Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Applying for residencia.

Applying for residencia.

Old Sep 25th 2018, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for residencia.

My wife and I are in the process of buying a property in Valencia. We are hoping to take possession in October and will be visiting for a week in November in order to pick up the keys, visit the Notaire to sign contracts and to pick up our bank cards.
We will also be staying over at Christmas before moving in permanently in March 2019.
Our question is how soon can we apply for residencia and do we need proof of income and medical insurance before we can apply?

regards
Old Sep 25th 2018, 8:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for residencia.

You can apply to sign on the register of EU foreigners as soon as you arrive. Yes, you will have to prove adequate income and health cover.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Monkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond reputeMonkey104 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You can apply to sign on the register of EU foreigners as soon as you arrive. Yes, you will have to prove adequate income and health cover.

Thanks Fred,

As we won’t be living in the property full time til March I am assuming that I will have to pay for medical insurance that I won’t be using as it is the only way we will get Residencia.

regards

andy
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't be applying for residencia until you are living there. You can't have residencia but not actually live there. So you shouldn't be trying to get residencia in October if you wont be living there until March. It is a bit like asking for residencia when you are holiday because you intend to live there one day! Also this will impact on tax etc. When do you intend to tell the UK gov you left? It all gets complicated. Why the rush?
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
You shouldn't be applying for residencia until you are living there. You can't have residencia but not actually live there. So you shouldn't be trying to get residencia in October if you wont be living there until March. It is a bit like asking for residencia when you are holiday because you intend to live there one day! Also this will impact on tax etc. When do you intend to tell the UK gov you left? It all gets complicated. Why the rush?

Don't forget that you can be resident but not tax resident. Just don't stay more than 183 days in a calendar year.

So for the OP, tax is not an issue!

However, you can only register as resident where you live (reside) and if that is the UK until March, then you really are jumping the gun a little.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is not "residencia" - it is only the right to stay for more than 90 days. You could be resident in the UK and want to stay in Spain for 100 days - in which case you would have to sign on. If you wish to sign on the register because it is your intention to reside you can. Also it has nothing to do with tax as that is dealt with separately. You can be on the register and not be tax resident.

However, I agree with you that it is rather pointless going to all the expense etc if you are not going to officially need to until March.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 26th 2018 at 6:56 am.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the OPs reasoning, Brexit better to be resident pre 29 March as if there is a deal of some sort done you are entitled to rights agreed last December. Yes there is talk of the freedom of movement continuing in transition but will that include all the agreed rights? If you miss that date and they are not covered it may well simply be tough luck. So being prepared and now is to me a good idea. I agree with Fred if your intention is to reside for over 90 days then you can get residencia on arrival.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies.
I did just want to get the ball rolling prior to our move in March but if I am not able to then so be it.
I am one for planning in advance. As a General once told me “ Time spent on reconnaissance is time seldom wasted”
We intend visiting the property 3 or 4 times before March in order to have things prepared.
We visited the area a few times prior to putting in an offer.
Residencia was just one of those things that I was making enquiries into.

Regards

Old Sep 27th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

ValTay0607 is an unknown quantity at this point

If one intends to reside 183 days spread over a 12 month period does one have to register? Anyone know?
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:52 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValTay0607
If one intends to reside 183 days spread over a 12 month period does one have to register? Anyone know?
The 183 days are per calendar year.

Once tax resident, it is my understanding that you are also a 'domicile' resident and so should register as such.

You can be resident but not tax resident but once tax resident, you are automatically resident (ISTR)
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValTay0607
The 183 days is fiscal residency which once you excede 183 in 12 month period 1 Jan to 31 August then you would be liable to pay Spanish income tax. That is whether you have obtained the green residencia (signed on foreigners register or not). I you spend up to 182 days per year and no one stay is over 90 days then you need currently to do nothing neither will you be tax (fiscal resident).
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

ValTay0607 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply guys, Best,
Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry just realised error that is 183 days 1 Jan to 31 Dec
Old Oct 4th 2018, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

TeamSpirit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monkey104

Our question is how soon can we apply for residencia and do we need proof of income and medical insurance before we can apply?

