Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for residency

Applying for residency

Old May 3rd 2019, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

donein is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for residency

Hello all , we have owned a Casa in the Tarragona region for 7 years. Registered at the town hall and have all bills in my name ( water electricity council tax ) I am retired and we do wish to spend over 3 months a year here .
so we need to apply for residency ?
make an appointment at the police station
Take evidence as above
Do I also need
private health insurance
Proof of over 6K euros in my Spanish bank
when we go do they have an interpreter ?
I know we should speak Spanish and I'm ashamed we don't ,
any advice from people recently applying and receiving residency would be appreciated ,
Thanks Tom

Last edited by donein; May 3rd 2019 at 2:22 pm.
Old May 3rd 2019, 2:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for residency

Originally Posted by donein
Hello all , we have owned a Casa in the Tarragona region for 7 years. Registered at the town hall and have all bills in my name ( water electricity council tax ) I am retired and we do wish to spend over 3 months a year here .
so we need to apply for residency ?
make an appointment at the police station
Take evidence as above
Do I also need
private health insurance
Proof of over 6K euros in my Spanish bank
when we go do they have an interpreter ?
I know we should speak Spanish and I'm ashamed we don't ,
any advice from people recently applying and receiving residency would be appreciated ,
Thanks Tom

Are you a state pensioner? If so, then make sure you get an S1 form from DWP before applying. Some will say fon't bother registering but you really should.

Your state pension should be enough income but having money in the bank as well can only help.

No, in all likelihood they will not have interpreters there. Either get the help of a gestor or take an interpreter with you.
Old May 3rd 2019, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

donein is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Are you a state pensioner? If so, then make sure you get an S1 form from DWP before applying. Some will say fon't bother registering but you really should.

Your state pension should be enough income but having money in the bank as well can only help.

No, in all likelihood they will not have interpreters there. Either get the help of a gestor or take an interpreter with you.
Thank you for replying. No not a state pensioner yet ! At 63 I'm lucky to have retired from the fire service early so have pension from them will. Contact a Gestor I think
Old May 4th 2019, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Some will say fon't bother registering but you really shoud
But snikpoh, can a person legally be a Resident of two countries?

Or would that involve de-registering in spain then re-registering in the uk when they go back there? And then re-registering here again next time, all the time satisfying the requirements of residencia?
Old May 4th 2019, 1:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The rules for residency differ between countries, especially the UK. Also, it depends on what you mean by residency. There are really two types of residency situation. If you spend more than 90 days in Spain, you are legally obliged to register as a foreigner who wishes to spend more than 90 days in Spain. The normally accepted meaning of residency is that you are tax resident and pay taxes in Spain. The rules that determine tax residency is that if you spend over 183 days in one calendar year in Spain you are tax resident (there are also some other reasons why you may be deemed tax resident). This rule is not connected with the rules on registration for stays over 90 days, as that refers to the continuous periods whereas the tax rule is for non consecutive days.

So, you can be in a situation where you are tax resident in Spain, but not resident under the 90 day registration rules if you only ever spend no more than 89 consecutive days in Spain.

Are you confused yet? If not it gets worse. The UK rules on tax residency are entirely different and extremely complicated. It is possible to be considered tax resident after spending only 16 days in the UK. That's before we start talking about "ordinary" residence and "not ordinarily resident" and on top of that the UK has a thing called "domicile" which also affects your tax situation.

So, to answer your question, yes, it is possible to be (tax) resident in two countries. If that happens, you do not necessarily pay tax twice on the same income, but if you do, the amount paid in one country can usually be offset against the tax paid in the other country. Usually one of the two countries will be classed as your primary tax residency and there is another whole set of rules to determine which country has first pick of the tax due. Luckily HMRC in the UK has a tax treaty with Spain (and most other countries) that helps sort out exactly where your income is taxed.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Angus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fred, you say that the 90 day rule 'registering as a foreigner' process is not the same as the tax residency process but I have read in many places that once you have registered, which is effectively a residency application that is initially temporary but can then become permanent after 5 years, then by the mere fact that you have applied for residency you are required to stay for more than 183 days and become tax resident, unless you cancel that residency before you leave. I've seen this stated in quite a few places and it never made sense to me as it seems to exclude anyone, like me, who just wants to stay for between 90 and 180 days, as I don't really want to have to apply and cancel every year and pay gestors or solicitors great sums to help me do so.

