Reload this Page >

Advice for the girl at the crossroads

Advice for the girl at the crossroads

Old Apr 27th 2015, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Bianca. is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Advice for the girl at the crossroads

Hi All.

I am hoping for some advice from you lovely people in regards locations and life in Spain however before I ask away I feel it's appropriate to explain my situation and why I am the girl at the crossroads.

I have recently (10 days ago) broken up with my Fiancé, after a life changing 4 months. He was offered a job in the U.S back in November and after some prompt discussions we decided to take the plunge and grab life with both hands and accept. He left the UK in January and quickly settled into the American Lifestyle - I followed on 1st April and by April 17th I was on a plane back to the UK my relationship in tatters not knowing which way to turn.

After many hours of contemplating life I have come to the conclusion that the UK isn't right for me and I need to escape to my own little paradise and build my life again (Oh and my mum is going to follow!!)

My initial thoughts were to go to Australia however due to my occupation not being on the skilled migration list that dream quickly shattered.I have always liked Spain - The culture, history, food and obviously the weather it seemed a no brainer to explore my options.

I understand the economy isn't thriving at the moment but i do believe things can only get better and with the right amount of determination you can and will succeed.

So I guess my questions are;

1) Which areas would suit a 28 & 48 year old women (we have been researching malaga)

2) Which areas are better for job seekers?

3) British Expats is your lifestyle what you expected it to be?

I would appreciate honest and open views on whether this would be a good move or not (I am under no illusion that it will be easy)

Myself and my mum are very outgoing and love ssocializingwith people however I feel that I need to outline drunken brits, pub crawls and full english breakfasts are not on my to do list!

Ideally we would like somewhere close to a city, sea views, lovely weather and somewhere where it would be quite easy to integrate and not feel isolated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my life story (so far!!) and I appreciate all your views and opinions xx
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for the girl at the crossroads

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bianca

You have not mentioned how many languages you speak, how many degrees and post-graduate degrees you have and how many years experience in your industry you have. Do you have an incredible CV and some good contacts in insductry around Spain?

50% of young people under 30 are unemployed. Determination isn't the key decider!

Btw, very sorry about your relationship break-up
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cricketman

I speak very little Spanish however I am enrolling into night school as we speak to try and eliminate this barrier.

Primarily my background is in sales dealing with contracts worth over 2 million pounds - I have experience within the public sector and IT spanning over 11 years (since I left school)
rightfully or wrongfully I didn't go to university to study anything in particular as from my experience no-one ever really used their degrees once they had left uni. I was probably young and naive and wanted to earn money!

I do feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now - I assume that this is the after effects of the break up mixed in with a little feeling sorry for myself.

I am however in a very fortunate situation where I can invest some money into a business/property and look at that avenue but I do not wish to rush into something that will see me squandering money and being worse off than I am right now.

Last edited by Bianca.; Apr 27th 2015 at 2:46 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bianca.

Ideally we would like somewhere close to a city, sea views, lovely weather and somewhere where it would be quite easy to integrate and not feel isolated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my life story (so far!!) and I appreciate all your views and opinions xx
Sorry regarding your relationship. The above is what everyone is looking for and if it was that easy, everyone would go there. One of my Spanish work colleagues recently went back to Spain and said he had no problem finding a job, but his issue was the low pay and long working hours. He studied, is from Spain and even with a job isn't happy, because he doesn't have the time and money to enjoy Spain. It's easy to be blinded by the sun, that holiday lifestyle, but working in Spain is a different story. Madrid is too far from the sea and Barcelona might tick some of your boxes, however it depends on your skills. If you have money sure, but if not you'd be better off saving hard in the UK while you're still young. Most Spanish I know are in the UK or here in Ireland, save up for a house or apartment and then move back to Spain. With no mortgage, it's a lot easier to survive and you're more flexible.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Primarily my background is in sales dealing with contracts worth over 2 million pounds - I have experience within the public sector and IT spanning over 11 years (since I left school)
You have good experience, but it will take 3-4 years solid studying and practice to get your Spanish anywhere close to being able to work in Spanish

And even if you do, there will be 100s applying with you for every position, maybe 1000s

If you really want to move to Spain for the right reasons then please prepare yourself and perhaps make it a 5 year plan - but there are no easy answers here

