Reload this Page >

Autism & Education in Spain

Autism & Education in Spain

Old Sep 6th 2020, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

TheFatEagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Autism & Education in Spain

Hello all,
My family and I are in the VERY early stages of considering a move to France or Spain. I have a 5 year-old who is diagnosed with Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder and a 19-month old who may also be showing early signs of being on the spectrum.
I haven’t been able to find many threads on this subject and hoped someone might have knowledge or experience that they could share?
Any such move would be huge and, at present, we do have access to an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) & Occupational Therapist. I don’t want to put him in a worse situation or face possible future struggles with diagnosis for my other son.
Thank you so much in advance.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autism & Education in Spain

Do you have fluent French or Spanish?

Could not imagine anything harder than handling/organising essential health services without being able to speak the language fluently.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 6:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Autism & Education in Spain

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Do you have fluent French or Spanish?

Could not imagine anything harder than handling/organising essential health services without being able to speak the language fluently.
Found your post after having replied on the France forum.
I agree that the parents must be able to communicate with all the services involved (medical and administrative), let alone get their children assessed if they don't understand what they are being asked. Even if assessors speak some English, their accent would surely disorientate the child and would they correctly understand what the child is saying?
Speaking the local language is "advisable" for most potential expats, but essential in this case....