Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Animals cannot speak

Animals cannot speak

Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Animals cannot speak

Driving back from San Fernando today somebody had just dumped 3 dogs at the side of the dual carriageway on the approach to Chiclana. There was a near accident as the dogs who were obviously frightened and not streetwise began to run backwards and forwards across the road...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 6:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animals cannot speak

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Driving back from San Fernando today somebody had just dumped 3 dogs at the side of the dual carriageway on the approach to Chiclana. There was a near accident as the dogs who were obviously frightened and not streetwise began to run backwards and forwards across the road...
Which is one of the reasons we have become dog rehomers for the charity PEPA for the area round here.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:02 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Que?
Old Jan 28th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Hi Mikelincs

I take my hat off to you and your good work - had a sleepless night thinking of the poor animals out in the heavy rain we were subject to here in Chiclana...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 10:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
Que?
Because of the way that a lot of animlas get treated here in Spain, people think nothing of throwing kitttens and puppies into litter bins, tying dogs up to fences on the beach.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

I love this country and its people but their treatment of animals is truly disgusting.

Only yesterday I was picking up wood and my woodman had a darling puppy he had just rescued. Another Spanish chap stopped by and he had two rescued dogs in his car.

We all talked about the way they treat animals and all agreed how revolting it is. These are the good guys. I'd love to tether these other b*****ds to my tow bar and drive through boiling hot tar....and that's just for starters!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Which is one of the reasons we have become dog rehomers for the charity PEPA for the area round here.
Hi Mike... I am involved (loosely) with PEPA, after years of trying to rescue and rehome all on my own (with a vet bill of nearly 1000euros to prove it!). I also work closely with some of the Spanish protectoras. But there are soooo many animals needing help.

As a lot of you have noticed, the treatment of animals over here is trully heartbreaking. I can´t tell you how many dogs and cats I have rescued and rehomed since I have been here. There have been kittens in plastic bags, dumped in street bins, dogs roaming the streets, we know of dogs which have been hung on trees or thrown off bridges onto the road below, pups and kittens thrown out of moving cars into the fields or onto the sides of the roads... the suffering is endless.

Even a lot of those who have their dogs as pets and not as working animals (ie left in yards to protect the property or goods such as the leña (firewood))are not all treated very well. There are hundreds who live their lives on balconies or tied up on the property with barely enough chain so that they can sleep in a different area to their bathroom!

If you are an animal lover, which most Brits are, you will spend many many hours breaking your heart over things you see I´m sorry to say.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:33 pm
Concierge

hello everyone, please remember that PEPA the animal charity I'm a volunteer for is desperate for funds and runs stalls at boot sales. So if you any of you have any items that you are throwing away in the bins, please think first before the bins get searched for various items to be sold, often only benefiting the finder. If you are on the Costa Blanca, please pm me for contact and I can pass you on to someone in your area. If you live elsewhere in Spain, PLEASE think about animal charities before throwing those items out.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mikelincs

It is a great idea to support animal charities..

I dont think there is an animal charity in the Chiclana area but perhaps somebody knows of one??
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

betis is an unknown quantity at this point

A new law was passed last Friday covering the ill treatment of domestic pets with a maximum €100.000 fine. Does not cover bull fighting or animals used in fiestas.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point

I once had a dog that could say "SAUSAGES"
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by betis
A new law was passed last Friday covering the ill treatment of domestic pets with a maximum €100.000 fine. Does not cover bull fighting or animals used in fiestas.
Fantastic wonderfull news just one thing though. If its like the rest of the laws in Spain who is going to enforce it ?.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:59 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Theres a dogs home in Ayamonte on the road out to Lepe. They are all volunteers that work there and do a fantastic job. I took a friend of mine up there as she wanted to do some voluntary work and came away with a dog. Its really hard for them to rehome these dogs. Quite a lot of the dogs are taken back to Germany and Holland but its difficult for the British to take them back. They are desperate for donations because every dog that goes into the home is immediately spade and given all the inocculations and also need to be fed, and there and over a hundred dogs in the home. If anyone from the Huelva region is reading this then please do give them a thought and if at all possible some help.

Regards Sam