Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Protection for my dogs!

Protection for my dogs!

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Protection for my dogs!

Hi all,
I live in Mijas and have two dogs.
Though I appreciate dangerous dog laws are quite strict here in Spain, many people seem to flout the law which unfortunately for my Golden Retriever, who is as soft as teddy bear, was attacked by two unleashed and unmuzzled pitbulls. Though the owner was later very apologetic, it took us both some time to remove his dogs by which time, my dog was bleeding heavily from his neck and back leg and having a great deal of difficulty walking.
The previous week, he was chased and badly bitten by a wild boar ... no his name isn´t lucky!
A neighbour has advised me, as she does, to carry a Tazer as these sort of attacks aren´t infrequent events.
In hind sight this would have been ideal but I´m not sure if it is even legal.
Also, if I had "Tazered" one of the pitbulls and injured it, would I have been in trouble with the law?
Any advise would be appreciated as I really need to be able to protect my dogs.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

funinthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud of
Default Re: Protection for my dogs!

Should have tazered the b....y owner
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

funinthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud of

Where do you get a tazer from
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funinthesun
Where do you get a tazer from
I´ve heard you can buy them from a shop in Marbella but can´t confirm. They are available on the internet but this is very much unchartered waters!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 6:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Pepper spray or a good stout home made walking stick might do the job.

I had a spot of bother a few years back so first I stocked up with pepper spray then I made a heavy steel walking stick and honed the end to a fine point.
Never been bothered since.

As Corporal Jones used to say, "They don't like it up em".
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Is pepper spray effective and where do you get it
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 8:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funinthesun
Is pepper spray effective and where do you get it
Yeh, dogs hate even the faintest whiff of the stuff.
I ordered it on line from the US when I was in Sweden for the Summer.

Naturally the package was marked as something else for the benefit of customs, but I can't recall what it was now.
I ordered two slightly different sprays from 2 places, they both came through ok.

Before that I had some CS gas sprays that a Belgian girlfriend posted me down to Tenerife, evil stuff that, think I might still have one left in England but I don't know if it's still usable now.

Talking of dogs, I was checking the oil in my car a few hours ago and a bloody snake shot out from underneath it.
For a split second I was wondering what to do, not knowing if it was poisonous or not.

Well I didn't have time to decide before in a split second my Jack Russell went for it and snapped its head in his mouth.
Jeez,I was worried for a while until I checked it out on line and fortunately it seemed to be non venomous.
Had it been poisonous he could have been a goner.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Jun 3rd 2013 at 9:10 pm. Reason: add on
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha Dick,,,, dogs name's not Mutleeee is it?? I had a snake in my woodpile yesterday... left it well alone until I am more familiar with which are venomous and which are not...
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:37 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely pepper spray - it's legal in Spain.

Effective? It will stop a charging Grizzly (allegedly).

Have you used it yet Dick?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:27 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
. left it well alone until I am more familiar with which are venomous and which are not...
Most are not venomous and those that are, mainly the adder/viper family, are pretty rare.

The one you are most likely to meet is the Montpelier snake which although venomous, rarely bites. I have seen quite a few and they are impressive - 2 metres long!

More info here http://www.ruralspain.info/snakesinspain.htm
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:44 am
Account Closed

Thank you all ... I´ll look into the snakes later ... for now, I think I´m off to buy some pepper spray! Thanks again
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IamStu
Thank you all ... I´ll look into the snakes later ... for now, I think I´m off to buy some pepper spray! Thanks again
So sorry to hear about your troubles with your dog. I have the same problem up here in our village,where I have the choice of being attacked by two large alsatians or seven or eight little village dogs,depending on which way I go.
My dog,a husky,is always on the lead,has all the proper paper-work,and friendly to boot,but we are always on the look-out whenever we go out(four times a day).
I have had words with the owner of the alsatians,he is always apologetic,but that doesn't help. So I now carry a very stout walking stick,with a heavy brass head,and have had to use it twice now,to good effect,and find that when we come upon an aggressive dog,I only have to point it and away they go. I hate having to do this,I love dogs and to think of hitting one is upsetting to me,but it has to be done. Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:29 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
So sorry to hear about your troubles with your dog. I have the same problem up here in our village,where I have the choice of being attacked by two large alsatians or seven or eight little village dogs,depending on which way I go.
My dog,a husky,is always on the lead,has all the proper paper-work,and friendly to boot,but we are always on the look-out whenever we go out(four times a day).
I have had words with the owner of the alsatians,he is always apologetic,but that doesn't help. So I now carry a very stout walking stick,with a heavy brass head,and have had to use it twice now,to good effect,and find that when we come upon an aggressive dog,I only have to point it and away they go. I hate having to do this,I love dogs and to think of hitting one is upsetting to me,but it has to be done. Good luck.
Good thinking.
Sounds similar to the all steel weapon/walking stick that I made quite a while back.
Fortunately I've not had much use for it lately or the pepper spray, but I keep them on stand-by just in case.
In reply to the OP since I got the pepper spray, I've not really needed it, but I have kind of tested it out shall I say, on a big dog that came a little too close for comfort and I can assure you that it works quite well.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Good stuff, thank you all.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

pepper spray... where do you get it...? please ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.