Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Annual property taxes

Annual property taxes

Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Annual property taxes

Sound advice as ever from Beachcomber.

Also don't forget if the property is in joint names, you must fill in a form each, just halve the price of escritura and valor catastral.

I found the Tax office in Granada extremely helpful although we do not speak much Spanish at all. He put the info we gave him online and printed it out for us to copy, we bought 2 forms, then went to another desk where we were issued with a sheet of 'sticky labels' these contain a bar code of info, we were going to take them home and fill them in, but at another desk the officer watched/helped us fill them in. we then to attach the labels to each of the 3 forms (2 are copies with slightly different info on them). these are taken to our bank to pay. One is ours, the other for the bank and the third for the tax office.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I have been asked for a bit of backgrounds here goes. I dont know how this works - I have never used a forum before.
We are in the Uk intending to retire to (probably) Galicia later this year. All very new, just fed up wth congestion and tax. And unlike another correspondent, not only have we all had this bloody flu, but now we have this winter virus as well and thte docto wont see us in case we make other people sick!!
Which may be rational but does not improve tempers.
Anyway we have loads of questions as you can imagine. The info on property taxes is very useful but we have so many questions we do not know where to start.
Does the same risk of demolition apply to old properties that one renovates?
Does the cost of living vary dramatically from region to region? Gailcia did not seem that cheap. How much does it actually cost to renovate (I know, - how long is a piece of string)? Sso we are just going to keep reading and researching.

Thanks all
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:49 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my 'two-penny-worth' (wow but I'm old) - we are currently reforming an old townhouse in Ontinyent and various (English and Spanish) builders suggested that we budget between 400 and 450 euros per square meter.

The upper figure is for constructional tasks like stairs, walls, floors etc. This figure has risen from 370 Euro about a year ago due to cement prices increasing ... or so I'm told.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

That is kind of you. Is that figure per floor or per ground area

Many thanks
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

It's not ground area. So, for example, if you have a ground area of 100m2 on 3 floors this gives a total area of 3 x 100 and a cost of 3 x 100 x (400 to 450)

Hope this clarifies.

Merv
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It's not ground area. So, for example, if you have a ground area of 100m2 on 3 floors this gives a total area of 3 x 100 and a cost of 3 x 100 x (400 to 450)

Hope this clarifies.

Merv
Thanks Merv

Mike