Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another new experience

Another new experience

Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another new experience

I know that some of you are interested in the lovely things that I have experienced in Spain so here is another one.

A couple of weeks ago a lady knocked on our door and told my OH that he had to give her 7 euros for Amas de Casa. He paid up, she went on to tell me of a day that the ladies of Amas de Casa would be having paella and then seeing a play. The next thing she talked about was to occur the day after the paella and that was a visit to our castle followed by going to a cafe for coffee and cake. Fine we thought 7 euros for all of that is not a bad deal at all. Totally wrong as usual. Since then we have discovered that the 7 euros was my 'dues' for a years membership of Amas de Casa.

The paella meal was today.......10 of us gathered in one of the ladies house to make a huge paella, when cooked we took it to the building where they hold meetings, plays and dances. Tables were there all laid with bottles of wine, water, and lemonade. I was asked to pay 25 cents for the salad that two of our ladies had provided. As usual the noise was enormous because there were about 200 spanish women all talking but nevertheless I had a great time. Everyone was presented with a plant and a pen. When I was leaving (because the play was going to be in Valenciano so no point in me staying) I asked how much I had to pay and was told that the food and drink was provided free by Amas de Casa, the plant was a gift from the town hall and the pen was from one of the banks.

I asked about the cost of the cake and coffee which is the climax of our next outing occurring tomorrow and was told that this is also free as it is paid for by Amas de Casa.

Cannot believe what is provided by this association and how warm, friendly and inclusive the people are.

Rosemary
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Another new experience

Just checked my calendar but no it's not that day.

Things some people will do to make you feel good. Almost didn't read this thread but glad I did.

We are hoping to move to your neck of the woods. Hope she comes knocking on our door, both my wife and mother-in-law will have us contributing.

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I know that some of you are interested in the lovely things that I have experienced in Spain so here is another one.

A couple of weeks ago a lady knocked on our door and told my OH that he had to give her 7 euros for Amas de Casa. He paid up, she went on to tell me of a day that the ladies of Amas de Casa would be having paella and then seeing a play. The next thing she talked about was to occur the day after the paella and that was a visit to our castle followed by going to a cafe for coffee and cake. Fine we thought 7 euros for all of that is not a bad deal at all. Totally wrong as usual. Since then we have discovered that the 7 euros was my 'dues' for a years membership of Amas de Casa.

The paella meal was today.......10 of us gathered in one of the ladies house to make a huge paella, when cooked we took it to the building where they hold meetings, plays and dances. Tables were there all laid with bottles of wine, water, and lemonade. I was asked to pay 25 cents for the salad that two of our ladies had provided. As usual the noise was enormous because there were about 200 spanish women all talking but nevertheless I had a great time. Everyone was presented with a plant and a pen. When I was leaving (because the play was going to be in Valenciano so no point in me staying) I asked how much I had to pay and was told that the food and drink was provided free by Amas de Casa, the plant was a gift from the town hall and the pen was from one of the banks.

I asked about the cost of the cake and coffee which is the climax of our next outing occurring tomorrow and was told that this is also free as it is paid for by Amas de Casa.

Cannot believe what is provided by this association and how warm, friendly and inclusive the people are.

Rosemary
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new experience

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Just checked my calendar but no it's not that day.

Things some people will do to make you feel good. Almost didn't read this thread but glad I did.

We are hoping to move to your neck of the woods. Hope she comes knocking on our door, both my wife and mother-in-law will have us contributing.
Most towns have an Amas de Casa association. The only reason that the lady knocked on my door was because I have already been involved with a craft group that they organised and attended some of their events by being taken by neighbours. Now that I have paid my dues I can go in my own right, still need a friend to hold my hand though and make sure that I get things right. So many people here do not speak Spanish so I try to go with a lady who speaks Valenciano and Castellon so that I am not totally left floundering.

The best bet when you move in and begin to meet people is to ask about the Amas de Casas group in your town. I would virtually guarantee that your wife and mother-in-law will be dragged along to a merienda at some point.

Rosemary
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:19 pm

Default Re: Another new experience

Thought I should say what happened today. Walking towards the meeting point I realised that there were about 50 of us for this event and began to wonder how some of the older tiny ladies were going to cope with the rough terrain of the castle. We were all given our cake and chocolate in a polybag and off we set. Well 8 of us did....the only ones brave enough to go climbing (thats what my friend said) I was thinking more along the lines of the only ones stupid enough. The views were good so well worth the climb. My OH was filming us from the house and my friends commented that every now and again he strained himself and exercised his arm by waving.

When we same down to street level again we went to a large cafe for coffee and I could not believe my eyes because there were about 150 women there. So only 8 out of 150 actually did the arranged event but all had their cake, chocolate and coffee.

During our climb I was told that I am different from the Spanish as I am quiet and they are all noisy so when we got to the last opening where we had a view of my house we all shouted and cheered to get my OH's attention and I was praised for being as loud as them.

Think my legs are going to ache like hell tomorrow because my friend who does this sort of thing regularly commented that hers would.

Rosemary