Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

also Moving To Spain

also Moving To Spain

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Tuco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default also Moving To Spain

Hello all, I'm a newbie trying to garner as much info as possible for a move to Spain, although currently, I'm not sure when exactly that will be.

We currently live in Thailand and have done so for over 6 years, but we want to sell up and move to Spain so we can be nearer to UK/family/friends.

We are though planning a reccy trip next year and that is what I want to concentrate on atm (naturally any other snippets of advice are gratefully received) and we want to search for an ideal location on the Costa De La Luz, somewhere between Sanlucar De Barrameda and as far South as Chiclana De La Frontera, it can be coastal or inland.
I'm particulalry interested in members sharing their love for a town/city/region so I can do some more research and also make a note of said place when we come over for our first reccy.

I've read that some beaches in the area allow dogs, is that so? We have 3 and that would be a big draw for us and them too.
We are keen golfers so 15-30 minutes to a golf course/s would be good.
We need to be near a gym and not too far from shops/r/rants and maybe a bar or two.

We'll come over for 2-3 weeks so any recommendations for a hotel/ appartments/car hire company would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you, TIA.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: also Moving To Spain

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well Chiclana would be ideal for your wants with the beaches etc. You can walk in the winter without problems and there are plenty of bars etc and Jerez Sherry golf course is excellent or at least my OH tells me so.

However, tell us a bit more about your circumstances. There is no work here so you would need to have your own income. Are you planning to rent or buy. I would advise renting there would be plenty of choice and at very cheap rates.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Tuco is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Well Chiclana would be ideal for your wants with the beaches etc. You can walk in the winter without problems and there are plenty of bars etc and Jerez Sherry golf course is excellent or at least my OH tells me so.

However, tell us a bit more about your circumstances. There is no work here so you would need to have your own income. Are you planning to rent or buy. I would advise renting there would be plenty of choice and at very cheap rates.
Hi and thank you for your reply. Chiclana is on the list of places to check out for sure.
I'm lucky enough to be semi-retired with an income, subject to Osborne and Co. not bankrupting the country (I digress). We'd be renting to begin with, we need to find the location that ticks all the boxes and live there a while before taking the big plunge.

Any tips on hotels to stay/car hire companies/must see places etc. are gratefully received.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuco
Hi and thank you for your reply. Chiclana is on the list of places to check out for sure.
I'm lucky enough to be semi-retired with an income, subject to Osborne and Co. not bankrupting the country (I digress). We'd be renting to begin with, we need to find the location that ticks all the boxes and live there a while before taking the big plunge.

Any tips on hotels to stay/car hire companies/must see places etc. are gratefully received.
There is a small hotel called Antonios in El Colorado which comes under Conil. We stayed there when we first came over 10 years ago. Would recommend for economy and good food. So many places to see in the area. Cant help with car hire though. I would stay away from any where that has pine trees as you will get the dreaded caterpillar.