Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anti Tourism protests

Wikiposts

Anti Tourism protests

Old May 15th 2024, 9:14 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti Tourism protests

IMO the pretentious halfwits who organise -go on- stag/hens holiday's-nights think that they are unique when the world is sick of you idiots should be stopped.
You are not unique.
No one apart from your gang are remotely interested.
Been going on for thousands of years.
Really good for you but that’s it …………..period !
Old May 15th 2024, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
But to be honest almost every single place in Europe (and further afield) has actually caused the problems they are now trying to cure. Bit of a horse, stable bolted effect if you ask me.

Its not the Brits who have dragged places like Benidorm to name one down. It was the greed of the local councils who decided to build these places up.
Best quote ever "if you build it they will come"

I went on a job to Prague ages ago and was dismayed by the amount of hens and stags that go there. But with flights at that time around a tenner and a decent sized beer for 50c what do you expect?
In fact a work mate had his there and when I told him about the fantastic architecture and some of the sites all he said was "dont want to waste time on that, we are going drinking and I expect to have change from a twenty and be blind drunk."
In the late 80's a bucket UK airline was offering all inclusive holidays to the Caribbean. They soon stopped when the governments realised that none of the money was being spent locally and rowdy behaviour became the norm on some beaches.

Im even old enough and stupid enough to have the 18-30 holidays of the early 80's and they were bad....

Do I have a cure for this, well I have ideas but they wont be popular with 99% of the people who run these places or those who go, so nothing will change, because they dont actually want it to.
Florida is doing the same with an American University tradition of "Spring Break"....

2 weeks - spring break - and year round are totally different though.. As well as the age of the participants...
Old May 15th 2024, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
IMO the pretentious halfwits who organise -go on- stag/hens holiday's-nights think that they are unique when the world is sick of you idiots should be stopped.
You are not unique.
No one apart from your gang are remotely interested.
Been going on for thousands of years.
Really good for you but that’s it …………..period !
A very strange post and one I can't fully agree with. Stag and Hen groups can have a good time without causing mayhem or trouble. Many Stag and hen groups also bring elderly relatives with them who keep everything in check. I've sat with a few Stag groups and had good fun throughout the evening.

Steve
Old May 16th 2024, 1:05 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Other restaurants ban them outright in case they leave a trail of noise and destruction behind them.
Old May 20th 2024, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-b2548021.html

More protests on the cards, although I do feel that the British press seem to sensationalise and give the impression at times that its Anti British which its not.
There are also several aspects to the whole tourism problem (as described above). Bad behaviour, airbnb, property prices in general, climate issues etc.

The drinking culture has been a problem in various places for years on and off. The root to many of the current problems seems to be AirBnB which has a knock on effect.
Old May 20th 2024, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

There is an article about the housing crisis in Europe and in places like Spain and Portugal a lot of the problem is down to tourism . They cite how places like Lisbon and Barcelona have been forced to try and limit these accommodations. It doesn't help that the estate agents seem to be advertising properties as rental opportunities!!!
Old May 21st 2024, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
There is an article about the housing crisis in Europe and in places like Spain and Portugal a lot of the problem is down to tourism . They cite how places like Lisbon and Barcelona have been forced to try and limit these accommodations. It doesn't help that the estate agents seem to be advertising properties as rental opportunities!!!
Why shouldnt agents advertise as such ? after all there is always demand for people to live in a rented property, what needs to be curbed somewhat are the short term 'on demand' type rentals that Airbnb (and other apps) offer, this is what distorts the market in many places although not all.
Old May 22nd 2024, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

callumalden is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been exploring long term rental options in the north of Spain after being evicted from my home in the highlands of Scotland (where 30% of our village was holiday lets), a beautiful spot where it was becoming quite impossible for young people in the area to remotely consider buying their own homes because people were actively hoovering up every property to add to their AirBnB portfolios. Shocking stuff.

Have been surprised to return to verrrrrrry rural Spain and find it is also happening here. My last attempt to live here was 7 years ago, the long term rental prices have doubled. Also a weird paranoia about Ocupados, I hear it from otherwise lovely old ladies in the tiniest wee pueblos up here. Try countering it with the fact that occupied properties account for 1% of the rented homes in Spain, with over 95% of those occupied homes belonging to the banks! No one wants to know.

Anyway, such a shame. I believe AirBnB worldwide should be restricted to renting rooms otherwise empty in ones’ own home, can be wonderful if you host guests and give them a glimpse of your part of the world with the guidance of a “local”. I used to live in Edinburgh and the center of that city is a crying shame, those little black key lock boxes, six of them on the side of one block of flats.

It would also be great if local authorities used their powers to implement rent freezes and disallow holiday properties in areas under pressure (I was reading about Ibiza a few weeks ago on the beeb). Anyway, my two cents.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 22nd 2024 at 10:18 am.
Old May 22nd 2024, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be there this weekend and fly back on the day of the protest. I'll report back on the disruptions.... I'm sure it will be a handful of placards.
Old May 24th 2024, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

According to 24h tv news Valencia have suspended new tourist letting license for 1 year....
Good for them. Bad for investors...
https://www.levante-emv.com/valencia...102795101.html
Old May 24th 2024, 7:39 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
According to 24h tv news Valencia have suspended new tourist letting license for 1 year....
https://www.levante-emv.com/valencia...102795101.html
I presume that is Valencia city and not the province nor the comunidad ?
Old May 24th 2024, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I presume that is Valencia city and not the province nor the comunidad ?
It doesn't say that they have suspended licences, just that they are considering it.
Old May 25th 2024, 12:55 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Should ban then indefinitely and phase out holiday lets completely.

I wouldn't worry too much about the protests themselves though, a lot of it is hyped up and isn't just about tourists - in fact it's one BIG bandwagon of a small number of genuine people and a huge number of tag-alongs who range from separatist idiots, anti-government right-wingers, even wannabe communists waving soviet flags. It's literally a circus and a nut house all in one.
Old May 25th 2024, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by astera
Should ban then indefinitely and phase out holiday lets completely.

I wouldn't worry too much about the protests themselves though, a lot of it is hyped up and isn't just about tourists - in fact it's one BIG bandwagon of a small number of genuine people and a huge number of tag-alongs who range from separatist idiots, anti-government right-wingers, even wannabe communists waving soviet flags. It's literally a circus and a nut house all in one.
A massive protest in Palma yesterday with locals ( hardly a circus ) - with a call now for sales only to residents who have permanent 5 years residency.

https://www.eldiario.es/illes-balears/sociedad/manifestacion-multitudinaria-mallorca-turismo-masivo-funcionaria-no-comprar-piso_1_11396794.html

Then on La 1 reports of 70% rent rise in Granada preventing students from going to the university. I would say it's a genuine national protest now.

Incidentally here is an article of okupa who posted her 675,000 € occupation in Menorca. She says she deserves it and " her lawyer" says she can't be removed as she has children.
https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/5313813/0/okupa-ensena-nuevo-chalet-lujo-menorca-me-lo-merezco/

Last edited by 1sexsmith; May 25th 2024 at 5:39 pm.
Old May 25th 2024, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped using Airnb. My neighbours in Berlin once rented out their apartment while they were away for a few months. This was the first time I truly understood how utterly destructive tourism can be. Tourists should stay in hotels only! They should not swamp residential neighborhoods.

And lack of affordable housing is a serious problem!! If we don't want radical political parties to win elections all over Europe cities must become affordable again. I think this is why all EU countries except Greece have stopped their golden visas program. Too many rich foreigners immigrating and buying up apartments and thereby driving up prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.