Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Autonomo or employed, which is best?

Autonomo or employed, which is best?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Debrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the rough
Default Autonomo or employed, which is best?

I have just got a job and my new boss has asked me if i want to go autonomo or employed by him.... I am not sure which is of more benefit for me financially or otherwise,
Can anyone advise me ?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autonomo or employed, which is best?

Originally Posted by Debrina
I have just got a job and my new boss has asked me if i want to go autonomo or employed by him.... I am not sure which is of more benefit for me financially or otherwise,
Can anyone advise me ?
You are much better off being employed by your boss.
Not only will you save on the SS quoto you will also have right to holidays and if you become unemployed you will have rights to the dole, depending how long you work.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Debrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the roughDebrina is a jewel in the rough

But won't I get more money if I'm autonomo ? My boss told me i will have 15 days holiday a year plus spanish national holidays,
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

But won't I get more money if I'm autonomo ? My boss told me i will have 15 days holiday a year plus spanish national holidays,

Maybe, but as an autonomo you will have to pay at least €240 a month to the Govt here and presumably wont be paid for any holidays you take
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:41 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

If you go autonomo then the work contract may not be so good either.
What happens if the incomming work lowers or even stops would he still pay you?. When employed he has to fire you if there is no work. That can be expensive for him.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

The benefits of being employed sooooooooooo outweigh the benefits of being autonoma!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Emma Louise .or anybody, can you tell me in what way the benefits of being employed out- weigh being autonomo ?? As my boss is giving me the choice I want to make the right decision
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Emma Louise .or anybody, can you tell me in what way the benefits of being employed out- weigh being autonomo ?? As my boss is giving me the choice I want to make the right decision
if you are autonoma you will have no contract - your boss can simply tell you one day that there is no more work - or less work - bye bye

you will have no employment rights

no holiday/sickness entitlement

no unemployment benefit rights - even after years of working for the same boss

your hourly rate might be more as autonoma - but you will have to pay the autonomo payment as stated before of at least 240 a month + tax

also I'm not entirely sure that you can be autonoma & work exclusively for one client

Last edited by lynnxa; Jun 21st 2010 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

also I'm not entirely sure that you can be autonoma & work exclusively for one client
Absolutely you cannot. If the authorities notice that you only work for one client then they will get chased for your social security payments
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

The one group of people for whom it makes sense to be autonomo are those who have a lot of business clients (with possibly one or two private on the black). For this reason English teachers in the big cities often choose to go down the autonomo route - in many cases they wouldn't get the lucrative business classes unless they did this. I can't see how it would benefit someone with only one client though.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you are autonoma you will have no contract - your boss can simply tell you one day that there is no more work - or less work - bye bye

you will have no employment rights

no holiday/sickness entitlement

no unemployment benefit rights - even after years of working for the same boss

your hourly rate might be more as autonoma - but you will have to pay the autonomo payment as stated before of at least 240 a month + tax

Exactly!

Also;
I worked as autonoma for years, then had one year employed, got the sack due to the recession and was only given a few months dole money as the years as autonoma don't count!
Autonoma for 1 client is too risky...
As said your hourly rate may be more, but after you've paid social (now 260 a month) and maybe some tax? and a gestor to do your tax returns for you and the official facturas (as you will have to bill your employer for your wages) etc. it is not extra pennies in your pocket....
Plus autonoma only really works if you have many bills to pay, like when e had the bar, there were lots and lots of facturas (for the beer, electric, pepsi etc. staff wages etc.) that I could use at the end of each quarter to keep my tax down...

If you have been lucky enough to get a job that offers a contract take it!

Unless your future boss is pushing the autonoma bit? (it saves them money)....
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Exactly!

Also;
I worked as autonoma for years, then had one year employed, got the sack due to the recession and was only given a few months dole money as the years as autonoma don't count!
Autonoma for 1 client is too risky...
As said your hourly rate may be more, but after you've paid social (now 260 a month) and maybe some tax? and a gestor to do your tax returns for you and the official facturas (as you will have to bill your employer for your wages) etc. it is not extra pennies in your pocket....
Plus autonoma only really works if you have many bills to pay, like when e had the bar, there were lots and lots of facturas (for the beer, electric, pepsi etc. staff wages etc.) that I could use at the end of each quarter to keep my tax down...

If you have been lucky enough to get a job that offers a contract take it!

Unless your future boss is pushing the autonoma bit? (it saves them money)....
almost certainly pushing the autonoma...........
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

So if I go autonomo..and I don't pay the ss..how will they know???
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

So if I go autonomo..and I don't pay the ss..how will they know???
that's the million euro question.................................

don't forget you'd be without health cover & so on too
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Well I don't really need the health cover as I've had private for the last couple of years, so do I in fact need to pay the 250 or so euros per month ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.