Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Asian Supermarket near Malaga?

Asian Supermarket near Malaga?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all
Default Re: Asian Supermarket near Malaga?

Fantastic! Especially the curry leaves. Its things like that that (and fenugreek leaves) that are so hard to get here
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Hi to the OP and to Lynn R who both live in Velez Málaga - I live the other side of Periana so I know the area fairly well.

It's probably a bit obvious, but have you tried the 2 British shops at Puente don Manuel - just 15-20 mins up the road? Both stock a good range of Asian items. Arkwrights, in particular, have a huge range, even stocking ingredients I've never come across before in the UK! Yes - they can be pricey but it's worth it for the sheer range. For example, they have about 4 or 5 different types of coconut milk in stock, plus 3 different types of oyster sauce. They even stock items for Japanese cooking!

The 2 farmer's markets in the area are worth a visit too - Tuesday at Trapiche (virtually in Velez!) and Friday at Puente. Both have people selling fresh food including items such as samosas. The Tuesday one is probably the best, but when I was at the Friday one last week a woman had just started up and was selling good, ready made items.

The market at Torré del Mar has two stalls selling loose herbs and spices - I always get my Chinese 5 spice powder there. One stall - the one nearer the row of shops - even does spice mixtures such as falafel mix and kebab mix at excellent prices.

Finally, the garden centre, La Palma, on the Velez outskirts, stocks the huge bunches of fresh coriander that we're used to buying back in the UK - for just €1 - (they supply restaurants in the area so always have loads in stock), They also usually have, depending on the season, Chinese cabbage and Pak Choi etc.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Surfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant future

A big thanks to everyone who has posted information on this subject.
We took a trip to Sugar and Spice in Competa upon a recommendation and were pleasantly suprised. The frozen curries/chinese were really expensive so we passed on those, but there was a massive range of pastes, tinned curry sauce, char sui, hoi sin etc. The best bit was that a lot of the products were authentic ones that we've bought from Chinese supermarkets before! Very impressed and will be going back.

I will definately be checking out those two markets, they sound great. I have never seen pak choi sold anywhere in Spain, how exciting! Will also drop into the garden centre. I LOVE corriander and am looking longingly at my 2 plants that just won't grow.....Until then, bunchs will do fine.

S.B

Last edited by Surfin Bird; Aug 24th 2011 at 4:02 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
Finally, the garden centre, La Palma, on the Velez outskirts, stocks the huge bunches of fresh coriander that we're used to buying back in the UK
Our local covered market always has large bunches of Coriander but you can also buy it in Mercadonna. More expensive and smaller packs but sometimes that's all you need.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surfin Bird
A big thanks to everyone who has posted information on this subject.
We took a trip to Sugar and Spice in Competa upon a recommendation and were pleasantly suprised. The frozen curries/chinese were really expensive so we passed on those, but there was a massive range of pastes, tinned curry sauce, char sui, hoi sin etc. The best bit was that a lot of the products were authentic ones that we've bought from Chinese supermarkets before! Very impressed and will be going back.

S.B
And you can pick up a bit of furniture or an ornament while you are there.

BTW Eroski also have coriander, parsley, basil and a couple of other herbs in pots. Paid 90c for emergency coriander in there the other day