Any Negative Things

Any Negative Things

Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Bopsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Negative Things

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
Thats what our friends say, they have said the spanish do speak English but like to see you try and speak to them in spanish, my friends kids are all fluent and when we visit i do always take them to the shops with me to get them to ask for things ha ha.

It is a case of just going with the flow, i do remember that they do have a much slower pace of life i can be behind someone in a shop and they have a 30 minute conversation before i get served but I'm prepared for that ha ha.

Thanks for all your help
Hi there. you say your friends are very happy where they are, where is that and is that where you intend to go. Are there many Enlgish speaking kids out there and have her kids fitted in well, if so what age were they when they went to Spain. Good luck with your move by the way, you have nothing to loose and I'm sure people will be envious of the fact that you are brave enough to make the move. Bopsy
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
Tim, I am afraid you have been ill advised.

You comment about 183 days applies to tax residency only.

The law did indeed change a couple of years ago to bring it in like with the EU directive which actually came into force in April this year.

Some people were excluded from the need to apply for residency. These are people working and paying Spanish social security, those in receipt of a Spanish state pension and registered students. For the rest of us there has been no change apart from a relaxation of the criteria at that time – no need for private health care or proof of income.

Unfortunately the rumour mills on the Internet have been working overtime on this issue for years now and most of the information is out of date or simply wrong. Even some lawyers seem unaware of the law – a not uncommon situation with Spanish lawyers!

If you want some accurate information then I suggest you have a look at some of the relevant government or EU websites which will confirm what I am saying.

The UK Embassy is information here

http://www.ukinspain.com/english/Con...ons=30&lang=en

The relevant EU directive is here

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...en00350048.pdf

The relevant Spanish law is here

http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2003/02/2...7397-07402.pdf
Fred James is absolutely right. There is still a legal requirement to apply for residencia except under certain circumstances. The information laid out in the Ministry of the Interior web site may be a little more digestible than the BOE but it says the same thing.

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/derecho/rd/rd178-2003.html

See article 6 specifically or, failing that, just read the back of the residence permit application form.

Unfortunately people generally believe what they want to believe and many English web sites that profess to give information on living in Spain tend to be, at best, somewhat misleading and at worst dangerously inaccurate. One particular site run by a brain-dead ex-plod with a chip on his shoulder and a former NHS pen-pusher springs immediately to mind.

Contributors to fora such as this then come along and repeat what they have read on these sites with such authority that the original misinformation is compounded and, as in this particular case, because people want to believe that they no longer need to apply for residencia they take it as gospel which it very rarely is.

Many of these English language sites are operated by people who have a limited grasp of the language and even less understanding of the rules and regulations that they are quoting. By all means use these sites as a guide but for information from the horses mouth you need to go to the web site of the Spanish entity concerned.

Other good sources of information are the BOE, the BOP and the BOJA or its equivalent in other regions. By definition they are published in Spanish but if one does not have the capacity to be able to understand them one should perhaps question his/her authority for passing on information obtained from other sources which is very likely to be flawed.

Fred James is also spot on with his reference to lawyers who, if they were any good at their job, would be undertaking litigation and other proper legal work rather than jumping on the property conveyancing bandwagon and giving flawed advice to gullible foreigners and charging them a fortune for the privilege.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Fred James is absolutely right.
[snip]
Damn, Beachie; I can't give you anymore Karma. Seems like I keep agreeing with you. Nice post.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

A friend has just come over from Stanstead to Jerez and was talking to a woman on the plane who was staying with friends in Chiclana. she said they hadn´t settled, one of the reasons given was not able to get a take away until after nine p.m!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by glynis
A friend has just come over from Stanstead to Jerez and was talking to a woman on the plane who was staying with friends in Chiclana. she said they hadn´t settled, one of the reasons given was not able to get a take away until after nine p.m!
Hi,
Apparently they do eat late but then they do seem to have late late nights which is one of our reasons of going out there
Children are welcome in most places unlike here we have to be out at 9pm of any UK pub and one we went to the other day you was not allowed children in unless they were eating and this was on a Sundayafternoon which i was livid about.

I have heard from friends that the spanish are very friendly towards children and cater for children so fingers crossed.

I dont mind not getting a takeaway till nine thats what time we normally eat the kids eat a lot earlier but i wait till hubby gets home and we eat together which is nice.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 12:41 am
Banned

Bossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of lightBossman-kent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
Apparently they do eat late but then they do seem to have late late nights which is one of our reasons of going out there
Children are welcome in most places unlike here we have to be out at 9pm of any UK pub and one we went to the other day you was not allowed children in unless they were eating and this was on a Sundayafternoon which i was livid about.

I have heard from friends that the spanish are very friendly towards children and cater for children so fingers crossed.

I dont mind not getting a takeaway till nine thats what time we normally eat the kids eat a lot earlier but i wait till hubby gets home and we eat together which is nice.
Wonder what you dislike about the UK curious ? As i have my own reasons as to wanting to leave the UK , so fire away see if they match ? lol
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bossman-kent
Wonder what you dislike about the UK curious ? As i have my own reasons as to wanting to leave the UK , so fire away see if they match ? lol
HI,
There is lots of reasons why we want to leave the uk? thing is i would get stamped on by a lot of ppl if i bad mouthed the uk ha ha?
It's not that i hate the uk i must admit i do not like how it is turning out? However there is good and bad in every country? we want a slower place of life we really want more of an outdoor life, in the uk we cant have that really?

Also we want to get away from the nagging of family's, we realise it will be hard moving away however i just hope we do end up with a better quality of life financial we wont be as well of i think we will end up taking a hell of a cut of money, However we would rather take the chance and see what happens?
What dont you like about the uk?