Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

chris5317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Hi all, just after a bit of advice. I appreciate this is all subject to opinion and everyones opinion will be differrent. But after visiting several times my partner and I with our two kids should be heading over in Jan 2013.

We're looking to settle in Alharuin and can't decide which area we like the most out of the two. Can't anyone offer any pointers / advice. Which area has the highest concentration of English families for example ?

Also we'd obviously like to make friends both English and Spanish when we move. Apart from drinking in the local bars / restaurnats etc , and meeting parents through schools are there any social club links for the areas above that anyone here could pass on for adults + children ?

Thanks
chris
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alhaurin Grande vs Torre

Alhaurin de la Torre is a satellite town for Malaga, so more likely to have Spanish professionals and families who commute into Malaga

Alhaurin El Grande is on the wrong side of the mountain and is occupied by British people looking for somewhere cheap to live, Spanish gypsies and Latin American immigrants. However, feels more like a village, de la Torre is more like suburbs
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

I live and have had a business in Alhaurin el Grande for 9 years and I would say that there are more English families here than Alhaurin de la Torre, but that said sadly lots of families have returned to the UK. Firstly how old are your children ? My daughter is now 17 and is studying at Spanish school and unfortunately there are no clubs as such but obviously if they went to an International school I think there are various after school activities, it´s a matter of preference and price. Alhaurin el Grande is quite a busy town especially at the weekends with lots of bars and restaurants and in my opinion very friendly. I think de la Torre is more spread out and does not have that "villagey" feel but it is up to you to decide what feels right for you. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi - Cricketman - when you say 'wrong side of the mountain' what do you mean ?

Hi - Shoptilludrop - our children are 8 + 4 and will initially (for the first year anyway) be attending Sunland Int School

I think it would suit us more to be somewhere more compact and busy coming from London
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris5317
Hi - Cricketman - when you say 'wrong side of the mountain' what do you mean ?

Hi - Shoptilludrop - our children are 8 + 4 and will initially (for the first year anyway) be attending Sunland Int School

I think it would suit us more to be somewhere more compact and busy coming from London
It's the wrong side of the mountain in terms of beng too far away from Malaga to commute, although I think they've recently opened a new motorway

If you're coming from London, then I would equate living Alhaurin El Grande to maybe Wembly or Miles End. Lots of poor immigrant families and high crime (I have a relative there who is constantly robbed by their gypsy neighbours)

De La Torre would be more like an Ealing or maybe a West Wickham or something

Whether you like it depends where you are coming from and what you are expecting of course. Personally I'd rather be closer to Malaga. But then I think the whole stretch between Malaga and Marbella isnt very nice, although the cities themselves actually are very nice
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

We also came from London and now live in the campo (countryside) of Alhaurin el Grande. Alhaurin de la Torre has more urbanisations and is much closer to the airport. If your children are going to Sunland then it would be an easier journey from El Grande, but do consider putting them into Spanish school as they are at the right age and will pick up the language very quickly and mix with children of many nationalities. I agree with Cricketman about Spanish gypsies but there again they are in most Spanish towns and villages along with immigrants but that is the way of the world and to be honest it has never caused a problem for us.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi - Cricketman - your comment re crime concerns me as we have two young children and don;t want to expose them to unnecesary danger. Is this problem in certain parts of Grande only or throughout ? The last thing we need is to move somewhere where we feel unsafe

Our expectation levels are intially quite low. I'm expecting to get most things wrong first time anyway, re areas etc but thats to be expected i guess with a moveof this magnitude.

The school is in Cartama Estacion so closer to Malaga could work any suggestions as i'm planning on coming over in Novemeber to do some mopre groundwork
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi - shoptilludrop - re commute to school we've been told its roughly a 15 min drive from either, but i presume you mean the roads are easier from Grande ?

Also we have been mulling the Spanish vs English school debate for sometime now. The reason for opting to Sunlands was is if it all went horribly wrong we could slot back into the Uk education system much easier. If we make it to six month / 1 year mark we would then make the switch.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

If you live in the actual town you will find that the Spanish children all play outside from a very young age and if you live in the countryside then you will have lots of outside space for them to play in and get lots of fresh air. You will find it will be hard to keep them inside even in the winter when it gets quite chilly. Wherever you live you will hear about crime, tell me where there is anywhere crime free. You just have to be on your guard like you would be anywhere else in the world and just enjoy your time here in Spain.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Outside space, a sense of freedom and a better climate for the little ones is definately one of the biggest draws for us
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris5317
Outside space, a sense of freedom and a better climate for the little ones is definately one of the biggest draws for us
Yes the kids will be able to play outside most the year round. And dont worry nobody will steal your children

The biggest problem is low educational expectations in these areas - dropouts etc

I lived in Benalmadena Pueblo and the little kids in the state nursery were the happiest kids I've ever seen. Racing up and down on their little motorbikes in the playground all year round. Thats great when they are 3 or 4, but not sure how good it is when they are 13 or 14

I would want to be based closer to the city because of the kids your children would mix with, more aspirational. And you have the cultural activities of the city at your doorstep. Teenagers hate closed boring villages
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with C/man, De la Torre is more upmarket
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks all , input appreciated
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:54 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Cricketman has nailed it - for a change lol!!! De la Torre is a clean, modern, affluent town. Mainly housing professionals from Malaga. El Grande is/was an expat town, more "spanish looking", but many of those expats have left and the town has suffered,

we lived in De la Ttore and loved it, we also lived on the outskirts of El Grande and even then preferred to go to De la Torre, its much less rough!

My children went to Sunlands before it was taken over by Novaschool and it wasnt that great. The best school in the area IMO is http://www.colegiomit.com/en

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Aug 20th 2012 at 10:56 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

What work do you have lined up Chris?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.