Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:31 am
Just Joined

chris5317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Hi JoJo - thanks for the link on the school. Its been our hardest decision by far. We reviewed the nabss wesbsite, but i don;t recall seeing that one on the list.
So far i've visited three schools the British College, Sunlands + St Anthony's. The first felt more like a prison than a school, i'm sure very good academically, but it felt very solen. So it was a choice between the other two and Sunland pipped it on location ie closer to our preferred areas, although i really did like St Anthony's. I will have a look at the school you reommended as I'm coming over in November and I haven't parted with any cash yet re school places, just had a verbal confirmation of places. Its almost impossible i think to get the school right straight away and i'm prepared for the possibility that we may need to change after a term or so ...

Hi Bob - re work nothing sorted out yet, i'm an accountant by trade so if i can;t find anything i can always go back to London and temp to top up on our renatl income from London
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris5317

Hi Bob - re work nothing sorted out yet, i'm an accountant by trade so if i can;t find anything i can always go back to London and temp to top up on our renatl income from London
Can you be an accountant with British qualifications in Spain?

Are you hot on Spanish accounting regulations for businesses and individuals?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

We chose Grande over Torre. Grande has more of a feel of Spain, Torre reminded me of the film Stepford Wives, everything looked the same. Grande may have been an British enclave in the past but is certainly not like that now. We have been he three years, never had a problem with Gypsies or Crime, however we do live out in the Campo. As somebody else said, everywhere in Spain has these problems.

As for Schools, PM for my views as I work in one of them!!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Hi Cricketman - I'm currently brushing up on any different tax laws etc

Hi Zaragozaram - PM sent
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris5317
Hi Cricketman - I'm currently brushing up on any different tax laws etc

Hi Zaragozaram - PM sent
There are different tax laws but also different accounting procedures

You'll also need to be fluent in Spanish I would think and know the system.

Maybe people on here can let you know if they've come across a British accountant in Spain and what skills they had to learn to work in Spain. I would think most people use Spanish gestores, that are not as qualified as an accountant but are cheaper
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Cricketman - ok thanks for the advice
Old Aug 21st 2012, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
. As somebody else said, everywhere in Spain has these problems.
I've never come across a village that looks and feels as rough as Alhaurin El Grande - and I've been to a lot of places in Spain. The only place I can equate it to was when I was in the Gypsy neighbourhood of Barcelona called Besós

Still, plenty of people who come on this forum tend to like it so it may be right for you

One thing AEG definitely is not, is the "real Spain". When I was there with my wife she said the only Spaniards there were gypsies. Which isnt a problem if you like gyspy culture (and I do!), but good luck fitting in!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Again thanks for the heads up. It always hard to tell when you have only visited somewhere for a day a piece over a couple of visits.

Looks like Torre it is ...
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

I have very strong views of international schools and would steer well clear of St. Anthony´s, they absolutely messed up my son´s A´levels with teachers not being available to teach and their lack of support. My daughter is just about to start her Baccalaureate 2 year course at Spanish school and has been happy throughout her 5 years there with never any problems or bullying. In fact her whole class has gone up to start this course which is a very high percentage of pupils especially in Spanish school. My daughter has lots of friends at International schools and yes they are doing well but as for learning Spanish they all lack, so in my opinion if you come to Spain surely you want to be able to at least communicate in Spanish. As for living in Alhaurin El Grande it definitely beats de la Torre on character and a more village way of life.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Hi Shoptilludrop - thanks again re school advice.
Re Spanish communication i agree, the boys currently have a home tutor teaching them the basics pre move.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've never come across a village that looks and feels as rough as Alhaurin El Grande - and I've been to a lot of places in Spain.

Whilst I respect your opinion, can I suggest you have been looking in the wrong places?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

I totally agree with Zaragozaram. Just because we live in AEG we are not sticking up for it but having lived here for nearly 10 years we have obviously seen lots of changes. I really could not call it rough-looking they certainly make it look as pretty as possible and I know many Spanish people here and they are definitely not gypsies. Anyway it is not only Spanish gypsies that live in Spain.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:25 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I guess its all down to personal choice. I found El Grande rough and intimidating. I used to work in a cafe there and there were some strange characters around. My sons friend got beaten up by some Spanish lads at the feria a couple of years ago. But of course, it depends on how you are and how you feel. Some would say that it has a villagie feel??!! That said, I think most people live in the campo surrounding it and only ever really nip there to go to mercadona etc. De la Torre is more "snobby" and it isnt a village, its a modern town, first impressions are that its clean and well thought out, altho it is quite spread out. Its certainly more spanish, altho it doesnt have that "white washed village" appearance. In fact a friend of mine said it reminded her of Florida! The road driving into it from Malaga is certainly very neat. Perfectly manicured palm trees lining shiny clean pavements....

we lived in El Romeral and in L'Alqueria for a couple of years, both are villages close to El Grande, but we always went to De la Torre if we needed anything

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Aug 21st 2012 at 10:29 am.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Lets put a little togetherness back into the forum.

We surely can agree they are both better than Coin!!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:30 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
Lets put a little togetherness back into the forum.

We surely can agree they are both better than Coin!!
yeah, you've got a point LOLOLOL

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.