Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another computer problem

Another computer problem

Old Sep 24th 2012, 7:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another computer problem

I am at the moment using the laptop via wifi because I cannot get the internet to work on the other computer. When I go into MSN it locks up and it says that it is not responding, the rest of the computer is working fine, been using it for photo´s and documents today so nothing wrong there. So my question is: could this be the router or a connection or something else?

Rosemary
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another computer problem

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am at the moment using the laptop via wifi because I cannot get the internet to work on the other computer. When I go into MSN it locks up and it says that it is not responding, the rest of the computer is working fine, been using it for photo´s and documents today so nothing wrong there. So my question is: could this be the router or a connection or something else?

Rosemary
Rosemary,
This is really serious. Have you got the packaging that the computer came in?
If so I will tell you exactly what you need to do.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Err ... it's not necessarily serious, thats a bit alarmist for Rosemary . My mailbox is often not responding, as are some of the programmes I have on here and it's mainly down sometimes to the demands that are being put on an older machine by modern programmes.

What operating system are you using Rosemary?
Try pressing control / alt / delete to start up the Task monitor and it will show you if the laptop CPU is maxing out. How big is the hard disk, and how full is it. If you get to over 75% full it can sometimes cause hanging and slow response. I recently had to remove a load of stuff from my daughters laptop because it was causing problems.

Do you know if your internet signal is good .... try going to www.speedtest.net to see if your connection is reasonable
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:50 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am on here now via my main computer using google chrome which I am not keen on. Normally I go into the various sites via MSN home page and today it is being difficult. MSN homepage comes up but when I click on the drop down for the sites that I use a lot it says that windows explorer is not responding and it freezes up. I have tried wiping out the MSN page within the control panel and typing it in again but it still did this. At least by going in via google chrome I know that it is not my router or the connections.

Any ideas?

Rosemary

Edit. Just done the speed test and it came up with 45 ms 8.39 mbps

Last edited by Rosemary; Sep 24th 2012 at 10:54 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Mitzy and Rosemary,
Sorry I was just going to say the old joke.
If Rosemary had said yes she had the original package, i would have said.

Send it back because you are too stupid to have a computer!!!!

Oooops awaiting the flack. lol
Night
Old Sep 24th 2012, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by lmj50
Mitzy and Rosemary,
Sorry I was just going to say the old joke.
If Rosemary had said yes she had the original package, i would have said.

Send it back because you are too stupid to have a computer!!!!

Oooops awaiting the flack. lol
Night
I know that I am super sensitive at the present time but your input is both unnecessary and unwanted.

Rosemary
Old Sep 24th 2012, 11:26 pm

OK this time I have taken MSN out of the control panel and come in via about blank and it has allowed the drop down that I normally use and did not freeze so it is obviously the MSN home page that is the problem.

Rosemary
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

OK this time I have taken MSN out of the control panel and come in via about blank and it has allowed the drop down that I normally use and did not freeze so it is obviously the MSN home page that is the problem.

Rosemary
have you considered taking MS out of the equation and using mozilla firefox for browsing and thunderbird for e mail? or just change the home page?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

You have probably tried the old trick of turning the computer off and back on. If not try that. If that doesn't work I would delete MSN and re-download it from the web. I have done this successfully with other programmes in the past.
I prefer Chrome myself.
I am sure you shall soon have it sorted out.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:51 am

It is definitely the MSN homepage that is the problem. As I said above I have taken it out and now using ábout blank´for my favourites and the drop down. I went back into MSN via the internet this morning and the same thing happened so I presume that there is a corruption now in my system. Ran Spy bot and defragged a couple of days ago but will do it again.

Rosemary
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:14 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

It is definitely the MSN homepage that is the problem. As I said above I have taken it out and now using ábout blank´for my favourites and the drop down. I went back into MSN via the internet this morning and the same thing happened so I presume that there is a corruption now in my system. Ran Spy bot and defragged a couple of days ago but will do it again.

Rosemary
I have regular problems with Internet Explorer, (running IE8), locks up and stops responding. usually it is when I have a number of tabs running at the same time, but also when using other "heavy" programmes, such as Radio 4, or a website design prog.

As Mitzy suggests I have taken to opening Task Manager and having the graphic running in the tray so I can see the useage. Is interesting to look at Processes and see IE ramping up and up swallowing more and more cpu but you know it is not responding. Have taken to terminating it there rather than using the X top right, usually doesn't work.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
I always use Google Chrome as it is much faster (and safer) than Internet Explorer. I also use Firefox sometimes. I also downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird for my email accounts now, because Windows Mail / Outlook were slowing me down also. I have hotmail account but I access that through Thunderbird now. IE is terribly slow to be honest

Also try downloading a free copy of Hitman.pro. Its a third party scan for virus and tracking cookies. I run it every so often because it picks up stuff that my security software misses

Other than that, remove and reinstall MSN
Dont bother with defrag, if you did it recently its unlikely to be an issue

Finally
Go to My Computer
Right click on your main hard drive
Choose properties
Choose error checking
make sure automatically fix errors is ticked in the next box
run

Make sure all programs are closed that you can before running it

Good luck
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:25 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a serious problem with Internet Explorer recently and if you're not getting automatic updates, you should download the latest from the Microsoft site, according to their advice. I believe the automatic updates are being applied today.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
There has been a serious problem with Internet Explorer recently and if you're not getting automatic updates, you should download the latest from the Microsoft site, according to their advice. I believe the automatic updates are being applied today.
does that mean the time I spend sending them reports every time the damned thing freezes my computer is actually doing some good ?

thought it was all going into the waste bin somewhere.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 8:42 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used IE for years but my wife still does, occasionally.

I always know when she's using it, because the dogs get frightened when she starts shouting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.