Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Avoid the British when on holiday

Avoid the British when on holiday

Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:12 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avoid the British when on holiday

We're English, my dear. Arrogance is beneath us.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
We're English, my dear. Arrogance is beneath us.
Its like the accusation that we believe ourselves to be superior when we all know that it is a fact.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

you are of course spot on
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:46 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I saw that some months ago, are the Spanish owned bars and clubs still running the bar crawls/drinks games et al and encouraging youngsters to drink to dangerous levels ? The Brits have a soft spot at times for booze but lets lay some of the blame squarely on some of the bar/club owners who are out for the €€€€€'s
Definitely.

In addition the Spanish authorities could clean up these troublesome areas at the drop of a hat if they so wished by simply closing down the establishments where most problems occur, but there is no way they will kill off such a lucrative cash cow from which so many of them benefit both directly and indirectly.

A few years back I stopped off for a night at a family hotel in the notorious San Antonio area of Ibiza, the week before the 18 to 30s were due to arrive and stay there.
The owners were in their 60s and I said to them, I bet you're not looking forward to next week.

Que?
We look forward to this all Winter, not just for the money they spend but just to have them around and see them having a good time and even join in the fun says he.

I said yes but what about the mess they make ?

Oh, that's nothing, no problem at all, we are all only young once and it's their main opportunity of the year to have a good time so we don't mind at all and really love their company.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Africa begins at the Spanish border is the most common one.

My Spanish pals despise the French for such remarks and their oh so superior attitude.
A bit like some expats on this thread I suppose, but the less said on that the better.

Perceived superior attitude may be a better way of putting it. As someone who has had a mistress for over 35 years the lady being France I would not agree with your Spanish pals.

Perception and actually living there are two differing things.

Of course they argue better wine - I do not necessarily agree. I hate Bordeaux overpriced and more or a cult and a trophy than a wine.

I would argue that they do produce the better cheese and certainly their fruit is not grown under acres of tunnels. Then go to the north coast and shellfish. The French would have an apoplectic fit to witness the price of the red gambas from Javea and Denia.

Here I can see what is coming 'why then do you not move...........'

The answer is we are and after 2013 and 2015 we have decided that Spain is not for us - simply really.

We have taken a view point and weighted pluses and minuses

Our general experience is that the Spanish are lovely people but........and there is always but always a but.

In 2013 we did not have much of an exposure to the Spanish approach to animal welfare. This year different in that we have joined a Podenco club and rescued some with their puppies.

We are now seeing at first hand what happens and stringing up dogs on trees burning them etc. Then twelve in a shipping container at Valencia and with dogs dying daily.

And bullfighting.

That has weighed heavily upon our decision making process. Some here will argue 'culture' that is the way they do things.

Sorry culture can never ever be equated to or with abject cruelty.

Indeed the Mayor and I have had heated battles over this point.

However our decision we must live with it and thus we wish everyone well.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of one of the more extreme acquaintances of ours, who graciously offered to drive me from palma one day.

Along the way I had to suffer a constant stream of outbursts about stupid Spanish drivers. Look at that idiot! Goddam Spanish drivers!

Then he went on to rationalise it by claiming that it's because driving on the right is an unnatural and dangerous way to drive. The only safe way is to drive on the left, apparently explaining why all drivers in the rest of the world drive like idiots.

But that wasn't the icing on the cake. He went on to a rant about hogging the middle lane, "bloody dangerous" and the Germans are the worst offenders (a nationality known for its very structured driving laws and habits). There's a law against this in the UK, he said.

The amusing part is that throughout that rant, he was driving 80kmh in the middle lane of a 120kmh motorway, everybody whizzing by both on the right and left, all of which were obviously 'idiot' drivers, of course...
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
We are now seeing at first hand what happens and stringing up dogs on trees burning them etc. Then twelve in a shipping container at Valencia and with dogs dying daily.

And bullfighting.

Did you leave the UK because of fox hunting? How did you live in France when they torture and forcefeed geese to get ther pate de foie gras?

What about farmed battery chickens? They live miserable lives all over the world. Their lives are torture from birth to the dinner plate. Can't you find a chicken-free island somewhere to live on?

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 23rd 2015 at 9:27 pm. Reason: Read site rule #1
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Perceived superior attitude may be a better way of putting it. As someone who has had a mistress for over 35 years the lady being France I would not agree with your Spanish pals.

Perception and actually living there are two differing things.

Of course they argue better wine - I do not necessarily agree. I hate Bordeaux overpriced and more or a cult and a trophy than a wine.

