Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anyone used Do You Spain car hire?

Anyone used Do You Spain car hire?

Old May 5th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone used Do You Spain car hire?

Hi

I am about to book car hire in Mallorca and before I went ahead wanted to know if any of you had used Do You Spain for car hire before?

Bit wary of booking with companies I have never heard of.

Cheers
Old May 5th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone used Do You Spain car hire?

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
Hi

I am about to book car hire in Mallorca and before I went ahead wanted to know if any of you had used Do You Spain for car hire before?

Bit wary of booking with companies I have never heard of.

Cheers
I have used them 3 times - excellent
Old May 5th 2009, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used them a few imes at Malaga without any problems.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers , that is fab, they are really competitve too so I am now off to book
Old May 5th 2009, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Mr Micawber is an unknown quantity at this point

i have used them half a dozen times at malaga.
There,they use Record car rentals.
I always get competitive quotes and doyouspain is always the cheapest,even cheaper than Record.
Use them with confidence
Old May 5th 2009, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Mr Micawber is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing i would say,and it applies to all rental companies,is that they will try and sell you extra insurance that isn't compulsory,like windscreen and tyre damage.
i've never taken it,but you'll have to use your own judgement.
At Malaga all body damage is covered so you don't have to worry about reporting the odd dent before you take the car.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr Micawber
One thing i would say,and it applies to all rental companies,is that they will try and sell you extra insurance that isn't compulsory,like windscreen and tyre damage.
i've never taken it,but you'll have to use your own judgement.
At Malaga all body damage is covered so you don't have to worry about reporting the odd dent before you take the car.
We have used Do You Spain, and consequently Record, three times this year for short visits of between 4-7 days.
The first two times were excellent, we got the small Renault Clio type-hire car we had ordered, knowing that we would have to return it empty for stays of 4 days or more ...
But last time, for our 4-day hire, Record apparently had nothing smaller to rent us than a Berlingo Van, which actually represents an upgrade, so they stung us for a whopping 60 litres of diesel (as opposed to 30 or so in a Clio), of which we only managed to use half! So they made a tidy profit of 30 euros immediately on our rental! We know it is standard practice to expect you to return cars empty unless your booking is for three nights or less, but what we objected to, was that we only needed a small car, just the two of us, with hand-baggage only! To see the price quoted go up from 48 euros to 122.70 euros was a little irritating to say the least ... we expected to pay about 80 euros on arrival!
Having said all that, the weather was far too nice to drive around just to use up fuel
Old May 6th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Micawber
i have used them half a dozen times at malaga.
There,they use Record car rentals.
I always get competitive quotes and doyouspain is always the cheapest,even cheaper than Record.
Use them with confidence

We used DoYouSpain quite a few time when we were making regular visits to our home and as already mentioned they were always a good price, and we never had any problems with the rental.

As mentioned they use Record in malaga who until quite recently didn't operate the full tank scam, however this has changed.

Word of warning with Record though is that not once did the car they gave us have the legally required safety equipment, i.e jackets and triangles on board.
Old May 6th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Cheers again everyone. We always find Record good to that is fine and we hope to get a Berlingo noelrosie as we need to ground clearence for a dirt track - i can see how you were annoyed though. Not sure they could give us a bigger vehicle unless it was a minibus

Will check there is a jack in the car this time as last time we used them we got a flat tyre only to find no jack to change it! Luckily we were within walking distance (even if it was over 2 miles) from home so managed to get one from there and then change the tyre. Wasn't too happy that we had to sit in th sweltering heat though (with 3 young kiddies) and wait for poor hubby to walk all that way and then bike back with a jack. Mind you when we got the the beach I soon forgot all about it :-)

Thanks a lot for all your responses.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bob_day
We used DoYouSpain quite a few time when we were making regular visits to our home and as already mentioned they were always a good price, and we never had any problems with the rental.

As mentioned they use Record in malaga who until quite recently didn't operate the full tank scam, however this has changed.

Word of warning with Record though is that not once did the car they gave us have the legally required safety equipment, i.e jackets and triangles on board.
I queried the legally required safety equipment with Record, and apparently they are NEVER included in the hire. It is the responsibility of the driver (in law) to carry them (or so I was told). I also queried this with Auriga Goldcar on another occasion, who said the same thing, but also said they could 'rent' me a pack of vests and warning triangles for 30e deposit. We now have our own out there to use during our stay, and reluctantly take the risk of getting stopped on the trip to and from the airport!
Old May 6th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I queried the legally required safety equipment with Record, and apparently they are NEVER included in the hire. It is the responsibility of the driver (in law) to carry them (or so I was told). I also queried this with Auriga Goldcar on another occasion, who said the same thing, but also said they could 'rent' me a pack of vests and warning triangles for 30e deposit. We now have our own out there to use during our stay, and reluctantly take the risk of getting stopped on the trip to and from the airport!
The couple of times that we used Auriga, or maybe it was Centauro, whom we used until they moved off airport as they never seemed to have the queues that Auriga had jackets etc were in the car. In the end we did exactly the same as you and took the chance on the way from/too. Now we live here, well in 24 days (and counting down) time we will so it is no longer an issue.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

The couple of times that we used Auriga, or maybe it was Centauro, whom we used until they moved off airport as they never seemed to have the queues that Auriga had jackets etc were in the car. In the end we did exactly the same as you and took the chance on the way from/too. Now we live here, well in 24 days (and counting down) time we will so it is no longer an issue.
I was recommended to use Centauro in future by another ex-pat I met at Alicante airport! They (allegedly) don't have the same refuelling policies which will probably suit us better!
Off airport hire is a bit of a drag though ... Auriga are now off-airport in Valencia
I believe they started to charge/take deposit for safety jackets etc as they they 'kept going missing' ... surprise, surprise!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
This goes to show that cheap is not always good, sometimes it`s better to pay a bit more and get met with the keys to a legal on the road car with all the required driving kit, kids seats etc, no queueing and bring back same amount of fuel.
When her indoors gets home I will check on the supplying of a car that is not kitted out to be driven legally.
Old May 6th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Centauro actually moved between us booking and arriving at the airport. despite being a member of their regular renters club they didn't bother to inform us. We arrived at Malaga with suitcases packed to 30Kg each, struggled down the the hire desk and they were boarded up. No information as to where to get the car from. Needless to say that was the last time we used Cantauro.

While we were regular visitors we took out an independent rental car insurance policy which covered all of the items that the rental company's own exhorbitant insurance covers. It cost around £50 per year with unlimited rentals. From memory Centauro's insurance for the only 2 week trip we made was around 50 euros. This policy saved us a whole bunch of money over the course of a year. We used insurance4carhire but I expect there are others offering similar policys.