any idea ?

Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:37 am
Just Joined

podge will become famous soon enough
Default any idea ?

i want to drive into Gibraltar in my english car, my tax disc has run out. i was wondering if it would be okay ?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any idea ?

Originally Posted by podge
i want to drive into Gibraltar in my english car, my tax disc has run out. i was wondering if it would be okay ?
Stop at the customs and tell them.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

If you car has no valid road tax on it you are driving illegally and your insurance is invalid...in Gib or anywhere else.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

order a new one online

Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:14 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I doubt they'd notice considering that gibraltar & spain no longer display tax discs in their car. Theyre more bothered about bringing goods in and out of gibraltar than road tax. If you are driving on UK insurance and your tax is out, then yeah your car is probably uninsured anyway. I know a couple of people who have had UK plated cars over in Spain for some time with expired tax discs and gone in and out of Gibraltar with no problems.

If you want to play it safe and avoid queues then just leave the car in La Linea and cross on foot. I goto Gibraltar every day and hardly ever drive in, even for fuel. Just cant be arsed with all the hassle.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
TBH I doubt they'd notice considering that gibraltar & spain no longer display tax discs in their car. Theyre more bothered about bringing goods in and out of gibraltar than road tax. If you are driving on UK insurance and your tax is out, then yeah your car is probably uninsured anyway. I know a couple of people who have had UK plated cars over in Spain for some time with expired tax discs and gone in and out of Gibraltar with no problems.

If you want to play it safe and avoid queues then just leave the car in La Linea and cross on foot. I goto Gibraltar every day and hardly ever drive in, even for fuel. Just cant be arsed with all the hassle.
ok thanxs. it is english legal as i got a new car tax disc last week and just waiting for it to turn up, you know what the post is like here you can wait up 2 two weeks or more for post to turn up lol
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

ok thanxs. it is english legal as i got a new car tax disc last week and just waiting for it to turn up, you know what the post is like here you can wait up 2 two weeks or more for post to turn up lol
It has an MOT then, and you arent a resident?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:38 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah thats fine then. The spanish cops just care that youre insured. I very much doubt you'll have any difficulties driving in and out of gibraltar. Just make sure you got all your documents, license, log book, insurance certficate etc. I think they would be overly picky if youre not displaying a UK tax disc on foreign roads to be honest.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, being back in the UK, I am just getting used to seeing UK plated cars with 'in date' tax discs, having been on the costas so long that it seemd that all UK cars there have either an expired tax disc, or no tax disc at all.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It has an MOT then, and you arent a resident?
If it`s UK insured then it`s probably invalid. HERE
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
If it`s UK insured then it`s probably invalid. HERE
i know what you mean buy seeing valid tax discs and the other think i noticed was SHINNY cars every where i went
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK it is illegal to use a car without a valid car tax sticker displayed on the windscreen. That is not the case in Spain.

In Spain, car tax is a local tax administered by the local town hall so the
Guardia are not interested in whether you have it or not - they are the same with Spanish cars.

To drive a UK reg car in Spain it does need to be "street legal" in the UK but that means that you must have UK road tax but it is not illegal to not have a tax disk displayed - that is only a UK rule - but you would need to produce evidence that you had paid the tax in the UK - presumably by producing a tax disk from your glove compartment.

Proof that you are not resident and are fully insured is essential - car tax is not an issue as such but lack of it tends to suggest that you are not legal.

The Guardia have online access to the UK database of registered/ taxed/insured cars so the lack of a tax disk is not really important - they can easily identify "illegal" UK cars

Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Stop at the customs and tell them.