Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anti Tourism protests

Anti Tourism protests

Old May 26th 2024, 2:22 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti Tourism protests

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
A massive protest in Palma yesterday with locals ( hardly a circus ) - with a call now for sales only to residents who have permanent 5 years residency.
Spot the huge masses of tag-alongs who are there for entirely different reasons.

It's not so much the sales themselves that are the problem but the way those sales are justified by the properties instantly being converted for holiday lets. Stop short-term lets and you immediately take a massive chunk of so-called "investors" out of the picture.

Originally Posted by Assanah
I stopped using Airnb. My neighbours in Berlin once rented out their apartment while they were away for a few months. This was the first time I truly understood how utterly destructive tourism can be. Tourists should stay in hotels only! They should not swamp residential neighborhoods.
Very true. That's why Singapore saw the problem early on and enacted a complete ban on short-term lets. Problem taken care of early on.

Originally Posted by Assanah
And lack of affordable housing is a serious problem!! If we don't want radical political parties to win elections all over Europe cities must become affordable again. I think this is why all EU countries except Greece have stopped their golden visas program. Too many rich foreigners immigrating and buying up apartments and thereby driving up prices.
A lot of the purchases, even when made by foreigners, and not for themselves to reside in. Non-residents are still scooping up properties to be converted into holiday lets so I'm not sure visas are the issue here. One small real estate firm I know sells 19 out of 20 propertied to people who do not even plan on living in Spain, and those purchases are all for short-term lets, NEVER regular rentals so in effect prices for residents looking to rent shoot through the roof.

Old May 26th 2024, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Valencia city gave out 600 new tourist licenses in the last month...
Way out of control....
https://www.levante-emv.com/valencia...102790549.html
Old May 27th 2024, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I'll be there this weekend and fly back on the day of the protest. I'll report back on the disruptions.... I'm sure it will be a handful of placards.
No disruption at all at the airport as far as I could see.

Thankfully I missed the protest on Saturday but I agree with them. I have no issue with a family letting their spare room and guest houses but it's gone crazy.
Old Jun 9th 2024, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/543...15-ultimo-ano/

More here on how parts of Valencia and other regions are starting to look at limiting tourist licences- interesting to see that fraud charges could be applied to persons not complying ( 90% of them in Valencia don't comply).
Old Jun 12th 2024, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

OH4BCN is an unknown quantity at this point

the protests enjoy my full support. Barcelona has been turned into a horrible city by tourism, a tacky theme park which it never used to be in the 80s/90s.
Old Jun 12th 2024, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/543...15-ultimo-ano/

More here on how parts of Valencia and other regions are starting to look at limiting tourist licences- interesting to see that fraud charges could be applied to persons not complying ( 90% of them in Valencia don't comply).
I was talking to an Artist who lives and works in Valencia city at the weekend and he said that there have always been quotas for using property for rental and holiday lets. BUT the local Government have always turned a blind eye as it has been a money spinner and helped push prices up.
Sounds to me like a cake and eat it scenario.

Its taken him nearly a year to find studio space as, even some of the old warehouses have been converted into 'studio apartments' and given free reign with tourist licences. The rules are supposedly no more than 10% of the building can be holiday or short term rental. Well thats what he said anyway.
Old Jun 12th 2024, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a UK licensed car daubed in spray paint. Didn't say anything on it but I assumed it was part of the protest.