Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Australian & UK couple info help please!!

Australian & UK couple info help please!!

Old May 1st 2015, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

monjue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian & UK couple info help please!!

Hi and thanks to anyone taking the time to read this!

So here goes. I was born in the UK and hold a UK passport. I have been living and working in Australia for the past 12 years as a permanent resident. I have not bothered with my Australian citizenship as yet and may never?.
One year ago I married my Australian finance of 6 years back in the UK. Getting married in the UK was the least i could do for my family as I'm the only one living in Australia. My wife and I have always traveled to the UK to visit my family every year for the past 5 years. All her family are living close by to us in Australia and made the trip out to the UK for the wedding.

Once we were married we looked into maybe moving back to the UK. As it turns out my wife cannot come and live with me in the UK on a Australian passport regardless of our marriage. Australia is not part of the EU and makes it very difficult for us to reside in the UK even as a legitimate married couple. Its about a 5 year process and pretty much requires you to stay in the UK for all this time while your application is processed. We cannot commit to 5 years just like that I'm afraid! So we thought maybe we could live in another country if its possible?... maybe Spain or the canary islands as we love the Spanish lifestyle so much.

Since i was a very young boy I have been going to the island of Lanzarote.
About 4 years ago I brought my wife here for the first time and she loves it! We also have friends in Lanzarote.
Every year when we visit the UK we will travel around the continent to Holland, Germany, Spain etc. and always finish in Lanzarote and spend the most time there. Almost a break after all the travel.

So I was searching online regarding living in Spain with my Australian wife and from what I understand The rights of the EU citizen (me) are extended to my wife? So if this is correct we should be able to move to the canary islands together as easy as if I was moving there on my own from the UK on my British passport? I also understand the relevant paperwork for residency etc would have to be filled out and private health care would be needed etc. but it definitely seems to be much easier than trying to live back in the UK with my wife... my home!

Any further Info would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 1st 2015, 3:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian & UK couple info help please!!

To be honest, I would suggest you get your Australian citizenship sorted first, it will save no end of problems if you do decide to return, as to the Spain bit, then yes you are correct, you could move to Spain and she could accompany you.
Old May 1st 2015, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Yes your right about the citizenship. Luckily thats the easy part for me.
I can't believe Spain and i presume other EU countries are giving me more rights than my own country? Its so strange!! I do understand the UK has laws to prevent immigrants entering the country (to some degree) but those same laws are preventing myself and my wife from living in my home.

Thank you so much for your reply, it has made us happy.
Old May 1st 2015, 4:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monjue
Yes your right about the citizenship. Luckily thats the easy part for me.
I can't believe Spain and i presume other EU countries are giving me more rights than my own country? Its so strange!! I do understand the UK has laws to prevent immigrants entering the country (to some degree) but those same laws are preventing myself and my wife from living in my home.

Thank you so much for your reply, it has made us happy.
You would have to fulfil the Spanish residency requirements, but it would also give you a means of returning to the UK..

Surinder Singh : British Expat Wiki

and

Spain - Lifestyle : British Expat Wiki
Old May 1st 2015, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thats very useful and interesting information. Thank you so much!!
Old May 1st 2015, 4:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monjue
Hi and thanks to anyone taking the time to read this!
Any further Info would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary