Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any Negative Things

Any Negative Things

Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all
Default Any Negative Things

Hi,
We will be moving to spain very shortly, can anyone tell me any negatives regarding spain.

Everytime my husband and i go there to stay we have no negatives.

We have a place to live when we move and jobs, and i am aware that it is very different from just the usual holiday once living there.

But it would be appreciated if ppl can give me some of the negatives so i can prepare.

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Negative Things

Not being able to communicate properly with people (until I learn the language)
Higher tax

Thats all for me, although I know there are some here that will give you a huge long list and I'm sure I could add to it if I thought really carefully but the plusses outweigh the minuses!

The thing to remember is that you are in Spain. Its not Britain and things won't be the same. So theres no point comparing the two as some do
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not being able to communicate properly with people (until I learn the language)
Higher tax

Thats all for me, although I know there are some here that will give you a huge long list and I'm sure I could add to it if I thought really carefully but the plusses outweigh the minuses!

The thing to remember is that you are in Spain. Its not Britain and things won't be the same. So theres no point comparing the two as some do
Hi,
Thanks for the input? I have heard a lot of ppl slagging spain off, And there is a lot of my family members thinking my husband and i are being stupid and can not see why i want to move to spain.

However an opputunity has come and we are taking it with both hands and we will make it work as much as we can, if it lasts and ends up being us there forever then that to me would be a bonus.

I get a lot of ppl saying wont i miss my family, my reply is, it's a two hour flight it takes me longer than that to drive to my family as it is.

I think my family are just trying to make me feel a little guilty but guess what i dont really lol
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we've been through that. I point out I can be back here more quickly than if I went to visit my sister in Pembroke. That part doesn't worry me as I have budgeted for regular trips back.

Spain won't suit everyone, and I'm fairly certain a lot of people fail because of the "it wouldn't happen in England" syndrome.

You don't say if you are retireing or working. I certainly think that you have a much better chance if not working.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
Thanks for the input? I have heard a lot of ppl slagging spain off, And there is a lot of my family members thinking my husband and i are being stupid and can not see why i want to move to spain.

However an opputunity has come and we are taking it with both hands and we will make it work as much as we can, if it lasts and ends up being us there forever then that to me would be a bonus.

I get a lot of ppl saying wont i miss my family, my reply is, it's a two hour flight it takes me longer than that to drive to my family as it is.

I think my family are just trying to make me feel a little guilty but guess what i dont really lol
I would just focus on the positive things wherever you are there are negatives and the reason you are going is to improve your life. We are going when we sell up and some family encourage it and some you can tell think we are a bit mad. But I think it is a good job that not everyone thinks like us and wants to move to Spain or prices of houses would shoot up.

Helen
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

i cant be bothered to re-write it. things seem considerably better when i´m getting paid to work
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i cant be bothered to re-write it. things seem considerably better when i´m getting paid to work
Glad to hear that
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we've been through that. I point out I can be back here more quickly than if I went to visit my sister in Pembroke. That part doesn't worry me as I have budgeted for regular trips back.

Spain won't suit everyone, and I'm fairly certain a lot of people fail because of the "it wouldn't happen in England" syndrome.

You don't say if you are retireing or working. I certainly think that you have a much better chance if not working.
Hi,
We will be working, Thing is we understand we will take huge loss of earnings, my husband is self employed and on a very good wage however his hours are just mad, and to be fair the money in england is great but we dont have time to do anything together due to the work.

We both have very good friends out there who have been very successful and love it.

We will also budget for coming back every three months for a few days to our parents wanting to see there grandchildren.

My husband and i are both 31 and have just thought lets take the plunge if it does go pear shape, england will always be here. :scared:

But at the moment things are so exciting with the preparation of going.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You have a place to live and jobs , what more do you need apart from our sunshine and chill out lifestyle.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SiS

You haven't said where you are going in Spain or what you will be doing for work. It helps more to know so people can be more objective and may be able to offer more advice.

Hi,
We will be working, Thing is we understand we will take huge loss of earnings, my husband is self employed and on a very good wage however his hours are just mad, and to be fair the money in england is great but we dont have time to do anything together due to the work.

We both have very good friends out there who have been very successful and love it.

We will also budget for coming back every three months for a few days to our parents wanting to see there grandchildren.

My husband and i are both 31 and have just thought lets take the plunge if it does go pear shape, england will always be here. :scared:

But at the moment things are so exciting with the preparation of going.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:48 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Hi,

It's called jelousy.
The fact that they either do not have the balls to make a change of this scale or are miffed that you thought of it first.
You won't miss your family too much, as you say it's literally up the road in flight terms...
They will visit you, you won't want to visit them.
I aint been back for almost 4 years but have seen everyone who matters at least 6 times

Don't listen to anyone else, do it, make the change and decide from there if it's the right place for you. Trust me, it's great.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritBull
It's called jelousy.
The fact that they either do not have the balls to make a change of this scale or are miffed that you thought of it first.
You won't miss your family too much, as you say it's literally up the road in flight terms...
They will visit you, you won't want to visit them.
I aint been back for almost 4 years but have seen everyone who matters at least 6 times

Don't listen to anyone else, do it, make the change and decide from there if it's the right place for you. Trust me, it's great.
Hi,
Thank you all for the advice, even though hubby has just phoned to say his bought a 4x4 and our fund has now gone down a lot :scared: But i am looking forward to it and to be fair i do not see my family that often maybe every couple of months and my father is on the other side of the world anyway.

The thing is when i do feel scared about going or i worry i call my friend in Spain and here how great her life is going and i know then it is the right thing to do.

Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:16 pm
Senior Moment

Hi,
Thank you all for the advice, even though hubby has just phoned to say his bought a 4x4 and our fund has now gone down a lot :scared: But i am looking forward to it and to be fair i do not see my family that often maybe every couple of months and my father is on the other side of the world anyway.
The thing is when i do feel scared about going or i worry i call my friend in Spain and here how great her life is going and i know then it is the right thing to do.
Hi

If your hubby has just bought a car in the UK and you are moving very shortly, you ought to be aware that you need to have owned the car for 6 months as the law stands at the moment to avoid paying Spainish import tax on the cars value when you register it over there.

If you have owned the car for more than 6 months then you don't have to pay the tax. Search on here .... theres a lot about it.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Hi

If your hubby has just bought a car in the UK and you are moving very shortly, you ought to be aware that you need to have owned the car for 6 months as the law stands at the moment to avoid paying Spainish import tax on the cars value when you register it over there.

If you have owned the car for more than 6 months then you don't have to pay the tax. Search on here .... theres a lot about it.

They can drive it for 6 months here then change to Spanish, but then there is the Insurance canundrum
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Hi,
Oh my god never knew that is there no way round it,
Does anyone know roughly how much spanish import tax would be!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.