Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone watching Astra 2D in Granada?

Anyone watching Astra 2D in Granada?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Kimgr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone watching Astra 2D in Granada?

Hello every one!.

I would like to have all the free British channels that you can see in Astra 2D Satelite. I need that because my partner is British and doesn´t speak too much Spanish for the moment.

I know I should use a big satelite dish here (about 1,8m diameter).
So I would like to know if some one it´s using a satelite dish in Granada or closed to Granada because that has a big influence in the kind of components we have to use.

Thank you.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone watching Astra 2D in Granada?

It's fine on the Granada coast with a 1.3m dish.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Fred. Wich village are you using this satelite dish?

But I´d like some one who is living in Granada capital or not farther than 20 kms from Granada, because sometimes just to change the position 60 kms could change the admisible reception. A dish 1,80m cost more than 400 €, but knowing you use just 1,30m in the cost maybe with 1,5m I could have a good signal of Astra 2D.

Anyway thank you very much.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Sorry, I forgot to ask you about the kind of LBN are you using and the satelite box.

Thank you again.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Not really tech minded but we live in the Altiplano region of Granada near a village called Castilléjar, about 26km north of Baza. We have a 1.8 or 1.9 dish and receive all the BBC & ITV channels, Channel 4 & 5 and all others that you can get via freeview on Sky. We do have a Sky box but the only Sky channels we get are Sky News and Sky 1 as we do not subscribe. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Should have added that we had it installed by a company (English) who were based in Albox. They did chage us an extra 20 euros for coming out so far.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

We are near Almunecar.

We use the latest Thompson Sky box (which is not the best for reception).

The reception is worse as you go north but you are only 50 miles away so I would be surprised if you needed more than 1.3m.

Give Ben Parker a call on 95861 0527. They are based in Salobrena and do Sky installations in Granada.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
We are near Almunecar.

We use the latest Thompson Sky box (which is not the best for reception).
Ahhhh interesting .... I was about to buy a new SKY HD box on ebay, Thomson. But Sat & PC Guy said there have been a few problems and I should wait to see what the new PACE one is like
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone watching Astra 2D in Granada?

Originally Posted by Kimgr
Thank you Fred. Wich village are you using this satelite dish?

But I´d like some one who is living in Granada capital or not farther than 20 kms from Granada, because sometimes just to change the position 60 kms could change the admisible reception. A dish 1,80m cost more than 400 €, but knowing you use just 1,30m in the cost maybe with 1,5m I could have a good signal of Astra 2D.

Anyway thank you very much.
Have a look at this web page

http://www.geocities.com/alpmaps/iberia.htm
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Have a look at this web page

http://www.geocities.com/alpmaps/iberia.htm

Unfortunately that info is completely incorrect.

According to that on the Granada coast you need over 1.8m which is rubbish - 1.3m is more than adequate.

Those coverage maps are theoretical and do not take into account the reality of the situation.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

According to that on the Granada coast you need over 1.8m which is rubbish - 1.3m is more than adequate.

Those coverage maps are theoretical and do not take into account the reality of the situation.
We use a 1.3 also and is fine where we are.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone watching Astra 2D in Granada?

Agreed a tall building or hill or tree can make a big difference to degrade the signal and local reflections can improve it but you have to start somewhere. My guess would be that a local trusty installer who has done a lot will know best for each street.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Yes, this is the map I checked for the footprint of Astra 2D and it supousse we have to use 1.8m. But I think the best solution could be to phone the Sky installer near here and to ask to put the parabolic systmen at home, this way I will be sure he´s going to do a good job. I know how to install a parabolic dish and how to put in the right direction with a finder satelite I have, this way it could be cheaper for me, but I think it´s better to have a professional installer and I won´t have any risk if the parabolic dish I buy it´s the correct one for my building and my city. Anyway, maybe to put 1.5 could be a right solution for have a good reception. I don´t want bad receptions when the weather is not very good.(no very often here, but some times in the winter.)

If someone knows a Sky installer near here It could be great to know, if not I could phone the one Fred told me.

Thank you everybody for your answers and sorry about my English that obviuosly it´s not perfect.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Diana37 is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve found another web site from Malaga of Sky installer who say:

-"What are the minimum dish requirements for southern Spain?
The minimum size for reception in southern Spain is 1.3 to 1.5 metres with a low noise block (lnb) figure of about 0.3 db. Invacom lnbs are the best for fringe areas such as Spain.
The size of dish required depends on where you are, please tell us your exact location and we can calculate the optimum dish size for crystal clear reception. The quality of reception also depends on how well the dish is fitted, we will not fit a dish that is not secure and permanent."-

http://www.skysthelimit.tv/faq.php

I thiknk It could be useful as well for people around Malaga and they work in a lot of diferents areas.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Diana37 is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot! I am using 1.3m in Benalmadena and it´s OK.