I would argue that they do produce the better cheese and certainly their fruit is not grown under acres of tunnels. Then go to the north coast and shellfish. The French would have an apoplectic fit to witness the price of the red gambas from Javea and Denia.

Here I can see what is coming 'why then do you not move...........'

The answer is we are and after 2013 and 2015 we have decided that Spain is not for us - simply really.

We have taken a view point and weighted pluses and minuses

Our general experience is that the Spanish are lovely people but........and there is always but always a but.

In 2013 we did not have much of an exposure to the Spanish approach to animal welfare. This year different in that we have joined a Podenco club and rescued some with their puppies.

And bullfighting.

That has weighed heavily upon our decision making process. Some here will argue 'culture' that is the way they do things.

Sorry culture can never ever be equated to or with abject cruelty.

Indeed the Mayor and I have had heated battles over this point.

However our decision we must live with it and thus we wish everyone well.

, "percieved superior attitude" well I'm not sure,

We'd have to look on it from a Spanish POV and their own experiences to really be certain about that.

With the odd exception or two I ve generally found the French ok to get along with, especially the ladies. , the moment they speak I am like putty in their hands.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:10 pm
On the road again.

Reminds me of one of the more extreme acquaintances of ours, who graciously offered to drive me from palma one day.

Along the way I had to suffer a constant stream of outbursts about stupid Spanish drivers. Look at that idiot! Goddam Spanish drivers!

Then he went on to rationalise it by claiming that it's because driving on the right is an unnatural and dangerous way to drive. The only safe way is to drive on the left, apparently explaining why all drivers in the rest of the world drive like idiots.

But that wasn't the icing on the cake. He went on to a rant about hogging the middle lane, "bloody dangerous" and the Germans are the worst offenders (a nationality known for its very structured driving laws and habits). There's a law against this in the UK, he said.

The amusing part is that throughout that rant, he was driving 80kmh in the middle lane of a 120kmh motorway, everybody whizzing by both on the right and left, all of which were obviously 'idiot' drivers, of course...

There's always a one, or maybe two.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

, "percieved superior attitude" well I'm not sure,

We'd have to look on it from a Spanish POV and their own experiences to really be certain about that.

With the odd exception or two I ve generally found the French ok to get along with, especially the ladies. , the moment they speak I am like putty in their hands.

I am not sure one should go down that route at this time in the morning. However and despite living there for years my neighbour screws up her face when I mangle the grammar. What follows is then a lecture.

take care
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough.

But conversely, if one chooses to live in that isolation in your life abroad, it's equally pompous to go around whinging about everyone else and how 'unbritish' (backward, 'third-world', undesirable) everything is. I hear those sentiments often from precisely those very British expats living in British expat communities. Yet its hardly backward here. It's just different.

Oddly though, you don't hear much of that from other nationalities. It seems to be a British fixation. Hence the stereotype.
Not living in isolation though, many live in Brit communities and are very happy doing so. I hear little or no complaints from Brits regarding the Spanish.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Not living in isolation though, many live in Brit communities and are very happy doing so. I hear little or no complaints from Brits regarding the Spanish.
What's not to like? Sun, no creepy foreign stuff to suffer...

As for no complaints about Spanish (or other foreigners) You ought to spend some time in a British expat community in Spain. Better yet, accompany a local resident when they go outside it.

Or just read some of the comments posted in this thread.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

As for no complaints about Spanish (or other foreigners) You ought to spend some time in a British expat community in Spain. Better yet, accompany a local resident when they go outside it.

Oh, I have done.

I'm lucky in that I have a very comfortable retirement income and am not tied to one area. I'm based in Wales but this last twelve months I've been to the USA/Canada, France, Germany, Gran Canaria and mainland Spain and I'm off to Egypt shortly. You should try and travel more, open up your horizons.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:42 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I think you must live somewhere really bad or hang out with a bad lot - always complaining about the Spanish and so on - because I never heard much where I was.

As for this thread - it is mostly Brits complaining about Brits or, if it's Brits complaining about other nationalities it's understandable retaliation against blatant stereotyping of Brits by these other nationalities.

Last edited by jimenato; Jul 24th 2015 at 2:45 am.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:59 am
Banned

Actually, I'm surrounded by a lovely lot. They just don't happen to be all Brits. Or even mostly. Really, we only have 2 British couples we really enjoy socialising with. But those 2 have lived abroad for most of their days, too, which leads me back to my original point: Leaving your bubble expands your horizons. I reckon that explains why those who have done so inevitably find more commonality between them, regardless of nationality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.