Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vehicle breakdown cover - Driving to UK in Spanish car

Vehicle breakdown cover - Driving to UK in Spanish car

Old Aug 24th 2020, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Lin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really nice
Default Vehicle breakdown cover - Driving to UK in Spanish car

We have a fairly new Spanish car which came with free breakdown cover but unfortunately it only covers us in Spain. We’re having to drive back to the UK for a couple of months. Can anyone recommend a company where we can buy breakdown cover for a one off trip driving through France then onto the UK? I assume this type of cover would only be available to purchase here in Spain.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 12:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle breakdown cover - Driving to UK in Spanish car

Originally Posted by Lin and Ed
We have a fairly new Spanish car which came with free breakdown cover but unfortunately it only covers us in Spain. We’re having to drive back to the UK for a couple of months. Can anyone recommend a company where we can buy breakdown cover for a one off trip driving through France then onto the UK? I assume this type of cover would only be available to purchase here in Spain.

Many thanks.
Will you be resident in the UK, I notice you have Milton Keynes as your location, so is the Spanish place a holiday home. I ask this because it is illegal for a UK resident to drive a non-UK registered car while in the UK.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
linea Direct offer a policy which includes breakdown coverage in the whole of the EU ( assume you will be back by 31st December ) maybe worthwhile talking to them.
Catalan Occidente do something similar
Old Aug 24th 2020, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you contact your Spanish breakdown insurer and ask if they can extend your cover for your trip? You may have to pay a supplement but I would think they could sort that out for you.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Lin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really niceLin and Ed is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Will you be resident in the UK, I notice you have Milton Keynes as your location, so is the Spanish place a holiday home. I ask this because it is illegal for a UK resident to drive a non-UK registered car while in the UK.
We are Spanish residents....whoops forget to edit our location when we gained our residency!

Old Aug 24th 2020, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
linea Direct offer a policy which includes breakdown coverage in the whole of the EU ( assume you will be back by 31st December ) maybe worthwhile talking to them.
Thank you for your reply ‘Loafing Along’...our car is insured with Linea Direct but we didn’t take out their breakdown cover as it came with the car when we bought it and didn’t expect to have to drive back to the UK. Will contact them to see what they offer, will also try Catalan Occidente.
Old Aug 24th 2020, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobd22
Why don't you contact your Spanish breakdown insurer and ask if they can extend your cover for your trip? You may have to pay a supplement but I would think they could sort that out for you.
Yes, we did try our current Spanish breakdown insurer but they couldn’t help! In fact, the telephone number we were given to call was a UK number....strange that they don’t cover you in Europe only Spain. They only cover our make of car if bought in the UK...if bought in Spain...only covered in Spain!,

Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Do you not have breakdown cover included in yout car insurance cover?
Old Aug 25th 2020, 9:37 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Do you not have breakdown cover included in yout car insurance cover?
He states that he has but only for Spain.

Many thanks.
Rosemary
Old Aug 25th 2020, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rosemary
He states that he has but only for Spain.
Rosemary
He states that the breakdown cover came with the new car. Some new cars offer that sort of cover as an incentive. He may also be covered through his car insurance policy. I was attempting to clarify.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 10:27 am
Just Joined

He states that the breakdown cover came with the new car. Some new cars offer that sort of cover as an incentive. He may also be covered through his car insurance policy. I was attempting to clarify.
Our insurance company, Linea Direct offered breakdown cover as an extra - it wasn’t included in the policy! We assumed we wouldn’t need it as we had free breakdown cover when we bought the car. Not sure if Linea Direct’s breakdown covers Europe or just Spain as their website doesn’t contain much info. We’ll have to contact them.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Our insurance company, Linea Direct offered breakdown cover as an extra - it wasn’t included in the policy! We assumed we wouldn’t need it as we had free breakdown cover when we bought the car. Not sure if Linea Direct’s breakdown covers Europe or just Spain as their website doesn’t contain much info. We’ll have to contact them.
My Linea Directa policy includes breakdown cover for Europe inc UK. We had to use them in the middle of France last year and they were excellent. A bit of a mix up over our location but once the grua found us we were recovered to a garage which did the repair with LD finding and paying for a decent hotel with taxi to and from. We were given the option of having the car returned to Spain and hire car for our onward journey but we decided to spend 36 hours in rural France which was very pleasant.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

My Linea Directa policy includes breakdown cover for Europe inc UK. We had to use them in the middle of France last year and they were excellent. A bit of a mix up over our location but once the grua found us we were recovered to a garage which did the repair with LD finding and paying for a decent hotel with taxi to and from. We were given the option of having the car returned to Spain and hire car for our onward journey but we decided to spend 36 hours in rural France which was very pleasant.
Thank you for the info rafikiphoto, thats very useful. We’ll speak to Linea Direct and take out their breakdown cover. Probably best to take out the yearly policy rather than for a one off trip as we do pop across to Portugal occasionally which means we wouldn’t be covered with our Peugeot breakdown cover.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
I am insured by Linea direct and my insurance includesEurope wide breakdown recover . They told me that if I broke down they would arrange for the vehicle to be towed back from anywhere in Europe but NOT from the UK.
Pete
Old Sep 6th 2020, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere in Europe but not UK? Since when has The UK not been in Europe? Was that actual recovery back to Spain or recovery to say a UK dealer in the event of a breakdown?

i wonder if Kaliningrad is included?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.