Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

long term rental in spain

long term rental in spain

Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

damian harris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default long term rental in spain

Hi new to site and hoping for a little help.
I have been looking a property in spain to rent long term for me,wife and the two kids.What is the longest you can rent for before having to get citizenship.
Was planning on a 6 month rent then look for work then coming back to england until i find empoyment in spain then moving over for good.

Need some info so i get thing on the move . thank's
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: long term rental in spain

Originally Posted by damian harris
Hi new to site and hoping for a little help.
I have been looking a property in spain to rent long term for me,wife and the two kids.What is the longest you can rent for before having to get citizenship.
Was planning on a 6 month rent then look for work then coming back to england until i find empoyment in spain then moving over for good.

Need some info so i get thing on the move . thank's

You dont have to get citizenship, indeed thats a very long term thing.

You need to register as a resident though if you move here ..... I can't quite understand what you mean about looing for employment in Spain when you go back to the UK ..... you're more likely to find employment when you are here
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Sorry i meant to say that i would find employment then come home to sort out moving items over.

so how long can i rent
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry i meant to say that i would find employment then come home to sort out moving items over.

so how long can i rent
Well there is nothing to stop you renting for as long as you want, BUT to keep with Spanish law you should register as a resident within 30 days. Also if you have a UK registered car you will have to re register that in 60 days. Tax residency issues accrue after six months.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

what happens when you registering as a resident.Do i need to do this just renting or when i find work.
I told that you could only rent for 6 month out of 12

Sorry needing a answer to small thing's but every little helps
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:23 pm
Senior Moment

what happens when you registering as a resident.Do i need to do this just renting or when i find work.

You need to register as a resident when you come here with the intention to live here ... there are plenty of people here who dont work but are still registered. No, there was a lot of stuff about only being able to rent on an 11 month contract, renewable, but I think I read somewhere the law has superceded that

Becoming a resident is as simple as going to the Police station / offices, filling in a form, and paying just under €7
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: long term rental in spain

To rent you would be advised to get your NIE and Residencia Certificate at the same time. Check out the Free Beer thread most questions are answered there in some detail.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
To rent you would be advised to get your NIE and Residencia Certificate at the same time. Check out the Free Beer thread most questions are answered there in some detail.
As a matter of interest on the rental side.
Unless the rental agreement says short term or holiday rental, the rental can be renewed for up to five years by the tenant as long as payments have been made on time etc.
The only way out of it for the owner is if he needs to use it for himself within that time.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

So how easy or how hard is it to move and get resident's over in spain.
I have a weekly income which can be used of around £600pm and around £30.000 savings.And hopefully i can get work.

I would rather hear it from people who have done it
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:10 pm
Senior Moment

I have a weekly income which can be used of around £600pm and around £30.000 savings.And hopefully i can get work.

As I mentioned earlier, you simply go to the Police station, fill in a forum, take passport and NIE, and you will be issued with a residency certificate after having paid the small fee
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Its as easy as moving from one part of the UK to another.
As has been said already you can rent for as long as you want.
Out of curiosity is it ACTUALLY Citizenship you want,or did you just mean Residency?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:08 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

There are many people out here for 10 years or more and still not resident.
Your supposed to do a lot of things in Spain and so too are the authorities but in reality it dont happen, believe me.

Most people who do long term rentals do so for a maximum contract of 11 months, any longer conferes rights on the tenant and that brings problems for the landlord.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Its not actually necc to register as a resident anymore it will be done automatically after I believe 3mths (poss 6 mths) of tax's
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
Its not actually necc to register as a resident anymore it will be done automatically after I believe 3mths (poss 6 mths) of tax's
You do, it`s all in the free beer thread.
Attached Thumbnails long term rental in spain-reg.jpg  
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lcortez

Its as easy as moving from one part of the UK to another.
As has been said already you can rent for as long as you want.
Out of curiosity is it ACTUALLY Citizenship you want,or did you just mean Residency?
sorry i meant residency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.