Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Asian Supermarket near Malaga?

Asian Supermarket near Malaga?

Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice
Default Re: Asian Supermarket near Malaga?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Because Spanish people would never think of eating Chinese or Indian food at home
cricketman!! you're back!!!

I totally agree (of course). Here, people don't eat Asian food at home, most of them not even out. I like Chinese every now and then (out, never home) and I don't mind trying something sometimes, like some Japanese, but as most people I know, I don't like spicy food and the curry types, so Indian for instance is out of the question.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siesta
cricketman!! you're back!!!
I'm going to try and keep calm this time
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Good point but where do all these Asian restaurants buy it?
Yes This is what I was wondering. I'm right out of Coconut milk, and we use it a LOT for Thai green curry which is an excellent way to use up over production of aubergines and courgettes, and for pineapple coconut and lime drinks. Made with crushed ice it's an excellent cooler and actually we often don't eat in the evenings because it's too damn hot. This non-alcoholic cocktail is just lovely and fills the gap!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Is it too specific a question to ask what the OP actually wants to buy? coconut milk - check. (carrefour, I think, if not iceland). Star anise - check. La Cala market (maybe other markets have similarly comprehensive spice stalls?)
after that I struggle because I can't be sure what the OP is after.
Maybe, methinks, a biz opportunity is within grasp............
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Seasoned Pioneers and they post to Spain. I have found them to be really reliable .
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Surfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant futureSurfin Bird has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fionamw
Is it too specific a question to ask what the OP actually wants to buy? coconut milk - check. (carrefour, I think, if not iceland). Star anise - check. La Cala market (maybe other markets have similarly comprehensive spice stalls?)
after that I struggle because I can't be sure what the OP is after.
Maybe, methinks, a biz opportunity is within grasp............
Hi, it would be lovely to find somewhere that stocked fresh and frozen authentic curries, dhals, falafels, parathas, nut roats, and other delicious pre cooked food for a stock up. As well as this, thai curry paste, samosas and all the other usual suspects. I know coconut milk is widely available as are lots of spices. It's the ready made food that we miss so much. My partner is vegetarian and a spice freak, when we lived in Brighton we were so spoilt for choice. After 2 years in Spain, we are missing that type of cusine. We've just moved from Almeria and were hoping Malaga would have a more extensive range of these type of shops. So far, FaFa foods seems the best, but I think they lack the fresh stuff. Like someone pointed out in an earlier post, you see all these Chinese industrial estates and I was hoping that there would be a Chinese supermarket in one. They are fantastic and cheap shops with really authentic Asian food and pastes etc. The opinion seems to be that there are none in Malaga though. If anyone does know, please drop me a line.

Thanks,

S.B
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We have a lot of Asian friends so all our spices etc. come from Birmingham at very low prices. In Torremolinos their is a Halal butchers called Rif, they sell a few morrocan spices, if you wander about near there, there are several shops selling Indian spices etc, but they are expensive. I am not sure of the name of the road but it is near the underground carpark.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surfin Bird
Hi, it would be lovely to find somewhere that stocked fresh and frozen authentic curries, dhals, falafels, parathas, nut roats, and other delicious pre cooked food for a stock up. As well as this, thai curry paste, samosas and all the other usual suspects. I know coconut milk is widely available as are lots of spices. It's the ready made food that we miss so much.
Morrisons in Gib stock samosas, nans at not too stupid prices, along with the normal selection of ready made sauces that you'd find in a UK supermarket. Bit of a trek I know but if you make the odd trip there then you can stock up.

Iranzos in Nerja has been mentioned for spices but they have a huge stock of Thai/Indian curry sauces, although not cheap.

Ready made curries, then visit Sugar and Spice in Competa. They sell some spices, english food stuffs, furniture, but they also have a range of frozen curries bought from an Indian restaurant. Taste of India in Torrox if I recall correctly. They normally advertise in Grapevine magazine. Or go to an Indian and order a bunch of takeawy then put it in the freezer.

Most stuff is available you just have to be prepared to stock up while you are in the vicinity of each shop. No one stop like the Taj here I'm afraid. I could be wrong, it has been known to happen oce or twice. If I am then I would like to know.

Alternatively make curries from scratch, that's what we do now and it's not that hard.

Last edited by bob_day; Aug 17th 2011 at 11:47 am.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Velez-Malaga and haven't found a "proper" Asian supermarket anywhere this side of Malaga, or in Malaga itself for that matter. There is a small food shop in Calle Pintada in Nerja, run by Dutch people, who have the cheapest prices around for things like coconut milk (far cheaper than Iranzo) and also sell fantastic Sambal sauce at 2.00€ for a huge jar.

Other than that, we seek out Asian supermarkets when we take short breaks away to other Spanish cities - there is a good one in Seville quite near Santa Justa railway station, on Avenida Kansas City, and we also found a really good one in Valencia. We're off to Madrid next month so hope to come across one there too. Otherwise it's a question of stocking up on my trips back to the UK. I won't pay Morrison's prices in Gib, not to mention the cost of getting there when I wouldn't be going for any other reason.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:47 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in Gib get your Indian spices and condiments from Ramsons supermarket at Watergardens - not far from Morrison's.

I've given up trying to find a good Indian Restaurant in Spain. I've asked them why they're not as good as authentic British Indian restaurants (which I believe are actually nearer Bangladeshi than Indian in style) and they readily admit that they can't get the same ingredients.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:11 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
If you're in Gib get your Indian spices and condiments from Ramsons supermarket at Watergardens - not far from Morrison's.

I've given up trying to find a good Indian Restaurant in Spain. I've asked them why they're not as good as authentic British Indian restaurants (which I believe are actually nearer Bangladeshi than Indian in style) and they readily admit that they can't get the same ingredients.
not to mention that they are stupid expensive!!

well around here they are, anyway

you don't mind paying if the food is good - but if it's not........
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
not to mention that they are stupid expensive!!

well around here they are, anyway

you don't mind paying if the food is good - but if it's not........
Not always.. Had a superb meal at the Jaipur in Nerja last week and very reasonably priced, well for an Indian.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

As mentioned before the Dutch shop in Nerja (Foodstore Andaluz) has a few asian products, and Iranzo's has overpriced spices and pastes.

I cook loads of curries from scratch and buy my spices online from http://www.alesframa.com/tienda/ - they don't have everything I need but for whole or ground spices they are very reasonably priced and good quality. You can get a half kilo of something for the same price as 80 grams from Iranzo!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

marqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to allmarqueemoon is a name known to all

And I grow my own hot chillies and Scotch Bonnets
Attached Thumbnails Asian Supermarket near Malaga?-scotch-bonnet.jpg   Asian Supermarket near Malaga?-chillies.jpg  
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

So do I. When we first came here buying fresh chillis was impossible. Now it's a bit easier.

We grow Jalapeños and Habaneros and the small Thai chillis and we also have two thriving Curry Leaf plants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.