So many people giving advice seem to have trouble being clear about these things but your answers give the impression that you are one of the few who knows what they are talking about so I'd really value any clarification you can bring to this murky soup of rules.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
The rules for residency differ between countries, especially the UK. Also, it depends on what you mean by residency. There are really two types of residency situation. If you spend more than 90 days in Spain, you are legally obliged to register as a foreigner who wishes to spend more than 90 days in Spain. The normally accepted meaning of residency is that you are tax resident and pay taxes in Spain. The rules that determine tax residency is that if you spend over 183 days in one calendar year in Spain you are tax resident (there are also some other reasons why you may be deemed tax resident). This rule is not connected with the rules on registration for stays over 90 days, as that refers to the continuous periods whereas the tax rule is for non consecutive days.

So, you can be in a situation where you are tax resident in Spain, but not resident under the 90 day registration rules if you only ever spend no more than 89 consecutive days in Spain.

Are you confused yet? If not it gets worse. The UK rules on tax residency are entirely different and extremely complicated. It is possible to be considered tax resident after spending only 16 days in the UK. That's before we start talking about "ordinary" residence and "not ordinarily resident" and on top of that the UK has a thing called "domicile" which also affects your tax situation.

So, to answer your question, yes, it is possible to be (tax) resident in two countries. If that happens, you do not necessarily pay tax twice on the same income, but if you do, the amount paid in one country can usually be offset against the tax paid in the other country. Usually one of the two countries will be classed as your primary tax residency and there is another whole set of rules to determine which country has first pick of the tax due. Luckily HMRC in the UK has a tax treaty with Spain (and most other countries) that helps sort out exactly where your income is taxed.
Fred, if someone were to spend 88 consecutive days in Spain then visit Portugal, France or Gibraltar for a couple of days then return to Spain would the 90 day clock reset to zero?
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Angus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope he says yes because I have just arranged a week in Portugal to reset the 90 days that I don't really want as it is money I really don't want to spend!
Old Nov 11th 2019, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m2m2012
Fred, if someone were to spend 88 consecutive days in Spain then visit Portugal, France or Gibraltar for a couple of days then return to Spain would the 90 day clock reset to zero?
No because he has not left the Schengen border. Gribralter would work though.
Old Nov 11th 2019, 9:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, yes it would work because no one could care less. Under the Schengen Area rules that would apply after Brexit, it would not work as you are only allowed 90 days in the Schengen Area in 180 days, and passports would be stamped on entry and exit.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Why don’t you go to your local Ayuntamiento and get the exact local requirements specific to your pueblo, because it varies massively from one to another.

7 years and not one word, my oh my 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hopefully your private health insurance has repatriation on death 👍🏼
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:41 am

Residency is dealt with by the Policia Nacional. It has nothing to do with the town hall. The only time they do anything related to residency is signing you on to the Padron.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you can go online when booking an appointment for your chosen area, and it will tell you all the requirements needed.I would say take an interpreter with you to if your spanish is not good enough.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Angus1
Fred, you say that the 90 day rule 'registering as a foreigner' process is not the same as the tax residency process but I have read in many places that once you have registered, which is effectively a residency application that is initially temporary but can then become permanent after 5 years, then by the mere fact that you have applied for residency you are required to stay for more than 183 days and become tax resident, unless you cancel that residency before you leave. I've seen this stated in quite a few places and it never made sense to me as it seems to exclude anyone, like me, who just wants to stay for between 90 and 180 days, as I don't really want to have to apply and cancel every year and pay gestors or solicitors great sums to help me do so.

So many people giving advice seem to have trouble being clear about these things but your answers give the impression that you are one of the few who knows what they are talking about so I'd really value any clarification you can bring to this murky soup of rules.
Signing onto the register of foreigners is required if you wish to stay for more than 90 days. It "usually" signifies that you intend to stay much longer and if you do, then, ultimately you would become tax resident. All it does is give you the right to stay for more than 90 days. You retain that right unless you spend over 6 months out of Spain. So, you can see that it is possible to be registered, but never exceed the 183 day rule for tax residency.

OK, that's a bit unlikely but it is possible, that's why you do not automatically become tax resident by registering. That said, it is easy for the tax office to check whether long term registered foreigners have paid any tax and if not, they will be in touch to ask why. This is happening at the moment.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Residency is dealt with by the Policia Nacional. It has nothing to do with the town hall. The only time they do anything related to residency is signing you on to the Padron.

Hi Fred! The Ayuntamiwnto in San Javier gave us a requirement sheet for the application of our residencies direct from the oficina de extranjeros in Murcia.

you can find this Information on their cita previa site that links to your policía👍🏼

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.