Reload this Page >

Another school question

Another school question

Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

gembo is on a distinguished road
Default Another school question

Hi,

I've got a few of questions about Spanish state schools (esp. primary schools) and I hope someone can help me.

Firstly, I've heard that in Spanish schools children learn parrot fashion [rote learning] rather than through practicals/projects/coursework etc and so don't really learn anything or retain any of the information. Does anyone have any experience of this through their children?

Secondly, what's the homework/exam load like for little ones? I personally don't think that the work load should be too heavy for primary age children, but I've heard that the Spanish expect a lot from their kids even at a very young age. Does anyone know if that's true?

And finally, we live in Javea on the Costa Blanca. Does anyone know if primary school hours are still 9-12.30 and then 3.30-5.00? I'm not too keen on this as the kids end up in school all day (9-5), which to me seems a little extreme for little ones.

Anyway, thanks for any advice and any experiences you can tell me about.

Julia
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another school question

Originally Posted by gembo
Hi,

I've got a few of questions about Spanish state schools (esp. primary schools) and I hope someone can help me.

Firstly, I've heard that in Spanish schools children learn parrot fashion [rote learning] rather than through practicals/projects/coursework etc and so don't really learn anything or retain any of the information. Does anyone have any experience of this through their children?
Our (then) five year old had a lot of catching up to do when we first moved to Spain. The teachers were amazed that a five year old couldn't add 542 to 765, for example, but back in the UK they were being taught 'number bonds' and other fashionable teaching methods, and didn't cover any numbers above 20!

Today, our daughter has bought home a shoe box containing live caterpillars as part of her study of the lifecycle of the caterpillar. I'd say that was a good example of practical studies, but the wife is somewhat less enthusiastic...

They take part in some fantastic school trips (which they have to write about afterwards), traditional festivals and carnivals where they learn about the local culture, take part in school productions and plays, do music and dance lessons, art, as well as lots of outdoor physical activities. Plus the maths, the RE, the KUW / science lessons and all the other things you'd expect to cover at school. Oh, and did I mention the computing? There's a lot of that too... our younger child particularly loves computing!

Oh, they also study three languages at school from the age of three.

Secondly, what's the homework/exam load like for little ones? I personally don't think that the work load should be too heavy for primary age children, but I've heard that the Spanish expect a lot from their kids even at a very young age. Does anyone know if that's true?
The workload and standard of homework is much higher than the UK in our experience. For the child, it's no problem. The hardest part is for us adults who aren't 100% fluent!

And finally, we live in Javea on the Costa Blanca. Does anyone know if primary school hours are still 9-12.30 and then 3.30-5.00? I'm not too keen on this as the kids end up in school all day (9-5), which to me seems a little extreme for little ones.
We're not in Javea, but further south on the Costa Blanca. These hours are pretty standard, although there are local exceptions, for children from three upwards - and they cope fine.

Unless they have lunch at school, they are not at school all day - they come home for siesta to play / sleep / relax / chill - whatever they need. Plus in the hotter months (June / September) they normally only do mornings 9-1pm.

Anyway, thanks for any advice and any experiences you can tell me about.

Julia
We have nothing but praise for the Spanish education system - it's a great learning environment and our children are now far in advance of old UK friends whenever we go back to the UK to visit.

Good luck!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

gembo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply! Your daughter's school experience sounds great, including (or perhaps especially ) the caterpillar. I can't believe they expected 3-digit additions at age 5, though! Considering compulsory school age only starts at 6, for them to expect any real maths at 5 is a little keen.

Anyway, thanks again. Your post has eased my mind.

Julia
Old Apr 11th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply! Your daughter's school experience sounds great, including (or perhaps especially ) the caterpillar. I can't believe they expected 3-digit additions at age 5, though! Considering compulsory school age only starts at 6, for them to expect any real maths at 5 is a little keen.

Anyway, thanks again. Your post has eased my mind.

Julia
Children full time education in Spain in the year they are three.

Compulsory simply means the age at which they start to send the police around if they don't attend. It has little to do with when children actually start school

Good luck!

PS the SIX caterpillars are fine... growing larger every day...
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:36 pm
aspeangel

not sure which school your five year old went to/goes to, but my little boy has been in school here since he was 3 and is now in 5 year old infantils and he is still only learning very simple sums ie 7+5 or 8-5! I personally think the method of learning for younger kids is much slower than in UK. Also my little one hasn´t been learning 3 languages yet either only castellano and a very small amount of valenciano ie head, nose, ears etc.