posting are confused
Yes Spanish get cover regardless,

No forigners dont get guaranteed cover,

Its that simple.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Jobseekers lasts forever in the UK, it doesnt in Spain, or France or Italy and other countries, should Spain adopt the UK system then?

Right now the Uk is trying to cut this, because it is unsustainable.

But you are advocating that Spain, Italy and the res of the EU are out of step, surely it is the uk that is out of step with the rest of the EU in matters of benefits and such.

So which country is more right in its adminsitation of such matters?
Im against giving cash allowances to lay a bouts but do think they should get essential medicare if they are EU citizens .
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor

No forigners dont get guaranteed cover,

Its that simple.
No Spanish people dont get cover regardless, they have the same cover as all other Europeans in Spain.

You are wrong. I could explain it for you again if you like (I have done this before).

1. Children and adults until they get a job will be covered as a dependent on their parents social security
2. When the adult gets their first job they will be covered by their own/company social security payments
3. If they become unemployed, they will get x months of free cover. This will then run out
4. If the cover runs out then the adult has a choise whether to pay social security out of their savings, pay for private cover or declare that they are "sin recursos" so will need free cover provided by the state
5. If someone chooses to retire early in Spain (either Spanish or British/European) they will need to fund their own medical cover up until they draw their state pension.

That's it. Simple!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:23 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Im against giving cash allowances to lay a bouts but do think they should get essential medicare if they are EU citizens .
I do too, but I am just trying to point out that it is the UK that is different, and Spain is more in line with EU policies as regards freebies.

That is on of the aspects that has to be weighed up when moving to Spain, the weather may be better but there is a downside too, and that is one of them, where the new country does not give the same amount of social car as the home country.

I have always said that there is a lot more advantage for other nationalities moving to Spain, because they usually have no social care at all in the homeland.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:27 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
No Spanish people dont get cover regardless, they have the same cover as all other Europeans in Spain.

You are wrong. I could explain it for you again if you like (I have done this before).

1. Children and adults until they get a job will be covered as a dependent on their parents social security
2. When the adult gets their first job they will be covered by their own/company social security payments
3. If they become unemployed, they will get x months of free cover. This will then run out
4. If the cover runs out then the adult has a choise whether to pay social security out of their savings, pay for private cover or declare that they are "sin recursos" so will need free cover provided by the state
5. If someone chooses to retire early in Spain (either Spanish or British/European) they will need to fund their own medical cover up until they draw their state pension.

That's it. Simple!
That is the way it is....

There are lots of sad stories behind those facts and figures, and each one is tragic, but it is not so simple for the Spanish either, as Cman says.

But it is in no way a Spanish v incomers thing, as some posters seem to be implying, how can it be when there are so many natives in the same boat as the incomers?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I am not so sure that they do.

I have a Spanish friend who has been autonomo for a long time and because of the recession had to do a baja as couldnt afford the monthly contribution.

His SIPS card was stopped after 3 months and couldnt get free healthcare.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=whitelinen;9241926]I am not so sure that they do.

I have a Spanish friend who has been autonomo for a long time and because of the recession had to do a baja as couldnt afford the monthly contribution.

His%

Last edited by Rotor; Mar 15th 2011 at 8:21 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I do too, but I am just trying to point out that it is the UK that is different, and Spain is more in line with EU policies as regards freebies.

That is on of the aspects that has to be weighed up when moving to Spain, the weather may be better but there is a downside too, and that is one of them, where the new country does not give the same amount of social car as the home country.
I quite agree with this statement, it's up to each individual to research the implications of such a move!

It also goes without saying that if an individual has not paid into the system they should not expect to take from it.
If the state of play doesn't suit then there is always the option of returning to the UK.....where incidentally medical cover for someone returning is not automatically available.

It always amazes me that Brits complain bitterly about immigrants to their country receiving benefits and health care they haven't paid into the system for, then in the next breath think they should be entitled to do exactly that in a country of their choice.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by megmet
I quite agree with this statement, it's up to each individual to research the implications of such a move!

It also goes without saying that if an individual has not paid into the system they should not expect to take from it.
If the state of play doesn't suit then there is always the option of returning to the UK.....where incidentally medical cover for someone returning is not automatically available.

It always amazes me that Brits complain bitterly about immigrants to their country receiving benefits and health care they haven't paid into the system for, then in the next breath think they should be entitled to do exactly that in a country of their choice.
It is difficult to accept that all health care in -Spain is not free, not after living in the UK.
Waiting untill pension age has its advantages, ie the free health care a prescriptions.

At the time of deciding on the move to spain, a young healthy couple would not always think of the problems that could arise if they had health issues, because it is an alien concept that thy cnnot just present themselbes at the doctor and be treated, moreso if they are on the padron and all.

If money is tight, dont think of the internet price, sort the important things out first and if there are any problems or pre existing conditions that may not be covered, then maybe the move should be delayed until the health care issue is solved.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by megmet

I wonder how many expats are aware that the Social Security system does not make any financial contribution whatsoever to the funding of the health services in Spain. The subscriptions paid into the SS are used to pay out the state pensions (and unemployment. maternity benefit etc). Health care, for more than last decade, has been funded solely by general taxation which, of course, everyone pays in one form or another. So if everyone now contributes to the system why should a small number (about 200,000) continue to excluded from health care ? Incidentally, it is a situation every major Spanish politically party agrees should be changed.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
I wonder how many expats are aware that the Social Security system does not make any financial contribution whatsoever to the funding of the health services in Spain. The subscriptions paid into the SS are used to pay out the state pensions (and unemployment. maternity benefit etc). Health care, for more than last decade, has been funded solely by general taxation which, of course, everyone pays in one form or another. So if everyone now contributes to the system why should a small number (about 200,000) continue to excluded from health care ? Incidentally, it is a situation every major Spanish politically party agrees should be changed.
Probably for the same kind of reasons that even though myself and my husband have paid... and are still paying tax in the UK, we are not entitled to any benefits at all from the UK.
That also includes health care, other than emergency treatment on the European Health Card.

It's not what people expect after a lifetime of paying taxes, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles!

As for everyone paying here via general taxation......if that were only the case we would all be better off.
Much of this country is run on black money, and from what I've seen a large part of the expat community take full advantage of that, to the detriment of those who don't!