Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Any idea what creatures these are

Any idea what creatures these are

Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any idea what creatures these are

Originally Posted by megmet
Ah yes, the false smooth. Again, a rear fang I think, and unless you stick your finger down its throat, not something I'd worry about.

Obviously you want to treat vipers with respect, especially if you have dogs.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
Have had these in the house lately and not totally sure what they are, would like to know if they are liekly to cause me any pain should I come into contact with their friends or relatives, lol .

One has a long thorax and dangly legs, a little like a wasp (att 7142906) the other one is a spider but was about the size of an old 50p it had 2 prong like things at it's rear end ( att7162917)and short legs under its head area (att 0345). The pics are not brill but you get the idea
Think the wasp is a mud wasp , they come in your house and build little nests of mud and lay an egg in it, then fill it with dead spiders as food for the lave
http://www.sitgeswebdesign.com/big-h...wasp-spain.php
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Ah yes, the false smooth. Again, a rear fang I think, and unless you stick your finger down its throat, not something I'd worry about.

Obviously you want to treat vipers with respect, especially if you have dogs.
It's my cat I'm worried about....she was going for it.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

It's my cat I'm worried about....she was going for it.
Not good, not good at all.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Not good, not good at all.
That's why I dispatched it.....I'd rather have a dead snake on my terrace than my much loved cat.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:52 pm
bil
Banned

That's why I dispatched it.....I'd rather have a dead snake on my terrace than my much loved cat.
Just don't kill the other snakes, eh? Round here they kill them all.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Just don't kill the other snakes, eh? Round here they kill them all.
No I wouldn't do that, the others get to live another day!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
.. and back on geckos, I love their little chirruping calls!
My apartment is full of them! Here though they're introduced Asian House Geckos. There are native Geckos in the surrounding forests mind you.

Too bad we don't get Chameleons here. They must be amazing lizards to see.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:59 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by tonyk38
My apartment is full of them! Here though they're introduced Asian House Geckos. There are native Geckos in the surrounding forests mind you.

Too bad we don't get Chameleons here. They must be amazing lizards to see.
Asian house geckos? What do they look like?

Chameleons are amazing. I found one crossing the road here.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:27 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Asian house geckos? What do they look like?

Chameleons are amazing. I found one crossing the road here.
They grow to about 12cms if you include the tail; are generally pale and pasty in colour and have small spines in rows along the tail. I often have them skittering across my walls after dark and they chirp loudly from behind furniture. Unfortunately they also have a reputation for getting into electrics and starting fires!

They have displaced native Geckos in and around most houses, though we still get Mourning Geckos hiding in our wheelie bin and two or three other species such as Dubious Dtella, Chameleon Gecko and the amazing (and seen only once by me) Northern Leaf-tailed Gecko in the forest.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:13 am
bil
Banned

They grow to about 12cms if you include the tail; are generally pale and pasty in colour and have small spines in rows along the tail. I often have them skittering across my walls after dark and they chirp loudly from behind furniture. Unfortunately they also have a reputation for getting into electrics and starting fires!

They have displaced native Geckos in and around most houses, though we still get Mourning Geckos hiding in our wheelie bin and two or three other species such as Dubious Dtella, Chameleon Gecko and the amazing (and seen only once by me) Northern Leaf-tailed Gecko in the forest.
Duuuhhh, I didn't spot you were in Aus. I was wondering how the hell all those got into Spain!

Mercifully our geckos show no signs of wishing to immolate themselfes in the electrics. Perhaps they are jihadii geckos?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bil
Duuuhhh, I didn't spot you were in Aus. I was wondering how the hell all those got into Spain!

Mercifully our geckos show no signs of wishing to immolate themselfes in the electrics. Perhaps they are jihadii geckos?
Ah right, that would explain your question! LOL, I occasionally trawl other threads to see what wildlife-type posts I can unearth.

They're not nearly as bad as the roaches for getting in electrics which get everywhere and at least they eat them; all the more reason I don't kill them.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:44 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Ah right, that would explain your question! LOL, I occasionally trawl other threads to see what wildlife-type posts I can unearth.

They're not nearly as bad as the roaches for getting in electrics which get everywhere and at least they eat them; all the more reason I don't kill them.
ISTR our repairs dept receiving a piece of electrical test eqpt back from somewhere the back of beyond where termites had stripped all the plastic covering from the electrical wiring inside the teak box it was built into. Can't remember if they rewired it with ptfe covering
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:51 am
bil
Banned

Hey, anything that eats roaches is an honoured guest! Mercifully, we have never been plagued with roaches, but I can appreciate what a pest they are.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I think the worst creature we have encountered here is stripy orange and brown type millipedes.Cant remember the name now but our first house in Spain, near to Alicante was rife with them.They can grow quite big too and can bite..although we didnt live there long enough to find out what the bite was like. Horrible things though. The stuff nightmares are made of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.