Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another Question for The Guy!

Another Question for The Guy!

Old Nov 27th 2010, 5:41 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Question for The Guy!

Hi there, we have just brought back from the UK a TV with freeview installed.

Now we want this TV in our second lounge mainly to watch DVDs on as the main TV set-up is in a different room.

My question is, if we connect the new TV to our existing dish, will it pick up any UK channels? If it won't that is fine, but if it will we may as well use the facility.

I think it won't myself, but thought I would check!

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Another Question for The Guy!

No it won't - you need Freesat, not freeview......
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:23 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Freeview is the name of the UK ONLY digital service via a TV aerial.
Freeview IS NOT available in Spain.
The Freeview signal from the nearest transmitter (channel isands) are not powerful enough to reach Spain - if they were then all UK TV would be available without a dish and via a TV aerial - and the UK woul only need one or two TV masts for the whole country and not the 50plus (like Emley Moor, Crystal Palace, Belmont etc) they have.
If you connect a Freeview set top box / Freeview TV to a TV aerial in Spain, you will get Spanish channels.
You cannot connect a Freeview set top box / TV to a dish - they are two differnet systems.

If your TV is a FreeSAT integrated TV, then that will pick up the free to air TV channels via satellite.
Or you will need a FTA / Freesat / Sky box / other receiver to connect to the dish and the TV.

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 27th 2010 at 6:25 am.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:17 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou both. As I thought!

I think it is Freeview, not Freesat, but will look on the box to find out.

As I said, we really only bought it to watch DVDs, so not a problem if we can't get TV on it.

Thanks again!