Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Algemesi, (North of Valencia)

Algemesi, (North of Valencia)

Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Trasnadonnta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Algemesi, (North of Valencia)

Does anybody know anything about Algemesi? Any info of what it might be like to spend time living there would be most welcome asap. Many thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Algemesi, (North of Valencia)

What sort of thing do you want to know about it? I have visited it in the past but not recently. It is inland, good size, ordinary working town full of Spanish people. Great swimming pool. I do not know if many Brits live there. The nearest large town is Alzira.

Rosemary
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Rosemary. I was wondering whether it was rough or quiet, with little or a lot of crime etc. I was hoping somebody living there would give an insight into the general condition of the town, whether the people appeared friendly/unfriendly, whether there were many foreigners there. Any Brits? Clubs, surrounding nature, leisure activities etc. General feedback.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

It is a very pleasant, normal Spanish working town, the people that I have met there in the past were very friendly. I used the swimming pool three times a week for a year and had many basic little friendly conversations with others using it. No idea if we have members living there but I do know that although there are Brits in this area they are few and far between so being willing and able to mix with the Spanish would be very important. I do not know about clubs but you may be able to find out that information by googling your interests.

I live about 20 kms away and if I tell you that I know no Brits at all and even when visiting the large Carrefour in Alzira I can count on one hand how often I have heard any Brits speaking and I have lived here since 2006. My husband and I went to the town a few times but I cannot remember anything really about the shops in the town, there is a nice paseo and of course loads of places to eat.

They have the usual events that all of the towns have but they also are famous for "castling" where they form large groups and climb up each other to make different formations and at the top there is a child.

Sorry that I do not have an in depth knowledge of the town.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:22 am

Forgot to say that there is a good train service because Algemesi is on the line from Xativa to Valencia city which is a wonderful place to visit. However, as with a lot of places in Spain it is necessary to have a car as it is a lovely area to drive around and visit the smaller towns.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:26 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the title of this thread, I'm a little confused. Algemesi is SOUTH of Valencia, not North.

Are we talking about the same place?

If you mean the Algemesi that is South, then it's a very typical Spanish town with little going on. There is a great social life at the local indoor market and a very vibrant outdoor market.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Looking at the title of this thread, I'm a little confused. Algemesi is SOUTH of Valencia, not North.

Are we talking about the same place?

If you mean the Algemesi that is South, then it's a very typical Spanish town with little going on. There is a great social life at the local indoor market and a very vibrant outdoor market.
I thought the same initially but then remembered that it is North Valencia Province.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2015, 9:28 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I thought the same initially but then remembered that it is North Valencia Province.

Rosemary
I agree but certainly not North of Valencia.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. Much appreciated. One of the reasons I was thinking positively about this town is because of the rail connections to Valencia and bus connection to Alzira. I don't drive unfortunately. The only info I have found from Googling relates to the bullfighting protests. It's nice to hear the locals are friendly.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Snikpoh, do you know of any areas of the town that are better avoided? I am looking at properties in various parts of the town. I hope to go there in a few weeks' time to see for myself, but any info gleaned in advance is a great help. This site is great.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:44 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta
Snikpoh, do you know of any areas of the town that are better avoided? I am looking at properties in various parts of the town. I hope to go there in a few weeks' time to see for myself, but any info gleaned in advance is a great help. This site is great.
As far as I remember, they are all much the same. Where the crematorium is seems very industrial but other than that, I really couldn't advise.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta
If you tell me the names of the areas I can ask my friends if they have any knowledge of what they are like, cannot promise but someone might be able to tell me.

Rosemary
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Snikpoh. I certainly WILL avoid any industrial area (and especially one with a crematorium!)...both your and Rosemary's feedback has already been a great help.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Rosemary, that would be very kind. I have no specific area or property in mind as I haven't visited yet. When I do specific properties in mind I'll let you know the areas they're in. I'll be visiting the town shortly to have a look at what's available, following a holiday in Nerja.