Hello, I do wonder who is dealing with registering you for your NIE numbers so that you can even buy the property? I hope you are in good hands? I know it is confusing at first, I was very confused myself. It seems to be a thing here in Spain though, as if a clear explanation of procedures were forbidden!
You need to apply for a NIE number before you can become the legal owner of a property in Spain. You need this number for all manner of official things: bank, health, car, property, etc. This is the very first thing to do.
If you haven't already done this: if you want to be registered in advance you can look online, the Spanish government website allows you to apply for NIE online. I'm not sure if I am allowed to paste a link, but just google "apply NIE online", they have all the info and forms to download in English on their website. Please note that getting a NIE number is not the same as being a resident. Residency is a separate issue and there is no legal requirement for you to become a resident at this point.
Personally (I speak v.g. Spanish however), once we were in Spain, we just went to the special Police dept.to register, called the Extranjería. The local village/town police will be able to tell you where you would need to go for your area. The Extranjería give you a simple form (in Spanish) which you fill out and towards the bottom there's a place to cross "Tourist" NOT resident - that way you will receive a NIE number within a week, which you need for opening a bank account, renting/buying a property, etc., but you are not subject to taxation, so you are officially registered and recognised by the state, but you are not tax-registered. I don't know if the online version offers this alternative. I imagine so, as people sometimes just need a NIE number to buy a property although they live in another country. I seem to recall reading that the Govt has just made changes to make this process easier.
If I remember correctly, to apply for a tourist NIE you just need a passport and a local address and a EHIC card. We had rented a house for 6 months and provided a copy of the contract. Have a look what the Govt. website says they require for a Tourist NIE, not residency.
Regarding healthcare: as long as you are registered as a tourist, your UK version of the EHIC card (don't know how it's done in the UK these days) is your proof of health care. If you were to need health care, you show the doctor/hospital this card. Some things you still may have to pay for though, like X-rays. However, it's usually not too expensive. Dental procedures are not covered, you have to pay that yourself, even when you do have Spanish health care. I think you are then just covered for a basic check-up.
We stayed registered as tourists for several years, coming and going until we came to live here permanently, and then we just went to the Extranjería again and said we're here for good now. This means you are going to spend more than 183 days in the country. This is when they then want to see that you have enough income, a rental contract, etc. as the address you give becomes your fiscal address. It is VERY important to make sure post can get to that address or you should have post from Hacienda (tax office) redirected to a gestor (a kind of accountant) so you don't miss out on payment demands and end up paying fines! They know about this.
The base level income requirement per person is the minimum income p.a. as stipulated by the Spanish government and is published in the internet, or a gestor will be able to tell you what the present figure is. I seem to remember it was under 10K p/p and p/a, but it may have changed, so do get someone to help you!
Once you are a resident, then you go with your NIE to the local town hall to register for "empadronamiento", which is a local register and means the town will receive more money to provide you with services like street lights, rubbish removal, etc., and you get free library access.
With your NIE card, contract, proof of empadronamiento, you then go to the local "Centro de Salud", which is your town's equivalent of your local GP (kind of!). They will register you and give you a Social Security type number which means you are entitled to Spanish health care. You then go to that Centro de Salud if you are ill.

My tip: if you do decide to do everything yourself, make copious amounts of photocopies as everyone seems to want copies. I must also say that in my experience, your luck, and "the rules", are very dependent upon who you meet in these places.
Wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 5th 2018 at 8:14 am. Reason: correctyed quote
Old Oct 5th 2018, 9:24 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TeamSpirit
If you haven't already done this: if you want to be registered in advance you can look online, the Spanish government website allows you to apply for NIE online. You can only make an appointment online. You MUST get your NIE in person

If I remember correctly, to apply for a tourist NIE there is no such thing - it's just an NIE you just need a passport and a local address and a EHIC card this is NOT required for an NIE. We had rented a house for 6 months and provided a copy of the contract.

We stayed registered as tourists for several years, coming and going until we came to live here permanently, and then we just went to the Extranjería again and said we're here for good now. This means you are going to spend more than 183 days in the country this is for tax residency. If you are here for more than 90 days at one time (and intend staying longer) then you must sign on the list of foreigners aka become resident.

Once you are a resident, then you go with your NIE to the local town hall to register for "empadronamiento" in some areas you need padron first, which is a local register and means the town will receive more money to provide you with services like street lights, rubbish removal, etc., and you get free library access.

With your NIE card no such thing. You mean 'residency card, contract, proof of empadronamiento, you then go to the local "Centro de Salud", which is your town's equivalent of your local GP (kind of!). They will register you and give you a Social Security type number which means you are entitled to Spanish health care. You then go to that Centro de Salud if you are ill. This is not true. It's usually via the INSS (social security office) but many still require private health insurance or an S1
Comments in line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.