Borax?

Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:21 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all
Default Borax?

When we purchased our home last year, we found we had bowls of white powder in the cupboards, and left them there assuming they were for the ants. Possibly Borax?

Does this sound right and if so does it have shelf life once open, is it effective for ants and other bugs - if so for how long and finally Borax translates to what in Spanish.

thanks in advance
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Borax?

Originally Posted by CLR
When we purchased our home last year, we found we had bowls of white powder in the cupboards, and left them there assuming they were for the ants. Possibly Borax?

Does this sound right and if so does it have shelf life once open, is it effective for ants and other bugs - if so for how long and finally Borax translates to what in Spanish.

thanks in advance

I thought my mother used borax in the laundry, but I was rather little at the time & Somerset's not as bad for ants as Spain!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I thought my mother used borax in the laundry, but I was rather little at the time & Somerset's not as bad for ants as Spain!
You may have some on your face at the mo.
It is used in detergents, cosmetics and also insecticides, as far as I know it is the same name here.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It is commonly used for cockroaches.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:12 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is commonly used for cockroaches.
To kill them or ward them off? We noticed this summer we had one or two never seen them before.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
To kill them or ward them off? We noticed this summer we had one or two never seen them before.
I hope them big beggars haven't migrated from the South of Spain to the Shetlands.
If so,this climate change is getting a bit worrying!.........
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:34 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I hope them big beggars haven't migrated from the South of Spain to the Shetlands.
If so,this climate change is getting a bit worrying!.........

If they were here they are currently on their way back to Spain with their bags packed

We are currently in the middle of a severe force 9-10 gale - my only safe haven is this expat site at the moment
check the link below we are the second island north east of the UK.

http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-cha...ime=1252368000

Back to the Borax does anybody else suffer with these bugs or does nobody talk about it
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
If they were here they are currently on their way back to Spain with their bags packed

We are currently in the middle of a severe force 9-10 gale - my only safe haven is this expat site at the moment
check the link below we are the second island north east of the UK.
:
They might have their bags packed, but if they take off in that wind they could be the first giant cockies to reach the North Pole.........
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:58 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
They might have their bags packed, but if they take off in that wind they could be the first giant cockies to reach the North Pole.........
They have probably hitched a ride on our Sky dish currently on its way to Norway

The compost bin looks like it is heading for Faroe in the morning

Didn't want to watch tv tonight anyway!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:46 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
It kills them. It is usually mixed with sugar to make it more attractive to them.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was a thread about a Chinese swear word
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:54 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
It kills them. It is usually mixed with sugar to make it more attractive to them.
Many thanks that is better than Mitzyboys interpretation
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:54 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I thought this was a thread about a Chinese swear word
You have made my morning
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CLR

thanks in advance
In Spanish it is known as ácido borásico or borax en polvo.

Curiously enough, it became notorious duing the trial of the Madrid train bombers, as some of it was found in the hideout of the suspects and certain newspapers and politicians tried desperately to claim that this was the missing link to proving that ETA was somehow involved in the attack, as apparently in the past ETA had, on occasions, used it in the manufacture of explosives.

iant
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:53 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iant
In Spanish it is known as ácido borásico or borax en polvo.

Curiously enough, it became notorious duing the trial of the Madrid train bombers, as some of it was found in the hideout of the suspects and certain newspapers and politicians tried desperately to claim that this was the missing link to proving that ETA was somehow involved in the attack, as apparently in the past ETA had, on occasions, used it in the manufacture of explosives.

iant
Iant - thanks for that. I know if all else fails I can blow the little b******s up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.