Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for residencia.

Applying for residencia.

Old Oct 5th 2018, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for residencia.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Comments in line
I am really looking forward to the reply. I have never seen such dubious guidelines.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

TeamSpirit is an unknown quantity at this point

Snikpoh, I think your response makes it all the more evident for the OP, and any other poor people trying to understand what to do, just how difficult it is to know exactly which procedure to follow as they differ so much from one area to another.

I have in your opinion evidently wasted my time trying to recount my experience, which is all I can offer as I'm not a professional in any of the fields involved, something I believe forum members generally are not - otherwise we'd not be here!!

The discrepancies from one area to another are also an important reason leading me to strongly recommended the OP to get proper professional help locally.

I asked the OP to check himself what the Govt website says as I haven't time to read it and although I haven't the time to counter all your comments either, I can say that mine is a true account of my experience, and the fact that it is done differently where you live doesn't make my experience (Seville) untrue. I'm still a spring chicken and far from losing my faculties.

There most certainly is such a thing as a tourist version of NIE, exactly as I explained it, and which was my valid status for several years. The number stays the same, but not the status. I did have to show my EHIC card to get it, etc, etc.

You are however correct that I referred to a NIE card when the ID-card is actually called a "tarjeta de residencia", whilst you only receive a stamped paper from the Extranjería police if you apply for a NIE as a tourist first. Most Spanish people ask me in Spanish for my "tarjeta de NIE" because they call their own ID "tarjeta DNI", so I've been used to thinking of it in this way, hence the wrong description.

Last edited by TeamSpirit; Oct 5th 2018 at 3:04 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that people are talking about things that were never originally written or conceived in English. What is a tourist NIE for instance?The official forms and papers for all these things are in spanish. The people in these offices work in Spanish and refer to Spanish documents and procedures. Every time someone tries to translate something a little bit is lost hence all the perceived misunderstandings and differences. If you don't speak Spanish just go to an assessor or lawyer who does and let them arrange everything for you.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

This is so true, I couldn't figure out what people were writing about or how to apply things when I first arrived because of the "implicit but unspoken" within these forums, as I now realise, meaning all the bits and pieces of knowledge and experience already gathered whilst living here, and which are no longer perceived as needing explicit explanation. But a complete newcomer isn't able to automatically piece those jigsaw pieces together. I'm afraid the Spanish philosopher Ortega y Gasset seems to have a point after all with his idea that verbal exchanges cause more confusion!
Okay, have to get hubby's tea now or Ortega y Gasset is going to be right again.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamSpirit
This is so true, I couldn't figure out what people were writing about or how to apply things when I first arrived because of the "implicit but unspoken" within these forums, as I now realise, meaning all the bits and pieces of knowledge and experience already gathered whilst living here, and which are no longer perceived as needing explicit explanation. But a complete newcomer isn't able to automatically piece those jigsaw pieces together. I'm afraid the Spanish philosopher Ortega y Gasset seems to have a point after all with his idea that verbal exchanges cause more confusion!
Okay, have to get hubby's tea now or Ortega y Gasset is going to be right again.
An additional point to understand is that the law in this area is constantly evolving so any advice from more than 5yrs ago has to be treated with great caution. Added to that is the fact that the further fro Madrid and the more remote the area the chances are that the local functionary will be apply outdated rules with their personal twist. This is why great arguments arise exactly what the requirements are for medical care for instance.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Hello EsuriJohn, I see you have a symbol like the NO-DO of Seville - is that a coincidence? I think you have a very valid point about the rapidly changing laws too, and actually probably valid for most areas of life where you might have to do with your local town hall or other such places. Talk about a personal twist: I remember our astonishment when we went to ask the local "arquitecto técnico" of a certain village to explain to us how to understand building permission in practise in the surrounding countryside. He then proceeded to tell us, as cool as a cucumber, exactly how to buy a local plot and build illegally in such a way that he would then certify it as legal after 5 years. We could see he really meant well, but we just couldn't conceive taking that route!
Old Oct 5th 2018, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

NO-DO or No-ma-ha-DO the central symbol is a skein of wool. It was awarded to Sevilla by King Alphonso for the city standing by him. It or she did not let me down.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Teamspirit, the laws do not change regularly, in fact they change very infrequently and all the changes are amazingly well documented. Many of the laws are based on EU law and that changes even more slowly. What can change is the interpretation and implementation of them by the various functionaries who deal with them who have clearly not been properly trained about the changes.

The other major problem is that there are so many different versions on the Internet of what people think they are, often based on bar talk from uninformed people.

On this forum there are many experienced members who do have a good understanding of exactly what the laws are and hopefully jump on any comment or opinions that do not agree with reality. That way we can hopefully be the source of the best information as to really what the law is, but obviously taking into account the experiences of other members who have been though (an often ) conflicting process.

Old Oct 5th 2018, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

EsuriJohn, that's very interesting, I'll read up on it, thank you.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

I stand corrected then, Fred. I based my comment upon information I have read which stated that a lot of reforms, especially regarding tax/financial issues, make it very difficult to keep up as a lay person, but it seems that I have naively followed the advice of a dodgy website.
I'm sure it can't be easy trying to monitor forum content regarding a place where laws are so freely interpreted as is the case here in Spain.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 7:04 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The tax rules do change frequently, as they do in most countries. The same applies to other financial rules such as IVA, fuel taxes etc. That is because these are not generally covered by EU laws and are decided (within limits) by individual member states. Things like residency rules are governed by EU directives. The current residency law was issued in 2007 and there has been one minor update since.
Old Oct 9th 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good useful information here ¡Residencia! All your questions answered | Healthcare in Spain