Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-social behaviour

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
On the Spanish news today amidst the solemn religious processions they showed one from Leon which appeared to be a send-up or p!ss take of the real thing with Jesus on the main float looking very drunk with a half empty bottle in his hand and everyone else in the procession in various states of disarray taking off those kkk guys with funny hats and masks.
The whole thing seemed a well attended but very inebriated affair with drunks laid about all over the place.
I was a bit taken aback, if not shocked myself,couldn't believe what I was seeing,..yet the Spanish family I was with, had a good chuckle at it.
I could not imagine such a public insult to religion taking place in the UK or anywhere else.
From what I saw,it made the UK yobs look quite respectable by comparison.
Wonder if anyone else saw it or could shed any light on the drunken proceedings?
Yes I saw that. It was an ode to a drunk who died on the streets of Leon in the 20s and is celebrated by drinking lots of alcohol. It is a remedy for those people who are sick of religious festivals.

It all looked fun but rowdy to me. I have no problem with people drinking and having fun, I have done it myself a lot in the past. It's when people can't handle their drink I dont like it. When at the end of the night you see fights, people people sick and getting naked for the cameras etc.

Spanish young people love to drink as much as the British, but they dont seem to get so out of hand at the end of the night. I've never seen a fight in a Spanish city in the early hours of the morning, used to see it every night in the UK.

Plus it is somewhat taboo for parents or people over 40 to be seen to be out of control drunk in Spain. So the old British golfers/football hooligans are a shock to them.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes I saw that. It was an ode to a drunk who died on the streets of Leon in the 20s and is celebrated by drinking lots of alcohol. It is a remedy for those people who are sick of religious festivals.

It all looked fun but rowdy to me. I have no problem with people drinking and having fun, I have done it myself a lot in the past. It's when people can't handle their drink I dont like it. When at the end of the night you see fights, people people sick and getting naked for the cameras etc.

Spanish young people love to drink as much as the British, but they dont seem to get so out of hand at the end of the night. I've never seen a fight in a Spanish city in the early hours of the morning, used to see it every night in the UK.

Plus it is somewhat taboo for parents or people over 40 to be seen to be out of control drunk in Spain. So the old British golfers/football hooligans are a shock to them.
HA,HA,..I like that.
They have a major festivity to celebrate a drunk who died in the streets 90 year ago.
Imagine the public and media outcry if they did something like that in the UK,
Doesn't bear thinking about.
In any event they all seemed to enjoy it and probably ended up too comatosed to raise hell or cause any havoc.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SacredOwl
Anti Social behaviour is the result of bad or indifferent parenting. Long gone are the days when family groups related to other family groups which was a very civilised way of keeping families in touch as well as meeting other people in amicable circumstances. Once this vital thread is broken, society becomes fragmented into 'age' groups where one group rarely relates to another unless it is forced to. At 63 years old I don't care much for the way society has turned out. I do NOT go downtown on Friday or Saturday nights as there is a chance that you might just look at a youth in a group the wrong way and innocently attract aggressive behaviour. I was once waiting for a train during daylight hours and just happened to glance at a couple of foul mouthed youths hugging beer cans when one of them shouted 'Whaddayou fuc...g looking at'. No wonder people of my generation miss the old civilised days.

'Oldie' in Essex
I agree with you SacredOwl. I am neither a youngster or an oldie but I appreciate the value of being brought up well and feel that children nowadays are being dragged up instead of brought up. I genuinely feel that although things are changing, as they inevitably do, Spanish young people on the whole are much less aggressive and more respectful. I too have had problems with the whole "whatyoulookinat" attitude that you really don't get here.