Reload this Page >

Anyone working in Cadiz?

Anyone working in Cadiz?

Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:22 pm
kah
Just Joined

kah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone working in Cadiz?

I am considering moving to Cadiz (city not province) at some point in the future and wondered how realistic this might be. I have intermediate Spanish and am a qualified English teacher (degree, PGCE but no TEFL qualification) Would love to hear of anyone's experiences living in this area. Thankks in advance for any advice. K
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone working in Cadiz?

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:27 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Really it is the same answer as anywhere else in Spain - if you don´t have a job to come to then you will struggle. I don´t know too much about qualifications but a friend of mine has qualified as a TEFL teacher and can´t find work.

Sorry to be negative but PLEASE read all the other threads on moving to Spain

Davexf
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kah
I am considering moving to Cadiz (city not province) at some point in the future and wondered how realistic this might be. I have intermediate Spanish and am a qualified English teacher (degree, PGCE but no TEFL qualification) Would love to hear of anyone's experiences living in this area. Thankks in advance for any advice. K
The Spanish education authorities are having a big bilingual drive at the moment where they recruit English teachers from the UK to teach certain subjects in English in state schools.

Certain provinces participate more than others. Have a look online on Google in English and Spanish and find the details. I dont know if they recruit teachers directly or borrow/exchange them for a year from UK schools
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kah
as a qualified English teacher (I don't think the tefl would make any difference) you might be interested in this British council scheme to help schools in Spain become bilingual http://www.britishcouncil.org/spain-...chools-project
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:32 pm
kah
Just Joined

I will certainly look into that (teaching in state schools.) Thank you very much for the link, Lynnxa....And I certainly don't mind 'negative' comments, Dave. I am doing as much research as I can - and continuing to improve my Spanish. Considering coming over for a 3 month Spanish course which will also give me a more realistic idea of living there as opposed to 2 week holidays. K
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here

http://www.elcentroingles.es

and I've no idea how far you'd be prepared to travel but there's also an International school in Sotogrande.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kah
Hi Kah

I am living and working in Jerez. I am working as a TEFL teacher and I have more work than I can cope with. I don't think TEFL qualification is necessary if you are a qualified English teacher. Schools, colleges are recruiting now, timing is very important as most don't tend to recruit after September. either come now or start looking June/July next year.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

There's a brief article here about someone setting up in Cádiz (page 18), not exactly what you want but might be interesting. In fact the whole publication is interesting if that area is the one you are moving to. It's a year or two out of date mind.
http://issuu.com/zaulcalo/docs/laluz-21
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:15 am
kah
Just Joined

What a great site! Thank you everyone for the comments and links. Agnes, that's promising news. Can't do anything now due to commitments here but will be in Cadiz early next Summer so shall see what I can find. How long have you been in Jerez? K
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kah
What a great site! Thank you everyone for the comments and links. Agnes, that's promising news. Can't do anything now due to commitments here but will be in Cadiz early next Summer so shall see what I can find. How long have you been in Jerez? K
Hi Kah I've been teaching in Jerez for 4 years.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

cafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant future

Hi,

My daughter & her husband just moved to the city of Cadiz this month to teach English! She was already qualified to teach English as a foreign language and her husband was a qualified secondary teacher. However he is now in the middle of a 5 week course which will give him the same qualification as my daughter. Then they both already have jobs with one of the very many language schools in Cadiz. They will be teaching both children and adults.

Do a search for language schools like International House, which as the name implies is an International company. I can't remember the name of the course they have/are doing but I can find out more info if you want?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:24 pm
kah
Just Joined

cafeconleche, if you could find out the name/place re: the course that would be great. I would love to know how they get on. Many thanks for your reply. Kx
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kah
cafeconleche, if you could find out the name/place re: the course that would be great. I would love to know how they get on. Many thanks for your reply. Kx
Hi Kah
I would guess that they are training at Active Language in Cadiz, which is the only training centre here in Cadiz. To be honest if you are a qualified English Tecaher do you really need a TEFL qualification. 70 % of the English Teachers that I know here in Cadiz do not have the TEFL certificate but are qualified English Teachers, and easily get work. Any questions PM me
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

cafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant futurecafeconleche has a brilliant future

Hi Kah,

The course they are doing/ have done is the Trinity Tefl. A Tefl as you probably know is just a generic name for teaching English as a foreign language and the courses vary widely. My daughter did her's at The International House in Newcastle. She suggests that either the Trinity or the Cambridge are the very best and with one of those you can look for work anywhere in the world. Some of the others are pretty hopeless.

In terms of where they are I need to check as she is doing some temp work at one school during Aug and then they are working at another from Sept. I've seen it, it's right in the old city one minute walk from where they are living but I can't remember the name!

There's also an International House in Cadiz but it's not that one. They had interviews at 3 or 4 Language schools in total some of which were in the suburbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.