Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any idea what creatures these are

Any idea what creatures these are

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:51 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any idea what creatures these are

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I think the worst creature we have encountered here is stripy orange and brown type millipedes.Cant remember the name now but our first house in Spain, near to Alicante was rife with them.They can grow quite big too and can bite..although we didnt live there long enough to find out what the bite was like. Horrible things though. The stuff nightmares are made of.
Millipedes or centipedes? I suspect the latter as I didn't think the former had jaws big enough. I've been bitten by a centipede, and bloody painful it was too.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Could have been a centipede.Things with lots of legs all seem the same to me.Lol.The first one was in the bath, a good 12cm long. Then we saw more.

Vile things,just like those soft rubber creatures you see in toyshops.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Could have been a centipede.Things with lots of legs all seem the same to me.Lol.The first one was in the bath, a good 12cm long. Then we saw more.

Vile things,just like those soft rubber creatures you see in toyshops.
If you google centipede and millipede you'll see what I mean.

Millipedes eat soft rotting vegetable material, move slowly and are hard to the touch.

Centipedes are fast moving aggressive predators with venomous pincers at the front. Were you so stupid to pick one up you would find they were rubbery, and that their bite is inordinately painful.

(I urge you most strongly not to try that last bit, ok?)