Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

Old Sep 5th 2020, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Owls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for residency before EU withdrawal

I was due to move to Spain shortly and start application for residence in the Malaga area, however due to my wife's illness that has been put back and may not make it together before 31st Dec, so I'm hoping to get down myself late Nov to get residence for myself for my wife to follow early next year, I have all documentation, NIE, bank account and medical in place, so couple of questions please:
Does anyone see any issues with me doing this?
If I apply for a padron do you get that immediately or is there a waiting period of say a week or two?
Can my solicitor apply for the first part of the TIE assuming they have a digital signature and I just turn up for the face to face appointment?
Is the TIE decision/issued on the spot or later?

Many thanks for your help in advance.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owls
I was due to move to Spain shortly and start application for residence in the Malaga area, however due to my wife's illness that has been put back and may not make it together before 31st Dec, so I'm hoping to get down myself late Nov to get residence for myself for my wife to follow early next year, I have all documentation, NIE, bank account and medical in place, so couple of questions please:
Does anyone see any issues with me doing this?
No issues as it is covered in the withdrawal agreement:
'Family members of United Kingdom nationals shall be beneficiaries provided that they satisfy one of the following conditions:
❖ Have resided in Spain before the end of the transition period and continue to reside here after this period;
❖ Have not resided in Spain before the end of the transition period, but have a direct link with a national of the United Kingdom before the end of the transition period and, at the time when they are to be reunited with them, (e.g. with regard to spouses, dependent ascendants.)'
https://www.machelindiaz.com/wp-cont...BREXIT_ENG.pdf Page 21

You need your marriage certificate, which can either be translated officially through your lawyer, or you can now get a multilingual certificate (state Spanish) from General Register Office. Be careful, it can take a couple of months.

If I apply for a padron do you get that immediately or is there a waiting period of say a week or two?
It should be confirmed immediately but you may have to wait a day or two to get your certificate, and some places charge a small fee (a few euro) for it.

Can my solicitor apply for the first part of the TIE assuming they have a digital signature and I just turn up for the face to face appointment?
No, that isn't allowed. Even if they apply for you online, you still need to be present in Spain at the time of submission.

Is the TIE decision/issued on the spot or later?
Some people who applied in person were told they were approved there and then, while others had to wait a week or two. You are issued with an 'approval' letter valid 45 days, which you need to show when you go to give fingerprints and when you collect the TIE.

Last edited by Joppa; Sep 5th 2020 at 8:23 am.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 8:31 am
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
I suspect they were actually asked just for a Padron, NOT specifically one less than 3 months old.

Based on my own personal experience a couple of weeks ago when I (we) produced a Padron dated 2018!

That was in Alicante btw
Unless the three of us suddenly lost the power of hearing then they specifically DID ask for Padron less than three months old....this was Malaga
Old Sep 5th 2020, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Same in Barcelona. Padron certificate less than 3 months old. They won´t continue without it.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

And yet the government issued English language description of the TIE processes for the various scenarios nowhere as much as mentions a Padron!

https://blogextranjeriaprogestion.or...BREXIT_ENG.pdf
Old Sep 6th 2020, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

And yet the government issued English language description of the TIE processes for the various scenarios nowhere as much as mentions a Padron!

The process only mentions proving you are in spain from a set date. The padrón doesn't prove that just the date of issus.
Our solicitor has said we must use our bank cards as much as possible to show that we are residing in Spain. At no point has she said we need a Padron cert for the application and we will be applying at Alicante.
The padrón has been used previously as a proof of address but we will just supply a copy of our deeds, electric bill, water bill and some receipts from Suma from earlier this year.

I may be wrong but will find out from her on the 14th
Old Sep 7th 2020, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
The process only mentions proving you are in spain from a set date. The padrón doesn't prove that just the date of issus.
Our solicitor has said we must use our bank cards as much as possible to show that we are residing in Spain. At no point has she said we need a Padron cert for the application and we will be applying at Alicante.
The padrón has been used previously as a proof of address but we will just supply a copy of our deeds, electric bill, water bill and some receipts from Suma from earlier this year.

I may be wrong but will find out from her on the 14th
Barry is your difficulty re padron that the Ayuntamiento won't sign you on the padron without you having residencia? Or is it that you don't wish to be on the padron? As you are making yourself resident, if it were me and ayuntamiento will allow you to sign on the padron before attending for the TIE, I would do that as you will be doing it immediately after getting residencia with the TIE anyway. If that helps the system go more smoothly what's to lose? I myself did ensure I never signed on the padron until I was indeed resident that was under old system. However doing my wifes residencia under new TIE rules and from information provided by extranjero office at Malaga they did say padron certificate required for part 1 of the application so rather than argue it with them and fact that my wife would have signed on the padron immediately following the issue of the TIE we got her signed on the padron prior to attending for Extranjero Office part of the new process. Just how we did it not saying what's right or wrong but certainly Málaga did say that's how they wanted it so we didn't rock the boat so to speak.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

I know, but Barcelona won´t do a TIE without a Padron certificate and it seems Malaga is the same.
Old Sep 7th 2020, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inbarcelona
I know, but Barcelona won´t do a TIE without a Padron certificate and it seems Malaga is the same.
.......and Alicante.

Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Malaga doesn't require Padron certificate as confirmed by my gestor applying for us.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joppa
Malaga doesn't require Padron certificate as confirmed by my gestor applying for us.
In that case they have changed the requirement since July as I still have the email saying that an escrutira and padron certificate would be valid proof of residence. Of course it may well be that one or the other would suffice. We took both. As always depends who and when one asks the question.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
In that case they have changed the requirement since July as I still have the email saying that an escrutira and padron certificate would be valid proof of residence. Of course it may well be that one or the other would suffice. We took both. As always depends who and when one asks the question.
I too received a similar reply, but escrutira and padron aren't exclusive documents and there are others you can submit, such as rental contract/document or utility bills.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

In the preamble to Directive 2004/38/EC concerning citizens rights item 14 states:

The supporting documents required by the competent authorities for the issuing of a registration certificate or of a residence card should be
comprehensively specified in order to avoid divergent administrative practices or interpretations constituting an undue obstacle to the exercise
of the right of residence by Union citizens and their family members.

Just saying !
Old Sep 10th 2020, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Joppa
I too received a similar reply, but escrutira and padron aren't exclusive documents and there are others you can submit, such as rental contract/document or utility bills.
Totally agree. My view was although we had always as non residents avoided the padron as we were making ourselves resident and would be signing on the padron anyway, doing so prior to the appointment at the Extranjero Office made sense as they had specifically mentioned it. If it made the process simpler and straight forward was my main thought. It did and all went smoothly. I understand that some ayuntamiento's won't allow signing on padron without residencia so then one would need as you mention use other means as proof of actually living in Spain.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

I know it doesn´t mention a Padron in the Instructions issued by the Spanish Government, but lots of offices are asking for one and won´t proceed without it.
As always, it depends who you ask. Ask 6 different people from the same office and get 6 different answers. Plus I don´t know why different offices are interpreting the instructions in different ways.
I´m going to change my driving licence from UK to Spanish at the end of this month...it seems a simple enough thing to do......but I´m fully expecting something not to be right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.