And moses2013 is correct
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Sorry regarding your relationship. The above is what everyone is looking for and if it was that easy, everyone would go there. One of my Spanish work colleagues recently went back to Spain and said he had no problem finding a job, but his issue was the low pay and long working hours. He studied, is from Spain and even with a job isn't happy, because he doesn't have the time and money to enjoy Spain. It's easy to be blinded by the sun, that holiday lifestyle, but working in Spain is a different story. Madrid is too far from the sea and Barcelona might tick some of your boxes, however it depends on your skills. If you have money sure, but if not you'd be better off saving hard in the UK while you're still young. Most Spanish I know are in the UK or here in Ireland, save up for a house or apartment and then move back to Spain. With no mortgage, it's a lot easier to survive and you're more flexible.
Thank you Moses - I completely agree and what you have mentioned above is a major concern for me. Moving for "sun, sea and sand" isn't the bee all and end all and I am determined not to see things through rose tinted glasses.

As part of this post I wanted to learn about the good, bad and damn right ugly side of Spain before I make a move I will potentially live to regret.

As I had perviously mentioned I am fortunate to be in a position where I will be able to buy a property outright (don't get me wrong - its not enough for a 3 bedroomed villa with a pool right on the ocean front) but something I could call my own and live happily knowing I don't have a mortgage.

Staying in the UK is most definitely an option just maybe not what I really want deep down.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I had perviously mentioned I am fortunate to be in a position where I will be able to buy a property outright (don't get me wrong - its not enough for a 3 bedroomed villa with a pool right on the ocean front) but something I could call my own and live happily knowing I don't have a mortgage.
Lots of people in Spain own their own house but still need to go to the food bank to eat

If you have hundreds of thousands of euros then sure go for it, but rent. Do not buy until your future and job security is sorted

And go where the jobs are, not where the sun is!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
Lots of people in Spain own their own house but still need to go to the food bank to eat

If you have hundreds of thousands of euros then sure go for it, but rent. Do not buy until your future and job security is sorted

And go where the jobs are, not where the sun is!
This is all good feedback - thank you.

Apart from the job front - do you guys have any suggestions on areas within Spain that are not too touristy yet easy to integrate into?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Moses - I completely agree and what you have mentioned above is a major concern for me. Moving for "sun, sea and sand" isn't the bee all and end all and I am determined not to see things through rose tinted glasses.

As part of this post I wanted to learn about the good, bad and damn right ugly side of Spain before I make a move I will potentially live to regret.

Staying in the UK is most definitely an option just maybe not what I really want deep down.
I would give it a bit more time, because at the moment it's easy to see the negatives. Overall the UK isn't a bad place and you have many options. You could maybe buy a property in Spain now and continue to work in the UK. Save up a bit more, work on the language and then see what time brings. If you are buying in Spain, make sure it's somewhere you would want to live for life.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apart from the job front - do you guys have any suggestions on areas within Spain that are not too touristy yet easy to integrate into?
I'm 30s too, and actually took my job with me from the UK

I have been offered jobs in Spain while I have been here, but on half as much money. To be fair, it doesnt matter how much sun there is, a 50% salary cut is never attractive

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 27th 2015 at 3:35 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is all good feedback - thank you.

I'm in my 30's and far from retirement, so I looked at all the whole picture.
I like Spain, but don't know if I'd want to live there permanently. If I do want to move over at some stage, I have to be close (max 1 hour) from a city where there is work. I don't like living in the city, prefer green space and want to live in a house with garden, but not too far from the sea. Didn't have a big budget, so ended up buying a plot of land in Girona region. For me it was the easiest and cheapest option.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If you read through the forum the more recent advice is to rent and not buy.
That will give you the opportunity to be more flexible in your approach should it be necessary and try different areas for work and living
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Do not buy in Spain unless you are happy to sit on a loss for some time. With buying/legal costs (15%) and the risk on currency, if you buy and it doesn't work out, you shall end up, in all probability, selling at a loss. Add selling costs and you may end up with little.
Rent in the short term and if it works out then buy in an area that you know and have researched.

As for location, it seems as though you shall be looking for work in a city that you may have to commute to so ensure transport links exist.
We all love our own part of Spain but you may find Valencia works as it has good transport links in to it, so is commutable from less expensive areas.

Good luck but do not be impulsive and let your heart rule your head.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

lesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond reputelesleyandme has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bianca,
Sorry to hear of your relationship break up.
I too am looking to make a move to Spain.
On the subject of learning the language have you tried Duolingo?
Its a free app for your phone and it works really well, Im amazed how well I have progressed.
Good luck with your future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.